Rags to riches$$$ Well sorta'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
SO. CAL
Recently I've been bumping into a lot of people (personally and on the forums) who are having issues spending $ on a good start up kit or keeping they're vaping habits steady but say they're broke all the time.

I recently started vaping a couple months ago and had some major spending habits I had to cut down on. I'm not talking necessities like Cost of living, Gas if you drive to work to make your $ etc. Just wanted to share my success story and a simple reminder of how much garbage some of us spend money on daily. Hey we all need a little jump start to get back on track once in a while right??? :) Not trying to be Dr. fix your life or anything. I'm drilling these words into my own head as a reminder too.................................................................

I only started vaping in mid June of this year. Had a $6.00 minimum a day cig habit. So... A minimum of $42 a week.. Add some Booze in the mix and Wow... Weekend beer would run me $20 for two quality 6 packs on Saturday. Add the occasional Sunday in and 2 more 6'ers and we're up to $40 just for some drinks. Oh wait... I'm smoking more since I'm drinking so let's say 2 packs of analogs, sometimes even buying 3 packs a day if your around people who are bumming em' off you. So let's just say $100 bucks.:facepalm: OUCH! Not to mention my fast food habits, buying 3-4 $1 soda's at work everyday. I'm not even going to add it all up cuz the Plain and simple fact of it all is I was spending WAY too much $ on garbage.

I knew I had to sacrifice a few things for a week or two so I could simply get into vaping and take it seriously. Whether it be habits like mine were or how about these I helped a few buddies with that just started to get into vaping like buying Lotto tickets every week, getting that deluxe car wash instead of just DIY, Starbucks cofee anyone? Yes.. that means you! Or buying EVERYTHING name brand at the supermarket, You get my drift... We can all sacrifice a few things to have the extra $ to buy those goodies vape wise or to just stay away from analogs in general by not buying into the (It's a quick $6- $12 compared to a $50 starter kit.) Now that I look at it if you were a pack a day smoker there's really no excuse for not having any cash to put towards vaping in a weeks amount of time. Even if you don't quit and just cut down some you're saving a chunk of cash IMO.

A couple weeks of cutting down on my habits and I got a TON of juices, a nice Riva kit and some cool drip tips that will last me a while. Not trying to say everyone's habit's are like mine were but vaping really isn't that expensive if you break it all down and cut some cost out of your daily routine. Heck I still have a few beers every once in a while and I'm not tapping the bank account. Vaping kinda helped me balance my spending in a weird sorta way. My Dad would be proud if he read this!:laugh:

Do I save money vaping compared to smoking... YEAH, I do. Do people around me challenge how much money I really save since I buy all these new gizmos and gadgets... All the time! Or how about my favorite one. "There's no proof that it's healtier. So you quit cig's to spend money on fake cig's that could be worse for you!?!?!?" Ummmm... I physically feel better, have way more focus and I'm 10x's more alert then i was when I smoked analogs. Not to mention Vaping has helped me tremendously with my panic attacks. I'll save that for another day though...

Anyway hope this helps other noobs like myself or even the people who might be losing they're passion for vaping like they used to do to the bummers of money and just need a little kick in the rear to keep up the good work. Vaping is beyond amazing for me and my family and I'm sure it is for all of you guys too. Just wanted to share my personal success with everyone. Next step... Lot's of diapers and baby wipes for my son on the way. I'll take all the advice you guys can give me on that one!

Last edited:

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Very true!
I spent a year stocking up as much as possible (FDA scare). Then for reasons too many to get into, I was without the internet for over 5 months... which meant zero purchases! But I'm happy to report that I've been able to get by just fine thanks to that stockpile. There's no way I could have stockpiled a years worth of cigarettes... maybe the butts though. ewwwwwww

ec!gg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
www.ecigg.org
Thanks for posting. We appreciate you sharing you thoughts.

Recently I've been bumping into a lot of people (personally and on the forums) who are having issues spending $ on a good start up kit or keeping they're vaping habits steady but say they're broke all the time.

I recently started vaping a couple months ago and had some major spending habits I had to cut down on. I'm not talking necessities like Cost of living, Gas if you drive to work to make your $ etc. Just wanted to share my success story and a simple reminder of how much garbage some of us spend money on daily. Hey we all need a little jump start to get back on track once in a while right??? :) Not trying to be Dr. fix your life or anything. I'm drilling these words into my own head as a reminder too.................................................................

I only started vaping in mid June of this year. Had a $6.00 minimum a day cig habit. So... A minimum of $42 a week.. Add some Booze in the mix and Wow... Weekend beer would run me $20 for two quality 6 packs on Saturday. Add the occasional Sunday in and 2 more 6'ers and we're up to $40 just for some drinks. Oh wait... I'm smoking more since I'm drinking so let's say 2 packs of analogs, sometimes even buying 3 packs a day if your around people who are bumming em' off you. So let's just say $100 bucks.:facepalm: OUCH! Not to mention my fast food habits, buying 3-4 $1 soda's at work everyday. I'm not even going to add it all up cuz the Plain and simple fact of it all is I was spending WAY too much $ on garbage.

I knew I had to sacrifice a few things for a week or two so I could simply get into vaping and take it seriously. Whether it be habits like mine were or how about these I helped a few buddies with that just started to get into vaping like buying Lotto tickets every week, getting that deluxe car wash instead of just DIY, Starbucks cofee anyone? Yes.. that means you! Or buying EVERYTHING name brand at the supermarket, You get my drift... We can all sacrifice a few things to have the extra $ to buy those goodies vape wise or to just stay away from analogs in general by not buying into the (It's a quick $6- $12 compared to a $50 starter kit.) Now that I look at it if you were a pack a day smoker there's really no excuse for not having any cash to put towards vaping in a weeks amount of time. Even if you don't quit and just cut down some you're saving a chunk of cash IMO.

A couple weeks of cutting down on my habits and I got a TON of juices, a nice Riva kit and some cool drip tips that will last me a while. Not trying to say everyone's habit's are like mine were but vaping really isn't that expensive if you break it all down and cut some cost out of your daily routine. Heck I still have a few beers every once in a while and I'm not tapping the bank account. Vaping kinda helped me balance my spending in a weird sorta way. My Dad would be proud if he read this!:laugh:

Do I save money vaping compared to smoking... YEAH, I do. Do people around me challenge how much money I really save since I buy all these new gizmos and gadgets... All the time! Or how about my favorite one. "There's no proof that it's healtier. So you quit cig's to spend money on fake cig's that could be worse for you!?!?!?" Ummmm... I physically feel better, have way more focus and I'm 10x's more alert then i was when I smoked analogs. Not to mention Vaping has helped me tremendously with my panic attacks. I'll save that for another day though...

Anyway hope this helps other noobs like myself or even the people who might be losing they're passion for vaping like they used to do to the bummers of money and just need a little kick in the rear to keep up the good work. Vaping is beyond amazing for me and my family and I'm sure it is for all of you guys too. Just wanted to share my personal success with everyone. Next step... Lot's of diapers and baby wipes for my son on the way. I'll take all the advice you guys can give me on that one!

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Nice story, Coil. I'm glad vaping worked out for you. When I started vaping about 17 months ago, it was right in the middle of the FDA scare. I dint stockpile much, b/c I knew if I could quite cigarettes, I could quit vaping if need be. I started making my own juices right away which saved me a substantial amount - plus it's fun to have control of the flavoring. Hopefully, I'll be able to quit vaping one of these days too, but I'm not pushing myself on that much.

Now you don't have to worry about your soon to be born son breathing in that 2nd hand smoke. The way you've thought it through and the way you've disciplined yourself in your health area makes me feel that you'll be a wonderful father.

Congratulations on your vaping success and in the upcoming birth of your son. Welcome to ECF.

p.s. - You live in SoCal too, so if you ever get in trouble with supplies, there's a store in Laguna Beach (E-Cig City) with very nice prices and anything you could ever want - including mods and vaping juices before you buy privileges.

Loveridden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
Schaumburg, IL
For me it was hard because I had actually quit analogs for about 9 months. I got used to not spending my money on cigs anymore. Then I started to slide again buying cigs for someone in a place where they couldn't buy their own. Having them around and having some extra stressors in my life at the time, I started smoking one or two....

Then I knew I was going to start smoking all over again. And that's when I decided I would try an e-cig, and from what I was reading online....it would cost half what I would spend on cigarettes normally (I smoked about a pack a day before I quit). AND it seemed that it would cost only 25% of what I would spend normally on cigs if I got my own juice and filled my own cartos. All after the starter kit, of course. Boy I was wrong tho. I didn't realize how much touch and go there would be with juices and even with hardware. There had to be some experimentation, plus I thought I would be using less cartos/juice than I actually used. So with the fact that I didn't have nicotine expenses for 9 months, I don't have a lot of $ to start with, and I underestimated prices, despite my research.....it has been tough on me at times..

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I'm still smoking about a 1/2 pack a day. But I was smoking 3+ packs a day until about a month ago, when I bought my first kit. So I'm saving a lot of money on cigs that I'm no longer buying.

I've spent roughly $250 on various vaping related stuff. That includes the original kit, lots of juices, shipping/tax, and various "stuff". A lot of that stuff was things I tried and didn't like, like cartomizers. I've got a box of them for emergency use, but I don't use them. I tried the ego Mega cartridge system, don't like it. I've got extra parts/pieces for the ego T tank system, which is how I vape every day.

I'm kind of stocked up, so that I doubt I actually need to spend any money for the next month or two. I've got extras of most of my stuff. (No backup battery charger, so far.) I've got enough fluid to last two months, probably.

Right now, I think I'm pretty close to "even" on vaping expenses vs saved cig money.

And from here out, I'm saving roughly $250 a month on unpurchased cigs - even while I'm still smoking a 1/2 pack a day, something I expect to drop over time.

With that kind of savings, I'd could buy a high end mod every month and still be at the break even point. So I have no question that it'll be saving me a lot of money over the long run.

Coil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
SO. CAL
Thanks everyone! Yup 2 more months and my son Levi will be here :) Excited to be a father. I'm glad I'm having him now and not 5 years ago. Had time to settle down and have my personal fun in life already. Having a good stable job helps alot too. Can't say that I had that 5 years ago...

As for the spending it is pretty hard to make budgets. I can only imagine not even having to really worry about saving and wanting to stock up during the FDA scare. You guys are troopers who went through that! If anyone has anything to add as far as things to cut down on to save some cash please share your success:toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread