Status
Not open for further replies.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Just something I've been working on...kind of a rough "beta release"...the goal with this mod was to hand make as much as possible.

tank holds 20ml, made from 1" O.D. square poly tube, ends are cast "in-tube" from poly resin. batt conns. are off Duracell 9V batts. tank leads are 18 awg half hard Argentium silver. The business end of the atty has been copied down to the mm off the Line. All contacts (except batt spring and switch leads) have been sealed in poly resin. Box is my usual Hammond.
2012-07-20 16.14.32.jpg 2012-07-20 16.14.46.jpg 2012-07-20 16.14.55.jpg 2012-07-20 16.26.09.jpg 2012-07-20 16.12.20.jpg

Again, it's pretty rough, V2 will have a better tank end casting process and the vape chamber will drilled down through the box into the atty so to avoid the silly lean you see here :facepalm:.

As far as function goes...if you have a Line, imagine one, in a protected enclosure, with a 20ml tank cap. run off an 18650 batt that you can drop or throw on the dash of your truck without worry...

anyway, just putting it out there...

johnlacie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
-
Great work! I really like how the tank easily "plugs-in" as a single component!

We have a similar idea but my prototypes are not as publishable as yours. My idea was to make the wires not go through the liquid, run them outside of the tank and make the connection to the heating coil at the top of the tank. I've been working on this idea in which the tank is just a e-liquid bottle that you can simply screw on.

I think your idea has the advantage of having several interchangeable tanks with each having the wick, coil and e-liquid fine tuned to each other. Great work indeed!

Last edited:

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Great work! I really like how the tank easily "plugs-in" as a single component!

We have a similar idea but my prototypes are not as publishable as yours. My idea was to make the wires not go through the liquid, run them outside of the tank and make the connection to the heating coil at the top of the tank. I've been working on this idea in which the tank is just a e-liquid bottle that you can simply screw on.

I think your idea has the advantage of having several interchangeable tanks with each having the wick, coil and e-liquid find tuned to each other. Great work indeed!

I bouncd around the idea of a "vape head" for a while too...something that would be connected electricly right at the head without wires going through the juice, but I never thought of your screw on bottle idea...hmmm

As far as many interchangeable tanks for all your juices and coil set-ups...that's the plan, the square tubing comes in 6' lengths, the 2 part poly resin comes by the pint...once set up (and omitting curing time) I could make dozens of these tanks with little effort and cost and time.

Last edited:

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Wow Quigs, that rocks! Where'd you get your square poly? I was looking at tap plastics and noted they had square tubing but thought nah, what for, but that works nice! They had round colored too, but the sizes are odd. Square fits the hammond box nicely.

Got it at the square tubing store down the road :laugh:...really, there's an industrial park just down the road and one of the stores is this place called Industrial Paint and Plastics...it's like a candy store for me, they had the tubing and poly resin in stock...

I've never been shy about my dis-like for tube mods...finally I just thought, why am I always designing these cylindrical atty's on Sketchup that will ultimately be installed in a "square" box?, seems like a pretty big waste of real estate...my almost signature fav Hammond box finishes a 1" thick, so does this tubing...plus not being able to rotate or screw the atty in cemented my closet desire to finally break from 510 connectors (I hate them)...I've got 3 mods now that use salvaged 9V batt connectors...they just work (and on heavy devices like my Ody and SGV3) and no one removes/installs their devices more than I do :laugh:

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
A whopper of a cheap line. Now to make it VV, you kind of liking the "lines"..lol

I think the Lines are about perfect...other than the fact that I'm filling it 3x a day (sorted that out on this mod :D)...

As far as VV's go...it's funny, when I started this e-cig modding thing I couldn't make them complicated enough, now it seems I'm focusing on making them just the opposite...things that make you go hmmm :confused:

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
I really like the square tank. My problem is my DIY juice from Dominican cigars leaches mucho gunk into the juice and by the time it would be half used it would be thick and the color of crude oil. Seems to be less with cotton though as I don't vape the cotton wicks so hot, My lines with SS get untouchably hot when I vape them.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
I get where you're going with the threaded rod...the "Van - Line" method of wire wrapping isn't optimal, though improved by "dressing or texturing" the posts with toothed needle nose pliers helps...

Thing is TC, as much as an SS device body is used as a current path, SS isn't really the best of conductors...but then again, simply wrapping Kanthal around a silver post isn't the best of connection methods either...you know what?, it's probably a push :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread