Status
Not open for further replies.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
A beep is a short, but to make sense of the numbers, set the multimeter to 200 Ω, as this corresponds to the highest number displayed. You want zero as this shows that no current is flowing through those two points. Anywhere the coil will be you want zero. Check a bunch of spots, and if you get zeros all around, then the likelihood of the coil finding a way through is less, but never guaranteed. ;)

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
I kind of follow you asdaq...but I don't understand what you were getting at with 200 ohms?

(I get the part about no beep means no current and successful oxidation)

if you're testing ohms, doesn't zero mean there is NO resistance and that current is having a holiday through the circuit?

and I still don't get what the numbers mean on the audible continuity test. as an example, when I recoil my cartos, after all is set up and soldered I check for continuity. On the continuity setting I hear a beep, and a 2ish ohm carto will read something like 0.02...is it giving me the resistance?

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
I think I'm mis speaking

when I have it set to audible continuity, it beeps, and reads a number

in the case of a coil around 2 ohms on a silica or cotton wick, it reads .02

in the case of the stainless steel mesh that didn't oxidize well, it reads ALL over

my question is, what does THAT number mean, the one that shows on the audible continuity setting?

EDIT: I understand that the beep means a current is flowing

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
fair enough fellas!

gonna look into MAP torches. its funny as I've used a number of stainless wicks that I thought were oxidized and never gave me a problem, but then I started checking them on the meter after a new one fried a battery, and they are ALL conducting LOL

I am using a butane torch str8, you're right

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Shop IDEAL Resi-Pro Digital Multimeter at Lowes.com

that's the one asdaq

I have used VG and just lit it on fire essentially, then dunked in water. I'll try just quenching in the VG and burning a few times, leave the water out. Maybe I'll lick the acrolein off when I'm done so I don't inhale it LOL

The propane seems like its a POUR spout, so I guess that's not going to go into my butane torch LOL

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Ha, Not one image that shows close detail, but if you set it to 200 ohms (six o-clock) it will show usable readings and not just beep at you. As for the acrolein, it goes past that point and leaves essentially charred carbon. Acrolein smells bad and you can enjoy when dry burning a gunked coil. To clean SS wicks and coils I pull them out and take the lighter to the coil portion a few times till it glows for awhile, turns to whitish ash and falls off easily, and this burning process gets into acrolein territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread