Quick note to say, "Hi!" and offer thanks to Mooch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KS_Referee

Dec 20, 2016
NE Kansas
Hello everyone! I've been reading Mooch's info on batteries for at least 8 months and have used him as my main resource for battery information regarding my vaping battery purchases. I may have used him, although I'm not too sure exactly who I used as a resource when I initially started buying separate battery cells as I moved away from the starter kits that didn't allow for battery replacement. I think I was fortunate in that all the 18650s I bought were LG HG2s, and they seem to almost always make Mooch's top 3 list for vaping batteries (at least as far as I've read).

A little about me... I've been a smoker for many years and really enjoy smoking, I just hate what smoking does to my body. That said, I've been trying to use vaping as a replacement for cigarettes for about 2 years and have come close to quitting smoking.

I'm a retired electrical engineering technician who worked for a major electric utility in the Substation Protection and Controls engineering department for many years. With my background in power and controls electrical engineering I find Mooch's battery testing information, equipment and processes fascinating. His contribution to the vaping industry/hobby is quite incredible. His documentation, along with sharing his testing methods and processes demonstrates his belief in the scientific method by allowing anyone who has the resources and equipment to duplicate his tests without question as to how his results were obtained. I've not seen anyone else involved in the vaping industry/hobby who is as thorough on their description and documentation of vaping battery testing processes. A couple have come close, but typically their actual testing process isn't shared as well and that leaves a little too much room for error because too much is assumed. For one to say they are using a good or great Fluke meter and or a very accurate thermocouple thermometer, yet not documenting what they are testing, and/or how they are testing using the equipment like the thermocouple thermometer, it allows for varied results from the testing processes. Mooch's processes, assuming he does exactly what he claims and repeats the process on every battery as he claims (which I have no reason to doubt), does not allow uncontrolled variables into the tests. That combination is scientific method 101 and I can only commend him for this.

Thanks again for all you do Mooch! Your contribution to the industry/hobby is invaluable and provides incredible information regarding safety and whether the products perform as the manufacturers claim. Add to it, you've been doing this for the industry/hobby for going on 10 years. Incredible! Thanks so much!

KS_Referee

Dec 20, 2016
NE Kansas
I suppose I should add my vaping equipment. Like I said I've been vaping a little over 2 years now. I started with several Kanger EMOW Mega starter kits. A couple for me and a couple for my wife. I recently updated my wife to a couple of Aspire K4 starter kits with Cleito sub ohm tanks. I haven't used my Kanger in quite a while.

My main mods consist of a collection (10 in total because I REALLY like them plus I've found them so dirt cheap for what you get) of triple 18650 cell powered Wismec Reuleaux RX200S mods. I also have a couple dual 18650 cell powered Sigelei 213 mods. The Sigelei mods are nice BUT I prefer the Wismec RX200S more because I can go longer before a battery change-out and I really like the feel in my hand.

I also have a bunch of RTAs in my collection. They consist of

6 - Uwell Crown These were great vaping RTAs but every one I've had has had leaking problems and I've only been able to resolve them with the help of my local vape shop owner. They were so bad I've given 2 away just to make them go away.

2 - Kanger ProTank 4 These were ok but they didn't vape as well as I hoped and I wasn't a fan of their fill system.

2 - Starre Pro Again, an ok RTA but just not quite what I wanted plus these came with NiCr and I had to throw those coils away. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not going to risk vapor off gassing from known poisonous and very carcinogenic gasses. This isn't like being exposed to diacetyl, which one also gets in analog cigarettes, these are actual things that IF they off gassed, could be deadly or seriously harmful in fairly low dosages. That said, I'll occasionally grab the Starre Pro with a kanthal coil.

2 - Smok TFV4 Mini Like it all except the need to fill too often for an RTA.

4 - Smok TFV4 I likey a LOT!

5 - Smok TFV8 Whoo baby! This is like the TFV4 but man... does this thing ever produce clouds and flavor! Occasionally I'll throw in a G2 rebuildable deck on this thing, but honestly, given the cost of coils, why bother unless it's just to experiment?

3 - Aspire Cleito Another AMAZING cloud and flavor producing RTA. I got rebuildable decks for these as well, just haven't used them as the sub ohm 0.20 and 0.27 ohm coils rock!

2 - GeekVape Tsunami RDAs I use RDAs when I'm testing e-juice that I think might taste like crap because it's easier to unwick, scrub the cloils & wash out the nasty flavor than when using a RTA.

5 - Mutation X V5 Plus RDAs A very decent and inexpensive RDA that again I use for testing e-juice I think may taste like crap.

A LARGE assortment of vaping tools with at least one duplicate on everything, just in case. (I even keep a toolbox in the truck in case someone needs something). I've got just about any wire of any size a person could want (kanthal only) and all the equipment to build any style, size (even micro) and resistance coil. My vape room/office workshop bench type area is my mancave with seating for 4 plus me. (no wives allowed, at least not MY wife! She's got her sewing/embroidery fru-fru she cavette thingy so she can keep out! Pffft!)

Last but not least... I've got several dozen e-juice flavorings, nicotine and plenty of VG/PG (gallons) and I have tried my hand at creating e-juice. Sadly, most of my attempts at e-juice flavors wind up tasting like the dingle-berries hanging on a yak's ...., so... I don't imagine I'll be selling any e-juice anytime soon. BTW, in case you weren't aware, I was told dingle-berries from a yak's .... taste nasty! I don't know first hand but I'm going to take my veteran friend's word for it.

Yes... I have more money than sense, but if my wife can have $15K wrapped up in a single embroidery machine (and she has several different machines) another $5K in a single sewing machine, PLUS a damn serger (whatever the hell THAT is) AND a CNC long-arm stitcher for quilts... in a room that is something like 6 times the size of my vape room/office/workshop... I can darn well spend the money on the stuff I want too.

Anyway, that's a little about me and my vaping. :)

Last edited:

KS_Referee

Dec 20, 2016
NE Kansas
Welcome, I believe that he just posted about more fake lg's...

Who, Mooch? I suppose anyone could buy wraps and make or order an inking stamp that resembles the stamp used on any battery, but I've had real good luck with all the LG HG2s I've purchased. My battery purchases have come from a single eBay seller with a very good reputation and an incredibly high sales volume. That and his prices have always been incredible. Maybe I've just been lucky on my batteries... but with over 30 married sets of 3, and 15 married sets of 2 that are ALL going strong and doing well, I think it's pretty safe to say I probably didn't get any fake LG batteries.

Reactions: Eskie

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hello everyone! I've been reading Mooch's info on batteries for at least 8 months and have used him as my main resource for battery information regarding my vaping battery purchases. I may have used him, although I'm not too sure exactly who I used as a resource when I initially started buying separate battery cells as I moved away from the starter kits that didn't allow for battery replacement. I think I was fortunate in that all the 18650s I bought were LG HG2s, and they seem to almost always make Mooch's top 3 list for vaping batteries (at least as far as I've read).

A little about me... I've been a smoker for many years and really enjoy smoking, I just hate what smoking does to my body. That said, I've been trying to use vaping as a replacement for cigarettes for about 2 years and have come close to quitting smoking.

I'm a retired electrical engineering technician who worked for a major electric utility in the Substation Protection and Controls engineering department for many years. With my background in power and controls electrical engineering I find Mooch's battery testing information, equipment and processes fascinating. His contribution to the vaping industry/hobby is quite incredible. His documentation, along with sharing his testing methods and processes demonstrates his belief in the scientific method by allowing anyone who has the resources and equipment to duplicate his tests without question as to how his results were obtained. I've not seen anyone else involved in the vaping industry/hobby who is as thorough on their description and documentation of vaping battery testing processes. A couple have come close, but typically their actual testing process isn't shared as well and that leaves a little too much room for error because too much is assumed. For one to say they are using a good or great Fluke meter and or a very accurate thermocouple thermometer, yet not documenting what they are testing, and/or how they are testing using the equipment like the thermocouple thermometer, it allows for varied results from the testing processes. Mooch's processes, assuming he does exactly what he claims and repeats the process on every battery as he claims (which I have no reason to doubt), does not allow uncontrolled variables into the tests. That combination is scientific method 101 and I can only commend him for this.

Thanks again for all you do Mooch! Your contribution to the industry/hobby is invaluable and provides incredible information regarding safety and whether the products perform as the manufacturers claim. Add to it, you've been doing this for the industry/hobby for going on 10 years. Incredible! Thanks so much!
I'm another fan of LG HG2 batteries.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Who, Mooch? I suppose anyone could buy wraps and make or order an inking stamp that resembles the stamp used on any battery, but I've had real good luck with all the LG HG2s I've purchased. My battery purchases have come from a single eBay seller with a very good reputation and an incredibly high sales volume. That and his prices have always been incredible. Maybe I've just been lucky on my batteries... but with over 30 married sets of 3, and 15 married sets of 2 that are ALL going strong and doing well, I think it's pretty safe to say I probably didn't get any fake LG batteries.
I wouldn't buy batteries of ebay. The positive ratings might not mean much if people don't realize they've gotten fakes, and the question is what the vendor will do if they end up getting fakes. Any battery seller might get a batch of fakes, but a reputable vendor will inform buyers when that happens and do their best to make things right.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
@KS_Referee Classic case of 3rd stage Shinitis.
retired electrical engineering technician
LOL God help me.. that put me in mind of some yahoo on youtube.
"I'm a 3rd year electrical engineer student at IT and salvaged batteries from old lap tops are fine for vaping"
Have you ever just wished you could reach through the computer screen and just...
200.gif

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread