quitting analogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecm170

May 24, 2010
Houston
Switching to vaping was for me a way to get off analogs (again!)
I quit analogs over a year ago, went through a messy break up and stupidly started them up again this spring.
I read so much about people quitting analogs the same day their PV came in the mail. Not so much for me!
But I'm noticing that I'm slowly not wanting an analog. I'm down to just a few a day and I really am not enjoying them.
Did anyone else experience it like this? I felt bad at first that i still wanted to smoke even after my e-cig came. I'm feeling better about it now.

Dubs58

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2010
Texas
I smoked 3 analogs even after my ecig arrived, waiting on charging etc..and even though I havent had one since then (they are sitting here on my desk now) doesnt mean I wont grab one & fire it up ! Im just having too much fun with this ecig to light up a real one !

I think im going to get rid of them, the ashtrays, lighters, etc so they arent an option. Maybe you werent ready last time as im not sure my wife is ready despite her .....in about how her pallmalls went up $10 more last week !

Keep the faith and dont worry about setbacks, .... Happens !

Hey also noticed that your in Houston, seems alot of Texans are members..COOL !

Max0819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2010
Seattle
ecm,

You are not alone. Many of us have only 'reduced' our analoges.

I found that the 'something missing' was driving me crazy after my first 4days with no cigs, and also, sometimes during a particular stressful moment of hard think, the vape just wasn't letting me get me head straight. one cig, and the answer came to me. :p

The good news is, I am down to no more than 5 cigs a day. and sometimes I forget that even.

I figure one day I'll simply realize that I haven't smoked in a while and vaping is doing it for me.

For me it wasn't a cost issue so much as my additive free cigs were only costing me 20 bucks a carton, shipped. And with the PACT halting shipping I added to my stash and have a hundred cartons vacuum sealed and deep frozen.

As a note, then I got worried about nic juice being difficult for a while, so I have 500ml 100mg/ml sealed up in the same freszzer. :blink:

Back to topic, don't worry about it. If you need a cig have one. If your morning coffee requires it, have a cig. If you just came out of a 3 hour staff meeting and the vap doesn't quite seem to be doing it. Have a few drags of the analog. Eventually I'm sure they wil go away.

Good luck,

Max

0smitty

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2010
Ft. Wayne, IN
Switching to vaping was for me a way to get off analogs (again!)
I quit analogs over a year ago, went through a messy break up and stupidly started them up again this spring.
I read so much about people quitting analogs the same day their PV came in the mail. Not so much for me!
But I'm noticing that I'm slowly not wanting an analog. I'm down to just a few a day and I really am not enjoying them.
Did anyone else experience it like this? I felt bad at first that i still wanted to smoke even after my e-cig came. I'm feeling better about it now.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, still wanting to smoke an analog or so even though you have your nifty new toy. Myself and my girlfriend got into e-cigs together, and while I was absolutely done with analogs from my first vape, she still went back-and-forth between the two.

The thing you gotta remember is that e-cigs are missing the 4,000-something extra chemicals that analogs have, so while you're still getting the main addictive chemical (nicotine), your body's still getting used to the idea of the others not being present. From what I've read around the forums here, it seems that there are quite a lot of people that still use tobacco, and see the PV as a way of reducing tobacco use rather than quitting entirely.

Well, OK, I wasn't "completely" done with tobacco when I got my first e-cig: I tried smoking a few analogs after I got mine, and I ended up snuffing them after a few drags and going back to my e-cig. I actually felt kinda dirty about smoking at that point, like "ewwww, I can't believe I just did that"...which is really something after my 10-year-long ex-habit!

Long story short: don't sweat it. If your experience is anything like mine, or numerous others here, you'll eventually find that analogs just don't cut the mustard anymore with time. Oh, one more tip: save your nicest/favorite-est ashtray...clean it out all nice and proper so you'll have a nice place to rest your e-cig!

Welcome to the world of vaping, and the ECF!! :D

jilless

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
Presque Isle, Maine
I have been a 3 pack a day smoker since I was 9 years old (in my forties now) and started vaping a couple of weeks ago. I immediately reduced to under a pack a day without any difficulty. I am trying to not deny myself an analog when I want it, but I am also trying to use the ecig first, and many times, that stops me from lighting up the analong. I am currently using a regular 510 but have ordered the Ego and am hopeful that it will help me to reduce my analog usage further. I won't say the "quit" word to myself just yet but I do feel that this is the most viable option for me to severely reduce the amount of tobacco I use. When you are a chain smoker like myself, that's really a huge improvement!

Little Girl

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
New York
mostlylinux.wordpress.com
I think the fact that you're slowly not wanting the analogs is a good sign. I, too, am still using analogs, but I just started officially yesterday since the cartridges that came with my 510 were nasty and I ran into some complex supply issues.

Yesterday I got VG from the local drug store and have been vaping that as is (hardcore! :headbang:). It's not half bad, but since there's no nicotine in it, I figured I should keep some nicotine in me so I don't crash horribly. Already on my first day I went from a pack a day to 8 analogs. That's a reduction of more than half in one day! If that's what these things can do in one day, I can only imagine what they can do in a week. I have no doubt I won't even need/use/want analogs before the week is out.

Let's do this together! :toast:

I wish you luck, and think you`ll get there. I have been a 2 pack a day smoker for 27 years. My wife and I received our ecigs last Tues., while still having the best part of a carton of smokes left. The 1st day I smoked 5 and she smoked 1 while vaping, and neither of us have had one since.

To me it was imperative that my mind set be "I`m going to make this work at all costs". Now, I also believed it would be a process that would take more time. Everyone is different I see after reading this board. Heck one guy last week said he smoked 5-6 packs a day, and hadn`t had one in 48 hours, while some people that only are 1/2 pack a day smokers just can`t give up that one or 2 a day. In the end over time it appears nearly everyone quits completely though.

ecm170

May 24, 2010
Houston
You guys give such great advice. I love it here! :)
For some reason the morning is the hardest. Right now my favorite juice is pralines and creme, it's so good. But for some reason first thing in the morning I am so not in the mood for it, so I end up having an analog. I guess I should experiment with some different flavors and find a good morning one.
And yes, I am from Texas...I see a lot of other Texans on here too. Part of what is helping me choose the e-cig over the analog is the fact that it's nearly 100 degrees out and extremely humid everyday! lol

cliff5550

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
West Central Illinois - USA
I guess after 45 years of smoking, I was ready to stop. Dropped a 2-3 pack a day habit the very first day I started vaping. I was truly one of the lucky ones. We both quit cigarettes the first day.
But, even if I had held onto cigarettes, for a few days or weeks, and a few a day, I know I would have eventually kicked'em to the curb. We will hit our one-year "quit anniversary" in less than a month. We hope all you new vapers hit that day!

Shaka

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Wow! 45 years and quit on day one?! Strong!! I'm 45 years this month, but I took it a day at a time and now down by half. Just made my first promise to my daughter to quit by the end of summer...and you know what? I have ZERO doubt that I will keep that promise w/ vaping and ecf.

To ecm, just relax and enjoy the experience without guilt and without placing undue pressure on yourself w/ the "Q" word. As almost everyone here have said, it WILL happen. It's going to be automatic, painless, and almost effortless to cut down. So just relax and enjoy the ride along the way, and just know that it will happen.

As 0smitty said, "don't sweat it."

I'm down from like a pack and a half a day to a pack about every 2-3 days. Getting there, but not there yet.

Picked up some Snuff to try and take the edge off when the vaping isn't cutting it and don't want to light up a smoke. That's not quite hitting the spot though either. I've pretty much lost the taste for cigs, but there's something they give that I just can't get past yet. :(

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I'm down from like a pack and a half a day to a pack about every 2-3 days. Getting there, but not there yet.

Picked up some Snuff to try and take the edge off when the vaping isn't cutting it and don't want to light up a smoke. That's not quite hitting the spot though either. I've pretty much lost the taste for cigs, but there's something they give that I just can't get past yet. :(

I had a few moments like that but since I didn't have any cigs in the house, I just vaped nonstop on low nic until it passed. I even had a period of time when I could not concentrate or remember anything. It was scary cause I have done my same job for over 10 years and I would forget all kinds of things. It did pass eventually, thank goodness.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread