Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Williamsport, PA
Good day vaping friends,

I have some questions and I'd love to draw on your experience. I am beginning to deduce that there is a balance required in builds for tanks as a generality. I take long drags and I like a slightly warm, dense vape. It seems as though if I make a build that would give me the vape I want, the wicking won't keep up. I have to take shorter drags and get much less of that chewy, delicious vapor. Am I chasing a unicorn? Is my wicking bad? It certainly may be; I've got less than two dozen wick jobs under the 'ole belt.

I currently have rayon, organic cotton, PnC yarn and Koga cotton at my disposal. I'm having better luck with cotton, which is odd to me, since all indications are that rayon is less fickle than cotton and technically a better wicking material. I have been mostly sticking to 28 gauge, but I've tried 24, 26 and 30. I've built low, I've built high. I think about a power level I'd like to vape at and model coils at 270-280mw/mm^2 on steam engine to come up with the fastest coil I can make with the most surface area.

An example, I built a tesioned MC for my Erl clone. It's 1.2 ohm, 2.4 mm and wicked with Koga. I use Qorax's instructions from the authentic thread. Big fluffly shoulders that are straight on the vertical plane with the shoulders of the wick channels. Cotton is very thin in the channels stopping where the juice ring would sit if you have it installed. I've ran the tank both ways, I have better luck without the ring. I have no issues with flooding or leaking. In order to get the flavor closest to my single coil magma (incidentally, the same coil build that's in this) I have to run it between 10-11 watts compared to ~18 on the magma clone. Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators As you can see at 10W, it's humming along at 148mw/mm^2. It's not as cool as you would think, the wicking can keep up, the vapor isn't there, but the flavor is pretty good; it belies the vapor production.

If I set this little fella to run at ~18W, the way I'd prefer to run it, the flavor goes haywire in a bad way and I can only draw for 2-3 seconds before the wicking runs out. To be fair, it's not like I'm having better luck with my RDAs. That spanner in the works, makes me think it's my wicking as a primary cause secondarliy backed up by misinterpretation of coil specifications.

My Aquas give me a vapor that I like, but like everything else, fall short on wicking. If I turn them down to cook cooler, the wicking keeps up but density and temperature suffer. They're built to .6 duals with 28ga. One is 2.4 and the other is 3mm to experiment with wick thickness and coil proportions. It's only been half a day in the running so far, so I haven't been able to make any solid conclusions yet about either thing.

I've seen too many videos of dudes rippin' off 8-10 second draws off of tanks set to higher wattages that I run to know that it's impossible. However, I think I'm just missing something that will make me slap my forehead. Perhaps my expectations are a bit off. I'm not trying to enter cloud comps with my setups, but I swear it feels like I'm missing a lot of performance compared to others.

Also, while I have your attention, do your tanks bubble evenly after taking a hit? Looking at how the tanks I have get their juice, I don't think it's indicative of anything other than letting you know that you've achieved enough vacuum in the tank to make it re-balance itself hysdrostatically. The wrench in that is that I have oriented the tanks multiple ways and it's always the same hole (or holes on my aqua) that bubbles.

Sorry about all the questions and the wall of text that just critted you for over 9000. I'm a really curious guy who needs to understand as many facets as I can about my hobbies. Thanks y'all.

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Williamsport, PA
You're right roxy, but that's part of the equation. It's a requirement to produce the amount of vapor I like. I don't really think that 20W +/- 5 is a lot to ask for. Again, I'm not try to #cloudsbroclouds. I simply like a healthy amount of vapor. RDAs can produce more vapor than I like and RTAs almost get me there. It seems to me that I can get there, but I'm not doing something correctly. FWIW, I'm not a watt snob, I'm running at 12 watts on the Magma right now and it's a satisfying vape.

Thanks.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Honestly, I get a good amount of vapor from all of them, but the more airflow, the more vapor. The Orchid, Billow, Silverplay and Goblin make more vapor than, say, a Kayfun. My RDAs probably all make more vapor than my RTAs except maybe the Orchid. I admit, I chase flavor. None of them produce less than a cigarette did so I guess I'm happy.

nasca

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
USA
I've seen too many videos of dudes rippin' off 8-10 second draws off of tanks set to higher wattages that I run to know that it's impossible. However, I think I'm just missing something that will make me slap my forehead. Perhaps my expectations are a bit off. I'm not trying to enter cloud comps with my setups, but I swear it feels like I'm missing a lot of performance compared to others.

I suspect clouds look bigger and denser on camera. And it's hard to quantify draw based on time alone.

Also, how about increasing VG?

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Williamsport, PA
I've re-wicked paying more attention to thinning my tails and that seems to be helping. I re-built the Erl-a-like and I am almost there. I need to double check the wick, but I think I thinned a bit too much, it's borderline flooding. I also built it with a higher resistance coil, that tamed the odd qualities of the vape. It was too sharp, if that makes any sense. It's loaded up with Space Jam Omega. No sense of the cream at all, but tons of peach and strawberry. Which was still quite good, but not what I was looking for. Went from 1.2 to 1.8 and it vapes very well anywhere between 12-22 watts. I've been holding tight at 15. It's a nice, smooth vape. I just have to re-wick it tomorrow to fix my error and stop up the flooding.

Nasca, you're completely correct with the thought that clouds appear larger than they are. I setup a camera for grins tonight to compare what it seems to me vs how it would look on them there internets. I feel like a rockstar now, lol. It's always the little things that you don't even consider.

I thank you all for helping me out here.

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Williamsport, PA
Keep in eye on the Joyetech Delta II, I think it will be just what you are looking for.

Yeah, I've been eyeballing it. It's that or the 22mm subtank, but I'm leaning towards the Delta.

Not that it matters to anyone, but I am going to have a go with standard coils instead of micro-coils. I'll post up what I find.

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Williamsport, PA
So, first off, the standard coil is in. Secondly, it's not hard to wrap a standard coil, but it was hard for me to nail the resistance. I plugged in 28ga, 1.5 ohm and .5mm spacing into steam engine and it told me 12 wraps! Holy smokes. Well, that wouldn't fit on the deck, so I took a wrap off and it metered out to 2.0. Hmm. I can live with that, I use a regulated mod.

How's it vape, you ask? To be fair, it's hard to attribute the changes in vape since there were multiple changes in effect. I've changed wicks, coil resistance and type of coil. Having disclaimed that, I find this to be providing a pretty danged good vape now. It's not a vapor monster, but the flavor is now there in its entirety. I get a nice balance of cream, strawberries and peaches out of Space Jam Omega. Which is good, since what's in the tank is all I have left, lol. I'm purring along at 20 watts and I can take those loooong pulls that I like and wicking keeps up. Big pulls keep me from chain vaping, I just take a toot every few minutes instead of chaining smaller pulls for a cig-like session. Chain vaping all the same, but it's a difference I welcome.

It vapes well and differently throughout the power range. 10 watts provides a very cool vape with the fruits coming across in the foreground with a pleasant tartness to them and the cream on the exhale. At 12, things get a bit more sweet, vapor increases and the cream is more noticeable. This trend continues as power increases. I haven't went beyond 22 with it, the vape gets too warm on long pulls. 18W is my preferred setting at the moment. It's a great balance of flavors that provides the best balance of vape qualities that suit my preferences for temp, density and quantity.

I saw a video come across my subs from VapeMiser and he was talking about the differences in flavor production from resistance changes. I was intrigued and I look forward to confirming for myself. I'll most likely rebuild it tomorrow again to try and get the 1.5 I was aiming for. I'll let you all know. Let's learn and experiment together. :)

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Williamsport, PA
Yeah, I was just telling a buddy that I'll probably just get a Lemo in black. Not sure if I want the drop or the regular. My local shop has them, so I'll go take a peek.

I have been putting 2-3 mm between the coil and the airflow based on Qorax's recommendation in the authentic thread. I'm willing to rebuild a few more times, but I'll probably put a 30 gauge build in it and give it to my dad to use on his vv ego battery.

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
So, first off, the standard coil is in. Secondly, it's not hard to wrap a standard coil, but it was hard for me to nail the resistance. I plugged in 28ga, 1.5 ohm and .5mm spacing into steam engine and it told me 12 wraps! Holy smokes. Well, that wouldn't fit on the deck, so I took a wrap off and it metered out to 2.0. Hmm. I can live with that, I use a regulated mod.

How's it vape, you ask? To be fair, it's hard to attribute the changes in vape since there were multiple changes in effect. I've changed wicks, coil resistance and type of coil. Having disclaimed that, I find this to be providing a pretty danged good vape now. It's not a vapor monster, but the flavor is now there in its entirety. I get a nice balance of cream, strawberries and peaches out of Space Jam Omega. Which is good, since what's in the tank is all I have left, lol. I'm purring along at 20 watts and I can take those loooong pulls that I like and wicking keeps up. Big pulls keep me from chain vaping, I just take a toot every few minutes instead of chaining smaller pulls for a cig-like session. Chain vaping all the same, but it's a difference I welcome.

It vapes well and differently throughout the power range. 10 watts provides a very cool vape with the fruits coming across in the foreground with a pleasant tartness to them and the cream on the exhale. At 12, things get a bit more sweet, vapor increases and the cream is more noticeable. This trend continues as power increases. I haven't went beyond 22 with it, the vape gets too warm on long pulls. 18W is my preferred setting at the moment. It's a great balance of flavors that provides the best balance of vape qualities that suit my preferences for temp, density and quantity.

I saw a video come across my subs from VapeMiser and he was talking about the differences in flavor production from resistance changes. I was intrigued and I look forward to confirming for myself. I'll most likely rebuild it tomorrow again to try and get the 1.5 I was aiming for. I'll let you all know. Let's learn and experiment together. :)

I think you miscalculated the coil. 28g 8 wraps 2.4mm (3/32") ID should give you about a 1.4Ω coil, 9 wraps for a 1.6Ω coil. Not sure what the ".5mm spacing" is in reference to. Most likely you kept the 1.4mm (default) ID in steam engine when you plugged the numbers. 2.4mm is probably the smallest ID you want to go.

Last edited:

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Williamsport, PA
Okay. I've rebuilt again. After watching the video with Gunter (or is it Gunther, eh, too lazy to google.), I noticed that he built a fairly beefy coil. 1 ohm. The guy next to him said 26 gauge but looking at the number of wraps and guessing the size of his screwdriver, I think it was 28. Still, I wanted to try 26. I wrapped up a honey of a coil. 3mm, 26ga 1 ohm. Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators It comes out to 1.1 on my mod, but the there is more length to the wire since they are wrapped all the way around the screws. I'm fine with that.

One thing to note. The Angelcigs clone has a really hard time capturing the leads. The screws really need a more wide and flat shoulder, but if you wrap most or all the way around the screw, you can do alright. With 26 gauge, this really becomes an issue. I needed to make a second coil since the legs were a smidge too short to grab with my needlenose and wrap around the screw. A trip to the hardware store is imminent. I wicked her up with a borderline silly amount of rayon and trimmed and thinned and then thinned some more. I should also mention, 3mm is a bit of a squeeze. If I build it again anytime soon, I'll see if I have something I can use in the 2.7 neighborhood as a mandrel. I'm sure I do.

I let it sit for 15 minutes or so, and took gentle dry puffs for another 10 minutes or so. No, not the whole time, just every minute or two until it felt like it was borderline flooded. I vaped on it for a bit and it was okay, but pretty warm even at 10-12W. I decided to let it sit overnight and make sure the wick is fully saturated. Now, we're getting somewhere. It vapes really, really well now. If you chain it, lower wattage is better. It's no longer a warm vape at 10W like last night. Which was weird to me since it is 26 gauge. It must have been a non-saturated wick. I know, I should have juiced it up first, but I'm almost out of this juice and my syringe wasn't handy to dip into the tank. I really like it set at 20W. It's a warm vape, but the flavor is really something special. Any higher and it's too hot to chain, should the mood strike. And, this is the best wick job I've gotten on it yet.

I feel I'm nearing the end of the experiment phase, I'm no longer planning the next build. However, I am really considering drilling out the airflow hole and slightly enlarging the air holes in the base and adding a bit of chamfer to them. That should quiet it down a bit and put the airflow where I like it. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I run without the AFC bit installed. I plopped an o-ring around the 510 post since that seems to quiet it down and improve airflow a little bit since it's no longer screwed down all the way. If I had to guess, I'd say there's a little less than a 1/16 between the top of my mod and the bottom of the "teeth."

Anyone else mod their Erl clone like I'm considering? Tips, pointers? I wouldn't normally chase the experience like this, but the potential has shown itself. FWIW, the airhole on the deck is <2mm. I can't fit my 2mm rod in it, so I'd guess it's 1.7-1.8mm. I'd prefer to just drill that out and chamfer it, chamfer the holes in the base and be done. The open area (in a geometric sense) is way more than can flow up through the hole in the pos pin assembly.

Thanks for reading. :)

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Williamsport, PA
I had considered that route as well. I'm less on the fence about this atty than I was yesterday, but I'd still rather not spend much on something I still can't make up my mind about keeping. After I'm done with the juice in here, I'll tear it fully down to bits and further evaluate. :)

As always, thanks Roxy.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
when it comes to vaping there is auto feed and then there is manual feed. auto feed tanks rely on vacuum differential and wicking ability and if you're the kind who wants to take long soft draws it's inevitable that you will run into what you have, there are limits to tank systems... this is why there are drippers, because that does not rely on any auto feed.... then there is the manual bottom feeders... to me and many others this winds up being the best compromise and the best vape possible, always a fully saturated yet not flooded wick, always a nice thick chewy vape, as long as it's built correctly for that... of course you do need to periodically manually squonk to refresh the juice to the wick but you are in control by doing this manually

automatic is nice but it does have it's limitations...

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Williamsport, PA
when it comes to vaping there is auto feed and then there is manual feed. auto feed tanks rely on vacuum differential and wicking ability and if you're the kind who wants to take long soft draws it's inevitable that you will run into what you have, there are limits to tank systems... this is why there are drippers, because that does not rely on any auto feed.... then there is the manual bottom feeders... to me and many others this winds up being the best compromise and the best vape possible, always a fully saturated yet not flooded wick, always a nice thick chewy vape, as long as it's built correctly for that... of course you do need to periodically manually squonk to refresh the juice to the wick but you are in control by doing this manually

automatic is nice but it does have it's limitations...

Yeah, I had a wishlist going in google keep of the parts I need to make a compact LiPo powered sx-mini box in a smaller than usual project box. That box has gotten bigger and I'm going to bottom feed it. It will only cost me an extra buck or so to do that. I'm okay with that and I already found a replacement cover on shapeways if bottom feeding isn't for me. Thanks for the reply

300fury said:
I Think the hardest thing about wicking is repeatability. My first try on my Aqua v2 clone was fantastic....... Hasn't been the same since. Just the slightest variation in wicking material has a serious impact on a good vape

I hear you loud and clear. I'm finding it's a tricky thing to learn with one type of wick, let alone four kinds at once. But, learning how to read the wick as you trim and feather, and how to actually make the best cuts with your tools is starting to firm up in my brain and central nervous system. So, I'm getting better.

I keep posting in here for a few reasons really. One is to solicit discussion on an idea I had, another is to help me bridge my skill gap WRT RTAs and the other is just for posterity to help other newer vapers out on their road to rebuilding. It's also quite nice to keep a record of what I've tried. What worked and what didn't and why I think what I do about the failures.

Oddly, I haven't rebuilt my Aqua clones in days now since they are working really, really well. I also put my favorite (so far) build in the Magma clone yesterday. I got tired of futzing with the Erlcloneagain, so I was reading about magma builds and I saw a suggestion of ~1 ohm duals with 30 gauge. Aye chihuahua! The flavor is just a tad better than the single I was running but now there's copious quantities of vapor with rather polite juice usage. I feel like it's practically a unicorn build.

Next up for me will be a slow mastery of Aspire BVC rebuilding and wicking while maintaining airflow and vapor production. I've got excellent flavor out of my current build, but I've established in here that I demand a minimum level of vapor performance to scratch the itch; my current BVC build doesn't meet that at all. My first honest attempt was a 3mm coil. Flavor was good, vapor was crazy good for the short hits you could take until it went dry. Story of my life, lol. I was in a hurry to rebuild it and I don't remember what's in it. I think it's a 2.4, but I'll figure that out when I tear it down in about 3/4 of an ml. Airflow is a bit weak. Keeping the wet wick tidy while you roll it back up without impeding airflow is a bit trying for me. Well, that part isn't so bad, it's getting it to stay tidy while you get the coil/wick assy back into place and the insulator and center pin reinstalled. So, like everything else, I'll have to do it a few times before I stop sucking out loud. And then a few more times to get near what I'm looking for.

Sigh, maybe I should just buy a Subtank mini. Hehe. Not a chance, I relish tinkering. :)

Thanks for your suggestions, comments and most importantly, riding along with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread