Random DIY mixing and More

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I just flew here with 6 30ml bottles in my carryon. 30ml is around an ounce. Not a peep from TSA
    Plastic? Don't know anything about flying with vape gear so any info you have would be great.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Do you find the plastic bottles retain odour or even flavour? I have been recycling old glass 30ml drippers and have casually been looking for a surplus of these locally….on the cheap.
    I only use plastic for sft's usually. Anything else mixed in plastic would be used within a couple weeks. I most often use 15ml glass dropper bottles for my mixes.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    Don’t think what I read mentioned anything with power settings or burnt. Might have been a commercial juice review that mentioned it. IDK….I forget my name on a good day which is why I resorted to writing it on my unddies. The other week I signed a cheque at the bank as Joe Boxer
    They do retain the scent of the previous flavor. A touch of bleach & rinse really well after usually removes the scent.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'm guessing it depends on the type of bottle and how long the juice has been in it. I've had my sft's retain flavor smell once in awhile but that's probably cause I left them sitting to long. Usually a long soak in soapy water has worked for me. (For plastic bottles)

PJReid

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    Plastic? Don't know anything about flying with vape gear so any info you have would be great.

You can take on the plane bottles up to 3.4 ounces (100ml) each and those bottles must fit into one quart-sized clear plastic ziplock bag. I have no idea how many 100ml bottles fit into a quart bag, but imagine it is quite a few. Batteries should be in your carry on luggage.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    You can take on the plane bottles up to 3.4 ounces (100ml) each and those bottles must fit into one quart-sized clear plastic ziplock bag. I have no idea how many 100ml bottles fit into a quart bag, but imagine it is quite a few. Batteries should be in your carry on luggage.
    Thank you. Your vape gear,pvs and tanks?

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Thanks. Don’t know where I heard chocolate being a difficult flavour from, perhaps I am mistaking for another flavour.
    I have read (and experienced) the same thing. I think, a lot of it had to do with the earlier chocolate concentrates, that were readily available (TFA, FW, CAP). They were rather weak, and not particularly realistic. The ones @FranC mentioned (with the exception of the HS Australian Chocolate) are all new(er) flavors.

I do (and this is pure speculation) think that chocolate is one of those flavors that some vapers have difficulty tasting (kind of along the lines of strawberry blindness). I also think any given individual's expectations come into play. If you read many chocolate descriptions, by true chocolate connoisseurs; much of their language describes texture vs. actual taste. Some textures can be roughly "suggested" (e.g. "thicker," "creamier," "juicier," etc.). But, much of that is as much psychosomatic, as it is physical. Vapers wanting that "silky, mouth-coating, trickling-down-the-back-of-your-throat" chocolate experience often get disappointed. :)
    Do you find the plastic bottles retain odour or even flavour? I have been recycling old glass 30ml drippers and have casually been looking for a surplus of these locally….on the cheap.
    I use almost all plastic for my DIYing, other than long term nic storage.

There are a minority of individual concentrates (TFA Absenthe is one that comes to mind), that like to linger in plastic. But, even those can get reused, by putting the same/similar flavor profiles back in them.

For the most part; a simple hot tap water rinse, and they are good to go for whatever flavor is next. For stubborn odors; I might do an overnight soak using a high proof neutral grain spirit; like vodka, white rum, or pure grain alcohol (PGA) when I can get my hands on it. Then the following day; dump, hot rinse, and good to go. I try to avoid soaps and other cleaners that may leave a residue, or odor of their own.

I do try to use LDPE, or HDPE plastics, and avoid PET. As, PET is (mostly?) intended as a one-time use container... otherwise, there is a possibility of chemical leaching. If you are going to buy new PET, use once, and then toss/recycle them, then PET should work.

I am, personally, not a fan of dropper caps:
    upload_2019-3-21_16-17-0.png

as the rubber used, to make both the bulb, as well as the bottle seal, is some of the most gas permeable material e-liquid can be exposed to. That can encourage flavor loss of volatile concentrates (like many lemons), and possibly oxidation of nicotine.

If the usage timeline is around a month; I doubt it is likely to be a problem. But, if the timeline is likely to be measured in months; I would look for a different cap/closure. But, that's just me.:D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Thank you. Your vape gear,pvs and tanks?
    Any hardware, that does NOT contain a battery, can go in either checked, or carry-on luggage. PVs, that have built-in/internal batteries, and all rechargeable vape batteries, have to go in your carry-on only (not allowed in checked-luggage).

As for liquids, if you are traveling for a longer time, and/or need larger volumes than is allowed in your carry-on; there are no volume restrictions for checked luggage. I traveled without incident, with a 1 quart bottle in my checked bag (and 60mL in my carry-on), on my last overseas trip.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Any hardware, that does NOT contain a battery, can go in either checked, or carry-on luggage. PVs, that have built-in/internal batteries, and all rechargeable vape batteries, have to go in your carry-on only (not allowed in checked-luggage).

As for liquids, if you are traveling for a longer time, and/or need larger volumes than is allowed in your carry-on; there are no volume restrictions for checked luggage. I traveled without incident, with a 1 quart bottle in my checked bag (and 60mL in my carry-on), on my last overseas trip.
    Thank you much:)

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    However, she is a evil genius so wouldn’t write her off as a culprit!

Wouldn't be a cat if she weren't ;)

In general, not ime. Although some flavors will sink in. Haven't ever used the above mentioned absinthe, but some bananas will do more than linger. Those bottles from a non-mixing vape bud, trying to help me out with more bottles, didn't recover using any methods! :lol: Since I REALLY don't like banana vapes, well, I did thank him for the thought ;)

Reactions: IDJoel

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

I've been using my stockpile of 50ml chubby gorilla bottles that used to contain my fave store ejuice. Got 30 or so of them ;)

I wash in hot water with a drop of detergent, rinse the hell out of them, and good to go - no odour from the old juice.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    One more flying question. Can your tanks be on your pv's or do you have to take them off.Can they have juice in them or do they have to be empty?
    For the tanks I think empty because the cabin pressure will cause them to leak.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 26, 2013
    MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
    One more flying question. Can your tanks be on your pv's or do you have to take them off.Can they have juice in them or do they have to be empty?

I thought there was a trick to have them upside down during take off/landing to compensate for the pressure change and avoid leaks. I haven't flown with them but tried to file away a bit of info in case I did. Now I'm curious!

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    For the tanks I think empty because the cabin pressure will cause them to leak.

I emptied mine last year when I flew but put them in the quart bag with my liquid. I didn’t clean them out completely. There was still residue in them. I didn’t want to have to break in new wicks when I got there.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    So would you agree with me that the lemon that you are detecting after 2 weeks is pretty meh?

Nope, I can't agree. It's not meh at all to me, at even a few days longer than 2 weeks. I don't know about any longer than that, because I'd vaped it all. It's not as potent or bitey as the day made, or the day after, (same as with many eliquids I make that contain alcohol), but to me it certainly was still far from "meh" when I finished it. Posted about it in 1 of my earlier posts, too, when someone asked if others had experienced fading with the Lemon in Nick's LMP.

ETA: It just dawned on me that I always get the best flavor, to me, when using any eliquids in my Berserkers with rayon wicking. Maybe that's also contributing to why I can still taste it so well.

Last edited:

NolaMel

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    Empty your tanks and put them in one ziplock (pressure change may make them leak). Remove batteries, put them in battery cases (must be something where they can’t touch, so not loose or they’ll seize them) in another ziplock. Internal battery, turn off. Put all mods in (you guessed it) a ziplock. When I fly where there’s no TSA precheck, those baggies go in a tray with cell phone, tablet or computer through the xray machine. Baggies make it easier to keep them organized and quicker to put back in purse/carryon, also easier for them to see what they are and avoid you having your bag searched. You can carry as many under 3.4 oz bottles of liquid that will fit in a quart baggie (please check your airline, some require original or unsealed bottles, not our diy kind). Southwest doesn’t care. I left half a tank full in the Flint in my purse, and it did fine. Do NOT put any mods or batteries in checked luggage. It’s illegal for the batteries, and unfortunately, you’re likely to be short a mod when you get your luggage.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 30, 2014
    Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
    Nope, I can't agree. It's not meh at all to me, at even a few days longer than 2 weeks. I don't know about any longer than that, because I'd vaped it all. It's not as potent or bitey as the day made, or the day after, (same as with many eliquids I make that contain alcohol), but to me it certainly was still far from "meh" when I finished it. Posted about it in 1 of my earlier posts, too, when someone asked if others had experienced fading with the Lemon in Nick's LMP.

ETA: It just dawned on me that I always get the best flavor, to me, when using any eliquids in my Berserkers with rayon wicking. Maybe that's also contributing to why I can still taste it so well.

Ok...interesting.....I know that a lot of people use lemon as an additive at the last moment. For example making the LMP recipe and leaving out the lemon until you are ready to vape and then only making enough to vape in the next week or so.

I won't do that because to me if a flavour is effectively disappearing then it isn't worth buying.

Interesting also what you say about the berserker possibly contributing to the flavour. My wife runs an Ammit rda and the flavour on that thing is amazing and does pick up all the finer nuances in a mix so I would say there's definitely a link to the type of kit you use. I'm a DL vapor usually around 60 watts with a 0.15ish ohm coil which definitely also can effect the strength of flavour.

Well, the main thing is that you are enjoying your lemon...it's one of my favourite fresh flavours in food so a shame that I can't repeat that when vaping. :)

Users who are viewing this thread