Random DIY mixing and More

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    After a 6 week steep, I've broken out my strawberry cheese strudel mix, and it's pretty good.

Strawberry Cheese Strudel

Deep fried pastry dough (WF) 5%
    Strawberry Cheesecake (LB) 4%
    Yes, we Cheesecake (INW) 2%
    Alpine strawberry (Flavorah) 2%
    Cinnamon Danish Swirl v1 (Cap) 1%
    Vanilla swirl (TPA) 1%

@Zazie please add to blog, with thanks.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    After a 6 week steep, I've broken out my strawberry cheese strudel mix, and it's pretty good.

Strawberry Cheese Strudel

Deep fried pastry dough (WF) 5%
    Strawberry Cheesecake (LB) 4%
    Yes, we Cheesecake (INW) 2%
    Alpine strawberry (Flavorah) 2%
    Cinnamon Danish Swirl v1 (Cap) 1%
    Vanilla swirl (TPA) 1%

@Zazie please add to blog, with thanks.

That seems like a lot for Alpine strawberry. I used to just do like two drops in a 10ml.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    That seems like a lot for Alpine strawberry. I used to just do like two drops in a 10ml.

I had originally written the recipe with VT strawberry jam, but when it came time to mix it up I couldn't find it and just substituted the Alpine strawberry without changing the percentage. It works.

ETA: As I recall, 2% usually works out to be like 5-6 drops in 30mls, so we aren't talking a great amount of difference.

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I had originally written the recipe with VT strawberry jam, but when it came time to mix it up I couldn't find it and just substituted the Alpine strawberry without changing the percentage. It works.

That’s great. I’m glad you like it. I am missing one flavor I believe.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Oh yeah... 2% is many many more than 5-6 drops.

2% = 21 drops ---> using ELR's create a recipe.

Just so everyone knows... FLV Alpine Strawberry is one of Flavorah's most highly concentrated flavorings. 2% is far too high.

Flavorah flavors are ultra concentrates. Meaning, they are normally used at much lower percentages versus most 'other' companies flavorings.

The average use for Alpine Strawberry on ELR is 0.25% ---> 3 drops in 30mls. ELR shows the majority using it at 0.25%.

From my experience... 3 drops Alpine Strawberry in 30mls is fairly strong and certainly full flavor.

I usually go with Smokey Blue's knowledge and expertise on "nearly all" Flavorah concentrates. She never uses more than 0.25% (3 drops / 30ml) Alpine Strawberry.

From her notes: "Easy does it with this one, even 1% is just too much! [...] The most I will ever use is 3 bottle drops (.06 grams) in a 30ml/1 ounce bottle."

Smokey's notes on Alpine Strawberry...
    FLV Alpine Strawberry 1.png

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Oh yeah... 2% is many many more than 5-6 drops.

2% = 21 drops ---> using ELR's create a recipe.

Just so everyone knows... FLV Alpine Strawberry is one of Flavorah's most highly concentrated flavorings. 2% is far too high.

Flavorah flavors are ultra concentrates. Meaning, they are normally used at much lower percentages versus most 'other' companies flavorings.

The average use for Alpine Strawberry on ELR is 0.25% ---> 3 drops in 30mls. ELR shows the majority using it at 0.25%.

From my experience... 3 drops Alpine Strawberry in 30mls is fairly strong and certainly full flavor.

I usually go with Smokey Blue's knowledge and expertise on "nearly all" Flavorah concentrates. She never uses more than 0.25% (3 drops / 30ml) Alpine Strawberry.

From her notes: "Easy does it with this one, even 1% is just too much! [...] The most I will ever use is 3 bottle drops (.06 grams) in a 30ml/1 ounce bottle."

Smokey's notes on Alpine Strawberry...
    View attachment 976025
    When I use the Alpine for 15ml then it gets 1 drop.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Some of my thoughts on flavors, DIY and our sense of taste... :)

I usually cringe when I see high %'s of any flavor being used.

It is very well known that every single flavor, no matter the company, has a point where it can, and will (and does), mute itself out if taken too high.. and as a result will come back all muddled.

That is why many flavor companies list suggested percentages. They know their flavors, some know them much better than others.

However, experience has shown us that not all "company suggested" percentages are valid. In many cases "less is more".

More is more... is never a solution in DIY.

The secret to making good mixes lies in knowing each of our flavors individually. There is no way around that.

Some claim they "need" high percentages of flavors in order to "taste" them. I completely disagree with that sentiment. Why? Our sense of taste regenerates... often. New taste buds don't know anything about flavor until they are trained by the user.

Our sense of taste is very complex. Over the years I've read much on the sense of taste.

Science has proven our taste buds regenerate every 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months and 3 years. At the 3 year mark the entire “live” buds will have completely regenerated. There are some that die off and never ever come back.

Science has also proven we can easily retrain our taste buds. That's made easy with new ones coming online every 3 days.

Cheers! :D

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    I think orange falls under…..don’t like.
    Fran, do you like oranges in real life?

I love oranges. My days always start with a glass of OJ --- before coffee ( ;) ). I like snacking on oranges too. We always have a good selection of fruit for breakfast. A few times a week dinner consists of fruits and couscous. :)

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Fran, do you like oranges in real life?

I love oranges. My days always start with a glass of OJ --- before coffee ( ;) ). I like snacking on oranges too. We always have a good selection of fruit for breakfast. A few times a week dinner consists of fruits and couscous. :)
    I do love oranges to eat or drink in rl.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    I realized awhile ago that I don’t care for the taste of apricot. Therefore I was not happy to see one of my new mixes has apricot. The mix also has enough mango that the two fruits meld together and the apricot isn’t a top taste. So I was still surprised to really like this one.

@Zazie with thanks :) @NolaMel

Island Dreams
    WF Island Mango 3%
    VTA Shisha Mango 1.5%
    TFA Apricot 2.5%
    HA French Vanilla Ice Cream 1.2%
    SSA Vanilla Ice Cream 2%
    Cap Vanilla Custard 2%
    Looks tasty. Just checked, and I don't have VTA Shisha Mango or TFA Apricot. I'll mix it with one of my other apricots and mangoes. Should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread