Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilFishPhil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2011
Montreal, QC
What started off as a simple request to add a "Quitting Vaping" section turned into a very animated discussion with some folk debating whether or not such a section deserved its own section here on ECF. As I and many other members pointed out; quitting vaping is a huge part of the vaping experience and just as with quitting any type of addictive habit having the support and encouragement of others will make the process 100x easier.

My Story:
Quitting vaping for me was not a long drawn out process, it all happened in under a week. I was mixing up a batch of e-liquid and decided to make a small batch of 12mg juice (I was used to vaping 24mg), the following day I made another batch at 6mg and then 2mg until I finally woke up one morning and decided to try not vaping altogether, that was on December 10th 2011.

The first few days were surprisingly easy, aside from a few moments during the day when vaping used to be an automatism (i.e. driving to work in the morning, going out with my smoking colleagues at 11am, etc.) I did not even think about vaping.

After about a week I was still doing great, I didn't have any urges, but I did start experiencing some nicotine withdrawal symptoms:

1. Lack of energy and tiredness - nicotine speeds up the metabolism, so when the nicotine finally leaves your body you're feeling constantly tired. In my case it was pretty intense, I was dead tired by 10 (I was used to going to sleep at 1) and I would wake up at 8am still feeling tired. Thankfully this symptom lasted a week and a few days but I am now back to normal.

2. Increased appetite - Well if any of you have tried quitting smoking before you'll be familiar with this symptom. I wasn't expecting this particular symptom as I'd always attributed the appetite suppressant to the thousands of chemicals in cigarettes, alas it turns out nicotine is the culprit. I'm happy to report that this is something else that's beginning to settle after 3 weeks of non-vaping, I've now managed to skip the sweets between meals, but I'm still eating much bigger portions during meals. My best advice to avoid binge eating and packing on the pounds is to chew on celery branches :) Celery is a negative calorie food, you burn more calories by eating celery than you take in. Also having something in your hand that you're chewing distracts you long enough to supress any kind of craving you may get.

3. Constipation & Flatulence - This was probably the most awkward symptom. It turns out that nicotine also acts as a intestinal stimulant and nicotine withdrawal slows down the whole process. The worst of it only lasted a few days and I remedied the constipation by eating bran, and a lot of it! :)

4. ECF Withdrawal - This might not apply to everyone but for me it was intense! For the first couple of days I did my best to stay away from ECF to avoid any kind of temptation but when it's been a part of your daily routine for nearly 6 months it's a hard habit to break.

5. Hobby - This again will likely not apply to everyone, but for me the hobby aspect of vaping was very hard to give up especially since I'd gotten into DIY'ing my own juices, I'd also picked up modding and tinkering with my own e-cigs. Once I gave up everything I didn't know what to do when I got home from work. Granted my wife will tell you that it was the best thing that could have happened because I started cleaning the house more frequently, and my dog was also happy because now we were going out for 5-6 walks per day :)

A lot of people will ask "Why would you want to quit vaping??"

I'm going to copy and paste a post I made in the other thread:

1. Money. I can't speak for everyone, but I know it was one of the factors that made me want to quit seeing as I was spending on average $200/month on supplies.

2. The addiction. After so many years of being dependent on cigs, and now being dependent on vaping, it's a nice change being able to leave the house without freaking out if I forgot my PV at home.

3. Health uncertainties. Seeing as vaping is still in its infancy nobody knows what, if any, the long term effects of vaping are. Also with no governing body, no industry standards, you never know what you might actually be vaping, I mean just look @ the BE fiasco. E-juice aside, think about the different materials: metals; steel/brass/lead or the different materials used for meshes; silica/fiberglass/kanthal, or the rubber used in o-rings etc. Are there any adverse effects of inhaling e-juice that came into contact with those kinds of materials? Most likely, although I can't say that with any kind of certainty all I do know is that nobody can say that vaping is 100% safe.

4. Health Benefits. Just as I saw immediate improvements in my health after I quit smoking and started vaping, I noticed immediate improvements in my health after I quit vaping. I sleep a lot better, I can breath easier, I have more energy (although the first few days I was constantly tired and lethargic), and most importantly, my blood pressure has dropped.

I certainly hope that my story will inspire anyone that's been thinking about quitting vaping. Just as quitting smoking to start vaping was a scary experience, quitting vaping is as well but believe me you're not anywhere near as addicted as you might think.

The best piece of advice I can give anyone that wants to quit is: TRY IT! Wake up one morning and tell yourself that today you will not be vaping at all. As the hours go by and you still haven't vaped you'll get a sense of pride and accomplishment that you will feel guilty about breaking if you cave :)

Last edited:

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey Phil, Very nice and honest post. I started vaping to stop smoking. And I have - 11 days thus far. To be honest, I didn't switch to vaping sooner, because I was afraid of swapping one addiction for another. So, I am very encouraged by your post, and it is my goal to become vape free as well. That's why I found your post. I am curious to see how lowering from my 24mg nic level will work, and when? Thanks for the example. I am very happy I have been introduced to vaping, and will be an advocate of it whether I am vaping or have stopped. It is an incredible option for smokers to get off the cigs.

ImJustAvg

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Right now I am just happy that vaping has worked for me - after smoking for 40+ years and trying everything to quit. I was smoking 3 packs a day and when I switched to vaping started at 36 mg of nicotine, in the last year, I have been going down, first to 24 mg then 18 mg and trying to go lower, but want to take it slow so I don't give up like before. Looking into going DIY now so that I can add vg to the mixes I already have and add more flavor too.

Gloria

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2011
midwest
I'm with you DVPhil.

For me, the main reasons to quit are the money, addiction & time required to fiddle with vaping (ordering, cleaning gear, filling gear, etc). Not to mention the obsession of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

But I am oh so thankful for what this gear has done for me in getting off of the stinkies!! And I'm especially thankful for the kind and generous folks here at ECF.

popeye79

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2011
WA, USA
I want to quit eventually, just not now. I work in a high stress job, and I'm only the quarter of the way through a year long training program. Maybe one day though.

The main reason I want to quit, is that I vape WAY more than I ever used to smoke. I just can't stop myself. :(

When I do eventually try, do you really think lowering the nic content actually helps? I mean, all the chemicals in cigs are there to help the body absorb nicotine. with vaping, you're only absorbing about 10% of the nicotine anyway.

So do you you think lowering actually helps? Or maybe it's all in the mind, and cold turkey quiting vapping would work just as easily? I only ask, because I tried going from 18mg to 11mg and hated the fact that there was little to no throat hit, and went right back to 18mg.

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
I have been smoke free over 10 weeks now,,still using my PV daily,,,i am thinking\hoping i can evenually give it up too,,

you are definitely right about one thing,,it is surprisingly easy to leave the house without it,and not have to turn around to go get it like we

have all done,,such sweet freedom i have never known till i got off the ol stinkies

terrilg70

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
NC
Great thread. I too hope to stop vaping. I am not quite at the 2 month mark of vaping and am very happy I am not using analogs. I started with 26mg then 18mg, now have 3/4 bottle of 12mg and have my 6-8mg in the cabinet waiting. After that I am going to have to break my hand to mouth addiction. I really think this is a huge part for me. But, I never thought I would be at this point in just 2 month. I know alot of people consider themselves non-smokers while vaping, but I still feel like I am even though it is not an analong. I too wonder what I am actually vaping. But, non the less I am proud of me.

pdags

Dec 29, 2011
Florida
1st time I quit smoking I did it cold turkey (lasted 1.5 years).
2nd time I quit smoking, I did it by swapping to vaping then quitting vaping (lasted about 1 year)...

I'm not sure if the experience from quitting the first made it easier, but quitting from vaping was significantly easier. This was when vaping was first taking off and there weren't a lot of options. After constantly refilling cartomizers and recharging batteries I just got sick of doing it. I quit vaping 2 days before a week long vacation and left all my PV crap behind.

I'm in the middle of my 3rd smoking foray. After two months of analogs I swapped to back to vaping. This time I'm planning on slowly reducing my eliquid nicotine down to 0mg... then quitting (or making it more of a social thing). Currently vaping 18mg eliquid. Next batch, arriving this week will be 12mg... etc., etc.

High stress periods in my life make me want to smoke. Assuming I successfully quit this time I'll keep a stash of 0 nicotine eliquid around and, when stress appears, I'll use that instead of starting up on analogs. That's my hope.

That's my story...

Can't see myself quitting at the moment. I work in some smoke filled bars at night and vaping is what gets me through it. After quitting analogs the first time, psychologically I had an issue with wanting to smoke and seeing people around me doing so without issue - vaping took its place and immediately I felt better. Unfortunately I went back to the ol' stink-sticks on St Pat's when I just happened to lose my one and only working pv and it took me a few months to drop the habit again. So it's back on the juice for me! I do notice though that I can be without my pv for much more extended periods of time, far more than I could from cigs. I also happen to be one of those people who love the action but wanted a less damaging approach to doing it. Good on ya though for severing your chains!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread