Status
Not open for further replies.

SkvLTD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
MD
skvoraltdphoto.com
Now to wait and see if it would attempt to leak or misbehave after a couple fills. Build was surprisingly easy and mesh filled the juice slots perfectly.

1780197_10152079029893042_1965697837_o.jpg

Pics added down the line V V V

Last edited:

SkvLTD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
MD
skvoraltdphoto.com
What are we looking at in the third picture?

More info would be awesome. Is it hollow? Any shorting? How's it wicking? How's the flavor? Is your wick touching the deck just above the channels?

As you can see, I'm definitely interested, I think I'm going to go try this...

3rd is just showing that it is a Russian/Kayfun. Hollow? Wick is rolled like a tube, so to a degree its hollow.

Wicks just fine, yet to see a dry hit on this. Flavor is as pure as mesh can give ya, no metallic taste either.

And the wick is mushed into the channels as best possible, so juice falls into the outer groves and bumps into the wick.

The only mildly annoyance is that per juice change, a longer mesh wick takes a little bit longer to cycle through the old juice.

steel bender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA
Well I gave it a shot. Pulled out my cotton and fed a mesh wick through the coil, the ohms were jumping around on me for a while, from .6 to 1.3, but I got it steadied out after a while. Probably the best flavor I've gotten from my kayfun (clone), but I was too paranoid about having this metal wick touching the chimney sides and bottom. I didn't want to trust using it on a mech (I'm not totally sure just how accurate my multimeter is sometimes and I only have 10 amp batteries, so I took it out. I might just try using a small piece of mesh under the coil wrapped around either a silica or cotton "feeder" wick.

SkvLTD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
MD
skvoraltdphoto.com
Well I gave it a shot. Pulled out my cotton and fed a mesh wick through the coil, the ohms were jumping around on me for a while, from .6 to 1.3, but I got it steadied out after a while. Probably the best flavor I've gotten from my kayfun (clone), but I was too paranoid about having this metal wick touching the chimney sides and bottom. I didn't want to trust using it on a mech (I'm not totally sure just how accurate my multimeter is sometimes and I only have 10 amp batteries, so I took it out. I might just try using a small piece of mesh under the coil wrapped around either a silica or cotton "feeder" wick.

What you want to do is use make sure your coil fits perfectly over the mesh. I'd recommend using a drill bit closest to you mesh roll's size to wrap a coil around and situate everything nicely. Then if you have some like VV/VW battery, set it to the lowest possible and do dry test pulses to see if your setup is hot spotting or not. That's what causes it to jump in ohms.

So, burn until they glow and if you get a hot spot, use a knife/pin/whatever to move that ring of the coil over a little and keep repeating until it consistently and fully glows without any hot spots. Mesh is PITA because you have to set it up this way, but once you set it, you can completely forget it save maybe weekly or biweekly dry burns to get juice gunk off the coil.

From what I've noticed, once your wick is wet, ohms will drop .1-.2 from the optimal try level, but that's about it.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
That has to be one sick build I can't imagine how to get ss to sit right in the russian I can't wait to see pics so I can give it a shot myself

I got mesh in my KFL. Cut it diagonally so it's easy to bend without getting kinks. I rolled the mesh around a 26awg kanthal wire to give it some rigidity.

SkvLTD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
MD
skvoraltdphoto.com
I got mesh in my KFL. Cut it diagonally so it's easy to bend without getting kinks. I rolled the mesh around a 26awg kanthal wire to give it some rigidity.

If you even stove burn it, it becomes plenty rigid and even if the mesh gets some kinks,. It has no problems wicking since its the surface that wicks, so as long as you have enough of it rolled up and it's at least 400 grade, it'll do just fine.

How do YOU like this kinda setup?

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
I think it's better than my KFL ever has been. I'm no fan of silica or cotton in the first place, tho. At least, I've never tasted such pristine flavors from a KFL before.

I do believe I used 500 mesh and only gave it a couple of juice burns like I do for my gennies. I'm very surprised it worked so well, shows no sign of wick drying out... and wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. Took a while to pulse out hotspots since I didn't want to risk melting the insulators.

SkvLTD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
MD
skvoraltdphoto.com
I think it's better than my KFL ever has been. I'm no fan of silica or cotton in the first place, tho. At least, I've never tasted such pristine flavors from a KFL before.

I do believe I used 500 mesh and only gave it a couple of juice burns like I do for my gennies. I'm very surprised it worked so well, shows no sign of wick drying out... and wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. Took a while to pulse out hotspots since I didn't want to risk melting the insulators.

That's because its a 500 and enough surface area in there vs any geometry as I mentioned before. IF you do a little homework, there was an old, long thread somewhere here where a guy did a PROPER comparison of 320, 400, and 500 using little jars, oil and fire. 320 barely burned, 400 was 3x better and burning the oil fine, and 500 was apparently a monster.

Not sure how say, 500 would fare with pure PG, though if you stuff the channels to the brim I'm sure it will contain the juice properly. 400 is perfect, but feels just a hint more laggy with 60/40 VG/PG (or mine juice is 80/20, which doesn't help the case).

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
Heck yeah! Guess whose doing this build tonight!!! Super excited. I can't really recall seeing any other threads where someone did a pure mesh build on a kayfun style atty. I did the mesh sleeve with the cotton feeders, but it was a tiny length of mesh. Maybe 1/8" wider than the microcoil I built. Worked great, but I always yearn for the pure flavor of my RSST which is a crazy 500 mesh build 2.4 ohms and I built that one such that I can vape it at 5.3-5.8 volts. Whoah!

Totally doing this tonight. I feel like my prior cotton builds plagued me with dry hits and flooding, something that my trusty steel mesh won't do to me =].

Anybody tried an SS rope build on a kayfun style atty?

SkvLTD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
MD
skvoraltdphoto.com
I've actually since tweaked it a bit- torched the mesh, rolled it up, twisted it to allow it to hold a U shape without kinks, then juice tempered. Rolled a coil around appropriate size drill bit, inserted the "rock hard" U mesh roll, and adjusted enough to get rid of hot spots.

Had juice crust a layer of gunk, dry-burned and blew it all away, and it's working at full ohms once again. Taste is nuts, but less forgiving on VG juice.

Think I'll order some 500 grade and try that out. 400 was my safety for Fogger running 100% PG, but for my R91 I think anything and everything would work, so the better the flow, the better the vape.

Also, written a blog post about it and it's now linked in my sig, as is this thread.

Last edited:

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Heck yeah! Guess whose doing this build tonight!!! Super excited. I can't really recall seeing any other threads where someone did a pure mesh build on a kayfun style atty. I did the mesh sleeve with the cotton feeders, but it was a tiny length of mesh. Maybe 1/8" wider than the microcoil I built. Worked great, but I always yearn for the pure flavor of my RSST which is a crazy 500 mesh build 2.4 ohms and I built that one such that I can vape it at 5.3-5.8 volts. Whoah!

Totally doing this tonight. I feel like my prior cotton builds plagued me with dry hits and flooding, something that my trusty steel mesh won't do to me =].

Anybody tried an SS rope build on a kayfun style atty?

I tried but didn't follow through to completion. SS rope turned out to be too stiff for me to bother working with it in such a confined space. Tried bending it to shape, but it's not easy working with such small lengths without it falling apart. Tried both 3x 1mm rope and 1x 2.5mm rope. Decided to try pure mesh instead, which turned out excellently.

In hindsight I could have wrapped the rope with i.e teflon tape or such to keep it together while bending and shaping it. I just can't be bothered opening up my KFL to test the theory. ;)

As long as a sufficient amount of liquid is transported to the coil, I'm happy and don't think too much about what gets it there. ... as long as it's not cotton. :evil: ;)
The only reason I use rope in a couple of my gennies is so that I can keep all air holes closed and still get amazing wicking ability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread