Random DIY mixing and More

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Morning mixers,

I'm starting to notice a bit of a harshness to some ejuices I mixed 2-3 weeks ago, a nut recipe in particular. Lowering the wattage helps, but could it be the coils need changing or have I over-steeped them? I'm using Rayon with SS316L spaced coil between 38-50W. The coils are dark, but not particularly crusty. The Rayon is as pure as the driven snow.

Why I haven't immediately thought about changing the coils is that I recoiled/rewicked my tank at the same time, and despite hammering it with a heavy commercial juice (gingerbread jam), it is fine. No harshness whatsoever.

Some juices are worse than others, a NY cheesecake I mixed at Christmas is coming into its own now, with no harshness and some lovely notes. The Cannoli which has rested for just over a month is not bad either.

Have I discovered a steeping bell curve, or is my lack of coil-changing discipline to blame?
What %'s are you using for the flavorings that seem harsh. Could be your palate just does not agree with the recipe as written. Yes, heat will make a juice taste harsh but its interesting it is only happening on a few. May be you should try adjusting some of the flavor %s(lower would require less steeping time also) but I would suggest starting first with an adjustment to an over all recipe first so that the relationship between flavors remain the same. In DIY less is more. Not only is less flavoring easier on coils but you may then be able to vape at the wattages you find enjoyable. Each recipe has its own sweet spot so I do agree with others that your problem may be solved by turning down the power.
Also, use as little sweetener as possible and use flavors to add a sweetness. Works loads better imo.

:)

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
@Old Greybeard

As as quick test you could try this....in the tank that has turned harsh but still vapable, try adding 1/4 of the volume of the tank with unflavored(nic,pg/vg) while leaving 3/4 of the tank with the juice that is harsh. Allow to set (maybe overnight to blend) and see if that helps. This is certainly a much quicker way to see if using too much flavoring. So If you have a 4ml tank use 1ml of unflavored(eyeballing is good also tho not accurate,lol)

:)

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Morning mixers,

I'm starting to notice a bit of a harshness to some ejuices I mixed 2-3 weeks ago, a nut recipe in particular. Lowering the wattage helps, but could it be the coils need changing or have I over-steeped them? I'm using Rayon with SS316L spaced coil between 38-50W. The coils are dark, but not particularly crusty. The Rayon is as pure as the driven snow.

Why I haven't immediately thought about changing the coils is that I recoiled/rewicked my tank at the same time, and despite hammering it with a heavy commercial juice (gingerbread jam), it is fine. No harshness whatsoever.

Some juices are worse than others, a NY cheesecake I mixed at Christmas is coming into its own now, with no harshness and some lovely notes. The Cannoli which has rested for just over a month is not bad either.

Have I discovered a steeping bell curve, or is my lack of coil-changing discipline to blame?
This may sound stupid but without knowing whats in the recipe its just a guessing game. If you post whats in it I may have a clue as to what is making it seem harsh

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Well I am home again and plan to make use of my new scale in the morning.

I hope you like it. I’ve done a couple mixes with mine and really like it. I’m using the batteries that came with it. I cleared a spot in my cabinet and can mix right there. It’s nice that the display is lighted.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I hope you like it. I’ve done a couple mixes with mine and really like it. I’m using the batteries that came with it. I cleared a spot in my cabinet and can mix right there. It’s nice that the display is lighted.
    I'm sure I will like it once I get used to it. I've always been so sure I couldn't make changes to what I've been so used to. Lately I've made several changes that have turned out way easier than I've thought.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2016
    Niagara Region, ON CANADA
    I'm sure I will like it once I get used to it. I've always been so sure I couldn't make changes to what I've been so used to. Lately I've made several changes that have turned out way easier than I've thought.

I have mixers block :(:( and I'm getting woefully low on mixed juice.

So, I ordered a bunch of new flavors during the Valentines Day Sale :D

It's getting so that if I find one or two that I like from every 10 I order I consider myself lucky :lol:

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I have mixers block :(:( and I'm getting woefully low on mixed juice.

So, I ordered a bunch of new flavors during the Valentines Day Sale :D

It's getting so that if I find one or two that I like from every 10 I order I consider myself lucky :lol:
    You can not mix some of your favs?

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Oh sure, I can always do that. In fact, that's what I have been doing. I need some new "favorites" to vape like crazy and get bored of though :lol:
    Not sure I can help out any with that at this time but I do have a few mixes I need to try...........

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2016
    Niagara Region, ON CANADA
    Not sure I can help out any with that at this time but I do have a few mixes I need to try...........

That's quite okay! I have high hopes for a couple of the new one's I'm picking up. One of them is Lemongrass by Super Concentrated. I already have a recipe I made up to try it with. Here's hoping!!!

PJReid

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    TY :). Do you find it’s worth it? It’s pretty reasonable $... but without seeing what I might get access to, I don’t know if it’s something I’d find useful.

There is probably not any info there that can't be found somewhere else. It is nice to have a lot of articles available in one place and Wayne has covered a large variety of topics. I found it more useful when I was new to DIY and don't use it often these days. Still, I keep the subscription, just in case there is something I want to read up on. I realize that isn't a terribly helpful answer. o_O My favorite and most used section are the write-ups from the flavor notes chats. They discuss one flavor and cover all of the brands. There are usually 4 reviewers, some more familiar with one brand than another. That is helpful, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread