Questions re: Making a sweet black tea (Lipton type)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
So it seems we can make liquids by soaking flavored "things" in our PG, like Snus. So I want to try a sweet black tea and was curious about the proportions. When I make a 6 ounce-ish cup of tea, I use a single tea bag. For vaping purposes, do I want to make a much stronger brew? Obviously until I know how well it works I don't particularly want to make a gallon of it. In my head (a dark and scary place for anything), it would seem simple enough to warm the PG with tea bag up in the microwave and allow it to cool. I do like my vapor, so I would be adding VG somewhere in the process (since they have different temperature thresholds, I wasn't sure if blending them pre-microwave would screw things up).

Also, if it works, would there be any reason I couldn't use one of those little coffee pots to make it using PG since I don't think the thickness of VG would lend itself well to that maneuver. Could you do it with coffee?

Do you have to refrigerate these? As I discovered when I failed to clean a coffee pot before going on vacation, even black coffee will grow mold. Does something about PG or VG inhibit that?

Springbird

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Connecticut
I'm intrigued. I would be careful heating PG in the microwave. I don't know how hot it would get. It might get very hot. I mix an Earl Grey Tea/ Sweet Cream (TPA flavors) that is one of my very favorites. It never occurred to me to use a real tea bag. It sounds like the inside of your head is an imaginative/creative place.

Jynn

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
louisville ky
I have steeped lipton tea bags in PG and then let it sit around for a few days to really permeate. I used 2 bags in a 30ml bottle of PG. The liquid itself taste and smells just like sweet tea, but when vaped its still a little too light on flavor. you could always supplement it with a lil black tea flavoring and sweetener and I bet it would be just right. I keep mine in the fridge, I doubt it would actually cause any problems to just leave it out tho.

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
Do you have to refrigerate these? As I discovered when I failed to clean a coffee pot before going on vacation, even black coffee will grow mold. Does something about PG or VG inhibit that?

From Wikipedia:

When used as a primary true alcohol-free botanical extraction solvent in innovative non-tincture based methodologies, Glycerol, as a glycerin and water base extractive solvent mix, has been shown, both in literature and through innovative extraction applications, to possess a high degree of extractive versatility for botanicals including removal of numerous constituents and complex compounds, often equal to or greater than that for ethanol. Glycerol is a stable preserving agent for botanical extracts that, when utilized in proper concentrations in an extraction solvent base, not only preserves safety and purity but does not allow inverting or REDOX of a finished extract's constituents over many years. Both Glycerol and ethanol are viable preserving agents. Glycerol is bacteriostatic in its action, and ethanol is bactericidal in its action. However, Glycerol possesses no secondary denaturing or inert rendering effects on a botanical extract's constituents, hence, Glycerol's preferred use in making many botanical extracts and use in pharmaceuticals where this quality is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread