Rather than continue to derail a thread...dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
So we started talking about dogs in adrenalynn's thread...and I figured rather than continue to derail the tech talk I'd move it over here to respond...

roflmao, yes, ours has mastered a sort of 'failed jump pitiful face' routine, droz. lots of huffing and puffing and puppy-like whimpers.
LOL.. this isn't even a failed jump...ours outright stares at us to see if we'll stop him as he rests his head and front paws on the couch and then tries to repeatedly lift a back leg high enough to climb and haul his but up..but given he's short it takes a good 5-10 tries for him to hook his leg up there..and he just quietly looks at whoever is on the couch at the time to see if they'll try and stop him... but if he's running around playing with the kids or being called for a treat or even trying to get up on our bed which is twice the height of the couch...oh he's a jumper all of a sudden..

and just to be somewhat on topic, i love how 'drenalynn's instructions go from "GENTLY clamp" to "RIP the carto shell off." she's a versatile lady...
yup...delecate flower of womanhood that one...

My Joey refuses to jump up on the bed and will instead whimper and cry until he is picked up and put in bed like a baby. The only time he actually jumps up himself is if he and the cat are playing chase and he's not thinking about being pitiful.
LOL @ Taryn...you ever get the damn I've been busted look in the middle of all that...
Suppose it's my own fault for naming him Puck (yes from midsummer's night dream) not that I'm that kind of dad that would give the dog an easily mispronounceable name when a toddler is learning to talk..but ours acts like a total dope and I know it is an act...it's funny to watch him easily manipulate our 12 year old..but our cats still confuse him...he wants to play with them sooo bad but can't figure out how (apparently he knows enough that he can't rough and tumble with them like he can with the other dogs on the street)...and they want nothing to do with him...so he generally gets all excited when they get close enough and starts turning circles and wagging and then stares at them heartbroken and wimpering when they run off...
It's funny with the crossed breed I expected the high energy of the beagle but with the shortened windpipe of the pug so he'd easily wear himself out..what we got is a dog that is lazy at home with the family so he can store up ALL his energy so when we take him out around other people and dogs he has a seemingly never ending supply where everyone needs to pay him attention and play with him right now..so much so that he's already on the move to the next person by the time the first is actually bending down to pet him..little attention wh..e .Thinks he's still a tiny little lap dog too at 33 pounds.

Taryn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Florida
Well considering the cat is now bigger than the Joey they spend all day getting into trouble like Thing 1 and Thing 2.
pets.jpg

Wildcard

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2010
North Carolina
My wife and I have 4 dogs ssshhhh can't let them hear that because they don't know they are lol and 1 kitty and a parrot to boot. I don't think I could live without our babies even though they demand so much and the vet bills kill us. I wouldn't give up the love and companionship they give us for anything. Not only will I be helping myself when I start vaping I will be helping them as well.

Belletrist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2009
Virginia
yes, sugar (my half growed beagle) has a whole pitiful routine. the failed jump is usually the first 'act', followed by the dreaded beagle-stare. they're good at that stare. it's not just that it looks 'sad' or 'soulful'... i'm pretty certain she disrupts my thought processes with some kind of primitive telepathy. :lol: she has a little set of portable steps my hubs got her, but she will only use them when there isn't a human to mind-control around, or at least... when she doesn't know one is looking. ;)

and yes, she also magically has no problems leaping on the bed while in a game of chase with one of the other 5 dogs i have. funny how that works. :D

dgriego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
New Mexico

Belletrist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2009
Virginia
i have six:

sugar- pb beagle
starla- sheltie/golden mix
jaeger- pit bull/something huge that retrieves things mix
blue- prob pb rhodesian from a sloppy breeder
pan- basenji/something mix
bandit- catahoula/heeler mix

and drozd, even my 85 lb pit/whoknowswhat is still a 'tiny lil lapdog' if you ask him. he also thinks he's stealthy like a ninja, but he's more stealthy like a... hippopotamus. :lol:

dgriego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
New Mexico
i have six:

sugar- pb beagle
starla- sheltie/golden mix
jaeger- pit bull/something huge that retrieves things mix
blue- prob pb rhodesian from a sloppy breeder
pan- basenji/something mix
bandit- catahoula/heeler mix

and drozd, even my 85 lb pit/whoknowswhat is still a 'tiny lil lapdog' if you ask him. he also thinks he's stealthy like a ninja, but he's more stealthy like a... hippopotamus. :lol:

Same here, my Dogo loves sitting in the lap although he does not fit very well, my Vizsla will endure any discomfort to be able to sit in the lap.

Belletrist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2009
Virginia
jaeger looks a lot like a dogo argentino, but in black. and his ears were never cropped, so they fold. he's getting up in years (for such a large dog), he's about 7, so he's a bit thicker but still all muscle. he tries to kinda... flow onto one's lap, from a spot on the couch. he'll start out with his chin on your knee and inch his way over. or he'll climb onto the back of the couch (we aren't into designer furniture, thank god) and try to slide down over my shoulder. :lol: :lol: now, i only outweigh him by ~20 lbs, so we have some funny photos, :D

plantlvr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2009
Northern California
Oh you guys i want a dog sooooo bad :( But life circumstances what they are it's just not possible now. I had a black lab mix in High School that i adored, love Labs and Border Collies too. At work whenever I see a customer with a dog that's where I'll be asking permission to pet it! I have three cats inside that i adore so that helps my dog deprivation.
Two summers ago a 'person' dumped an adorable pit puppy on my street and I took it in. I loved it so but my husband at the time threatened divorce if I kept it so I got it adopted. Should have kept the puppy since the husband is now an 'ex' :D

Belletrist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2009
Virginia
ah, you've learned the cardinal rule of pet-parenting. pets>spouses, every time. :lol:

i divorced my first husband because he wanted to give my GSD away. true story. that was just the straw that broke the camel's back, he was an ...--already knew that. but when he wanted to give away my dog? psh. no further 'can i make this work' necessary. ;)

dgriego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
New Mexico
jaeger looks a lot like a dogo argentino, but in black. and his ears were never cropped, so they fold. he's getting up in years (for such a large dog), he's about 7, so he's a bit thicker but still all muscle. he tries to kinda... flow onto one's lap, from a spot on the couch. he'll start out with his chin on your knee and inch his way over. or he'll climb onto the back of the couch (we aren't into designer furniture, thank god) and try to slide down over my shoulder. :lol: :lol: now, i only outweigh him by ~20 lbs, so we have some funny photos, :D

Well I love the bully breeds, all of them!

Hektor's ears are not cropped. I do love the cropped look but could not bring myself to chop his ears off. He is very handsome with his folded ears.

I can relate to the lap and the couch, both my dogs are couch potatoes and both try to sneak into the lap, Hektor weighs about 95lbs and is just too much to take in the lap.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Our dog is a pug/beagle mix

one of his more amusing things of recent is squirrels....but he only recognizes them as squirrels if they make that specific squirrel pose (to match his one toy)..there were 3 of em in the yard not too long ago all within 15 feet or so of him...and he ignored them all while snuffleing through the snow but then the furthest one sat up into that pose just so and he immediately goes to point and takes off after it..I don't think he's really got the scent hound part of his beagle half under control...
But then again he's got it under control enough to narc out our 12 year old...the other day she gets ready to leave for school and suddenly he's real interested in her pocket...trying to get his nose into it...so we ask her what she's got in her pocket...nothing she says as he's trying to paw at it and focused in on that one pocket...turns off she grabbed some cookies and was trying to sneak them to school (she's not allowed sugar before school as she's adhd and it messes with her meds)...he totally busted her...

WitchWay

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I have 4 dogs and of course the 3 cats in the picture. All our animals have come from the pound or been on their way to the pound.

The dog that rules the house is a 22lb 15 year old Jack Russell Terrier named TJ
Then my baby is an 80lb 7 year old Pit Bull, Doberman mix named Majik
Our princess and the only female pet we have is a 110lb Golden Retriever named O'Leigh
Our newest addition happened when our next door neighbors had to move and couldn't take their then 6 year old, unfixed male Blue Doberman, named Dobbie, with them. The pound told them they wouldn't even try to adopt him out, that he would be put down as soon as they got him. We had watched that dog grow up from a puppy and could not stand the thought so we took him. That was 10 months ago and it has been interesting to say the least. First thing we did, and I mean the day after we got him, was to have him fixed. Dispite the trials of getting him used to us and the other dogs use to him, he had turned out to be a great addition and a blessing. Our daughter's Rott had died the year before from cancer and she had never gotten over it. He was her protector. Dobbie must have sensed she needed him because he quickly became her baby and her protector when she's home from college.

The 3 cats are brothers and we have had them since they were about 5 weeks old. The twins and yes they are twins are Hocus and Pocus. Pocus wears a collar so we can tell the two apart. The oddball is their brother Shadow.

Ok I wrote far more than I intended. Back to work for me. Ya'll have a great day!

Belletrist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2009
Virginia
the nose knows, drozd. :D i think if sugar went blind she'd barely notice, she hardly ever has the nose up off the floor unless she's making sad faces to get something.

maaron, i love talkers--i had a GSD who was a talker, and my beagle girl is too. (she can bay, but she mostly just... warbles. it fits better with her pitiful imagine.) she warbles and whinnies and grumbles at me all day.

dgriego, cropped ears look sharp, but i could never have it done. jaeger was full grown when i got him anyways... and yeah, bully breeds are amazing, truly amazing. plus, nothing makes the old fur-mama heart pitterpat like a big ole bully-grin.

Taryn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Florida
Today I'm puppysitting again for a friends 9 week old yorkie/poodle cross, he's just a little black mop about the size of my foot. Joey being the spoiled brat he is insists upon taking away any one of the dozen toys the baby wants to pay attention to and the cat is stalking him and hissing whenever the puppy notices.

The last time I watched him I took both of the pups to the bank and the ladies who always go nuts over Joey had me put Izzy into the drawer in the drive through so they could all pet him (yes he is that tiny).

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Today I'm puppysitting again for a friends 9 week old yorkie/poodle cross, he's just a little black mop about the size of my foot. Joey being the spoiled brat he is insists upon taking away any one of the dozen toys the baby wants to pay attention to and the cat is stalking him and hissing whenever the puppy notices.

The last time I watched him I took both of the pups to the bank and the ladies who always go nuts over Joey had me put Izzy into the drawer in the drive through so they could all pet him (yes he is that tiny).

Lol at least they arent asking you to shoot him through the air tube..

As for the toys, my aunt had a pair of dogs that she had to buy identical toys for each of them and keep them in seperate baskets...one would then steal the other one's toy and be the one to break the toy first that way his was still in good working order..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread