Quick (or permanent?) cure for the dreaded dry throat/tongue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
Let me start off my saying I majored in psychology at EWU. That by no means makes me an expert on anything I'm about to say, but hey, lets give it a shot.
I recall remembering something in class about dehydration. Your body maintains a certain balance of chemicals etc within your bloodstream, and drinking water doesn't necessarily restore your bodies needs (not nutritional mind you). I believe it comes down to electrolytes.

Behold the solution, Gatorade! I bought a couple 64 oz bottles of it from the grocery store and first of all, its cheap! Something like 2 bucks a bottle or less? Not too shabby. I've only been using it for an hour or so in conjunction with vaping, and we all know how much vaping dehydrates us.

Anytime my mouth or throat feel a little uncomfortable, I take a little swig and I'm good to go. And I assume I'm properly hydrating my body as well, so that way I don't have to go through tons and tons of water.

In the meantime, I'm trying to pin it down on pg or vg. Strangely, it seems like the vg causes my dry throat, but I'm not entirely sure at the moment. I switched from 80vg/20pg to 60vg/20pg and it seems better.

TOTALLY give the gatorade a shot!!!

riseabovethestorm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Grayling, MI, USA
www.kalkaskamma.com
Another thing that works is cheap-o Country Time Lemonade. Basically you're looking for anything with a ton of sodium since sodium makes you retain more fluid (that's Gatorade's "miracle" trick: While it does rehydrate to an extent and replace electrolytes that you lose in the process of sweating, the major factor of how it works so well is that it loads you with sodium so your body holds on to more fluid). Like you said, you have to drink less Gatorade/Powerade than water because water flushes your system while sports drinks cause the adverse effect by making you hold onto it.

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
Haha I think that's what I was trying to remember from my classes. Your absolutely right though. So just any lemonade will do about the same thing? I imagine that would probably be a heck of a lot cheaper than gatorade, which isn't that expensive anyway. Hopefully this thread will help a lot of people because its really working for me

riseabovethestorm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Grayling, MI, USA
www.kalkaskamma.com
You want a mix that is artificially flavored and loaded with sugar. The reason why I specify "artificially flavored" is that they use extra sodium coupled with (in most cases) massive amounts of pectin to as a flavor enhancer and souring agent, respectively. I personally can't ever recall putting salt into homemade lemonade.

If you've ever been a church-goer, just remember what every church has at every function and serves in clear Dixie cups out of an orange Igloo beverage dispenser.

Also, the tartness of artificially flavored lemon drinks will serve a dual purpose of essentially "waking up" your taste buds (much the same way that sniffing fresh coffee grounds will perk up a fatigued olfactory bulb). Lemon-Lime Gator/Powerade does the trick for me, and I can usually pick them up from the gas station for 2/$2.

Last edited:

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
Yeah I went through a 64 oz of lemon lime Gatorade and that worked well, the clear red colored one, not so much. I also think I may just be getting a little sick and need to take a short break from vaping (oh no!) to let my body recover a bit. I've only been vaping a month, but when I'm home, I chain vape that provari like a darn hookah, so it makes sense that my body might just need to adapt a little bit.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Let me start off my saying I majored in psychology at EWU. That by no means makes me an expert on anything I'm about to say, but hey, lets give it a shot.
I recall remembering something in class about dehydration. Your body maintains a certain balance of chemicals etc within your bloodstream, and drinking water doesn't necessarily restore your bodies needs (not nutritional mind you). I believe it comes down to electrolytes.

Behold the solution, Gatorade! I bought a couple 64 oz bottles of it from the grocery store and first of all, its cheap! Something like 2 bucks a bottle or less? Not too shabby. I've only been using it for an hour or so in conjunction with vaping, and we all know how much vaping dehydrates us.

Anytime my mouth or throat feel a little uncomfortable, I take a little swig and I'm good to go. And I assume I'm properly hydrating my body as well, so that way I don't have to go through tons and tons of water.

In the meantime, I'm trying to pin it down on pg or vg. Strangely, it seems like the vg causes my dry throat, but I'm not entirely sure at the moment. I switched from 80vg/20pg to 60vg/20pg and it seems better.

TOTALLY give the gatorade a shot!!!

Water never worked for me. All it ever did was make me pee the bed. :p

A little bottle of gatorade does the trick. Got rid of that danged vapers headache. Only bad thing is my kids drink it all.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
I read about (here on ECF) the dehydration issues when I first started vaping. Didn't think it would be a problem as I've always consumed vast amounts of liquids (hot tea & ice water). Years ago it was "different" liquids, but that's another story. Anyhow, I'd been vaping for a week or two and was mowing the lawn on a hot summer day. Started feeling a little weak but didn't think much about it. When I'd finished it was all I could do to drag myself inside and sit down. I sat there almost not able to move for about 20 minutes.

I really didn't understand how I could have been so dehydrated when I was drinking lot's of water. I understand now. Thank you all for the Gatorade/salt tip.

For vapor tongue, I use candy lemon drops.

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
Also turns out that the new juice I was using from the local store is high in PG, not VG. The idiot woman working there didn't know what she was talking about and when I asked for a high VG content juice she said "oh all our juice is high VG"
Today I talked to the store owner and he told me that the juices are all high in PG. So problem explained. I thought the VG was making it worse which is totally counterintuitive to all my research.
Have some 50/50 and 100% VG juice on the way from virgin vapor. Very excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread