Quitting everything.. and it sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil1rox

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
8-o

My New Years resolution... was to quit smoking/vaping.. period.

I have to break the habit entirely to quit. How crap it's been hard...and I'm only a few days in!! I'm using a bit of snus here and there or a nicotine patch to keep me sane..but really trying to completely break the smoking/action habit.

Why am I posting..? Because I want to hit my 510 badly!!! lol.

Good luck and Happy New Year to all!

I just have one question: Why would you torture yourself like that? The real beauty of vaping is that it makes it so you don't really need to quit. If you want to torture yourself, that is your right but it seems a bit pointless to me. As mentioned above, get yourself down to 0-nic juice and then taking the final step won't hurt so bad. But again I ask: WHY?

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
8-o

My New Years resolution... was to quit smoking/vaping.. period.

I have to break the habit entirely to quit. How crap it's been hard...and I'm only a few days in!! I'm using a bit of snus here and there or a nicotine patch to keep me sane..but really trying to completely break the smoking/action habit.

Why am I posting..? Because I want to hit my 510 badly!!! lol.

Good luck and Happy New Year to all!

That's a drastic move my friend. I wish you well, the snus should help a lot. It really works for me, but I am still vaping along with it. I hope you succeed!

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Using snus isn't quitting everything.

You are right. Just the smoking is the important thing to quit, but if he wants to get free from the habit of putting something in his mouth to puff on more power to him. It's the smoking that's the important thing to quit. Snus is just a tool that will help.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
I just have one question: Why would you torture yourself like that? The real beauty of vaping is that it makes it so you don't really need to quit. If you want to torture yourself, that is your right but it seems a bit pointless to me. As mentioned above, get yourself down to 0-nic juice and then taking the final step won't hurt so bad. But again I ask: WHY?

I know many may not agree, but vaping is not some magical 100% safe thing. Is it a thousand times safer than smoking? Yes (IMO). But is it safer than inhaling pure clean air? No way(IMO).
Plus, vaping has just not been around long enough to be so sure that it's safe. Your average smoker doesn't start getting the bad stuff (like cancer, emphisema, etc.) until 20-30 years of smoking. There's no way to know if 20 years of filling your lungs with glycol or glycerine, or even flavorings is going to eventualy be why you die.

Plus there's still the 'ball-and-chain' factor of being addicted to something.
I say if you can get completely 'clean', more power to ya.

Just my .02

All that being said, am I going to keep vaping (even if it's banned)?.. damn strait;)

Raven1

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
Akron, OH USA

Maybe the guy can't afford smoking OR vaping anymore. That's all I can figure. If not, I fully agree with your reasoning here, Thulium.

I know many may not agree, but vaping is not some magical 100% safe thing. Is it a thousand times safer than smoking? Yes (IMO). But is it safer than inhaling pure clean air? No way(IMO).
Plus, vaping has just not been around long enough to be so sure that it's safe. Your average smoker doesn't start getting the bad stuff (like cancer, emphisema, etc.) until 20-30 years of smoking. There's no way to know if 20 years of filling your lungs with glycol or glycerine, or even flavorings is going to eventualy be why you die.

I didn't say it was 100% safe, I said (or implied, rather) that clean nicotine delivery systems like personal vaporizers, FDA approved NRT's, and reduced harm tobacco like snus and dissolvables should relieve a nicotine user from the pressing "need" to quit.

The pharmaceutical grade nicotine used in most of these products reduces the exposure to nitrosamines from the range of 6,000-12,000+ nanograms per milligram of nicotine to less than 1...and eliminates completely the exposure to the 4000+ additional tars and toxins known to cause lung disease.

That means that there are more carcinogens in a single cigarette than in 1000ml of most e-liquids. If I use my PV for the rest of my life, I'll still be exposed to fewer harmful substances than if I had continued smoking analogs just one more day before quitting cold turkey.

Plus there's still the 'ball-and-chain' factor of being addicted to something.
I say if you can get completely 'clean', more power to ya.
This part I understand, and it is why my initial question "Why?" was not rhetorical. If you believe you are enslaved by an addiction to nicotine, I wholeheartedly agree that your attempt to break the bond should be actively encouraged.

However, there is another point of view: Dependence is not necessarily "addiction". The medical definition of Addiction is "Habitual psychological and physiological dependence on a substance or practice beyond one's voluntary control" The scientific definition is "A physical or psychological need for a habit-forming substance, such as a drug or alcohol. In physical addiction, the body adapts to the substance being used and gradually requires increased amounts to reproduce the effects originally produced by smaller doses. See more at withdrawal." (From American Heritage Medical Dictionary & American Heritage Science Dictionary, respectively)

The aspects of being "beyond one's voluntary control" of psychological addiction and absent the increased tolerance characteristic of physical addiction mean that it is possible to be a habitual nicotine user without necessarily being an addict. Many people, for example, use caffeine habitually and may or may not develop a true "addiction", and even if you want to classify it as an addiction, many people have addictions with no serious adverse effects.

I completely understand the desire to break away from something you feel reduces your freedom. I happen to feel that vaping has increased my freedom.

My Freedoms as a Vaper:

• I am free to enjoy all the things I liked about the activity of smoking, AND I am free from all the things I disliked about it.
  • I am free to smoke an analog if I really want to, AND I am free from any desire to do so.
  • I am free to continue enjoying the benefits nicotine provides me, AND I am free to reduce or stop my nicotine use if I believe the risk outweighs the benefits.
  • I am free to stand outside with my friends who smoke and not feel out of place, AND I am free to go inside when its too cold without fear and guilt of exposing my family to carbon monoxide and other toxins.

Just my .02

All that being said, am I going to keep vaping (even if it's banned)?.. damn strait;)

Me too. I'll keep vaping (though likely not as much) even if and when I decide to stop using nicotine.

Last edited:

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH

• I am free to smoke an analog if I really want to, AND I am free from any desire to do so

This is probably my favorite thing about vaping. With any other method I have ever tried, it was like instant failure if I broke down and had a cig.
For one thing it was like breaking a streak and having to start all over with a new, "haven't smoked since xxx" date.
But more than that it was the instant feeling of "aahhhhh! that's the stuff!" and I remembered what I was missing.
With vaping (for me anyway), I can have a cig occationally, and not only do I get no "ahhh" feeling whatsoever, but it also tastes like crap and just re-strengthens my dislike for smoking.
The first couple months I would try smoking about once a week, then once every couple weeks. Now I have one about once a month (don't even know why anymore) and instead of saying "oh yeah, now I remember how nice that is"...now I say "Oh yeah, now I remember how nasty that is"

So I don't know if I will ever get off nicotine, but one thing I am sure of is that as long as I vape, I'm not going to "need" to smoke or fall back into the "trap" if I do smoke.

Last edited:

Garrell6888

ECF Veteran

• I am free to smoke an analog if I really want to, AND I am free from any desire to do so

Unfortunately, this is SO not the case for me. I was off analogs for about a month and I started "smoking when I drink". 5 days and I was a full flegged smoker.

Anyway, I'm a little in the same boat as you. I'm trying to quit 3 drugs/habits at once.

1. I really REALLY want to not smoke cigs, and i've been averaging about 3 a day.
  2. I need to quit using marijuana, so I can get a job with my brand new shiny Phlebotomy certification (Got it in the mail today - go me)
  3. I need to quit drinking, because when I do I cant help but buy a pack of camels.
My PV is now my only friend...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread