Status
Not open for further replies.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Here's 40' of Sally's for EU23 - https://www.amazon.de/Graham-Cellucotton-Beauty-Fibers-cellucotton/dp/B00PBGJT5A
A cheaper option (cheaper than the 500' box anyway) if you don't like what you bought.

And here's a pretty girl in a dress that came up in my search. Just because.
71UOgyYUThL._SL1047_.jpg

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Rayon can be made with trees as well as cotton. It's cellulose. Cotton and woody plants are also cellulose.
Rayon isn't made from cotton. Cotton is too valuable a form of cellulose in its natural state to break down and turn into rayon. Rayon is generally made from wood pulp.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
Rayon isn't made from cotton. Cotton is too valuable a form of cellulose in its natural state to break down and turn into rayon. Rayon is generally made from wood pulp.
Rayon has indeed been made from cotton. Not economically nor ecologically the most useful way. Could be any woody plant, though.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Rayon has indeed been made from cotton.
Oh, I'm sure it's possible. Rayon can be made from pretty much any form of cellulose. But it's not economically feasible to make rayon from cotton. Bulk cotton costs more per pound than bulk rayon does, so using cotton as a feedstock for rayon would be sure-fire way to lose money.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
Oh, I'm sure it's possible. Rayon can be made from pretty much any form of cellulose. But it's not economically feasible to make rayon from cotton. Bulk cotton costs more per pound than bulk rayon does, so using cotton as a feedstock for rayon would be sure-fire way to lose money.
Of course, that wasn't the point...

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Hello

This is a fantastic topic. I found 100% viscose which should be rayon from my understanding. The brand is Duchesse. 200gram for about 2 usd. It's used for medical purpose.

Maybe someone can confirm if I got the right material. When I burn it, it smells like burnt cigarette paper. It burns very fast and leaves only very little ash.
If you are in Germany dm Viskose balls are top quality Rayon. They are a little more work than the Graham Cellucotton as you have to unroll them.

I had six bags shipped to me from a Rayonati in Belgium. :D

ebelin Wattebällchen dauerhaft günstig online kaufen | dm.de
4010355912183-816318_org.png

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
I'm in Thailand so there is no option for rayon here. After getting a care package from one of our forum members I was impressed and bit the shipping price on a 40' box through Amazon. I have now had more than a month to experiment with many different rta's (at least 14). I find in those where it works it is fantastic and the wicks last a very long time. I would caution that there are some rta's that simply don't like rayon so your experience may depend on what you own. I am an avid supporter of rayon when it is compatible but I caution that my experience is that it is not a suitable replacement for cotton in all rta's.

Michael_S

Jun 9, 2018
Thank you guys for your replies. I'm pretty sure the viscose I bought is rayon. Some sources say, the name rayon and viskose can be used interchangeably. The photo posted above with the DM 100% viskose is from DM, a German drugstore company. Mine is from Mueller, also a German drugstore company. I'm from Switzerland. We got Mueller, but not DM.

However, both says 100% viskose.

I did a wick before I found this thread. I wasn't nt impressed. I wicked it same as cotton. With that I got easy dry hits. I was a bit frustrated to be honest.

Last night I wicked it again with very thin tails in my tfv12 prince RBA. So far, it's perfect. Taste is clear and it wicks great.

One member said that some rta isn't suitable for rayon. I wonder which kind of rta/rba is rather difficult to use with rayon. Mine is actually a classic velocity deck.

I definitly will try to get better in wicking with rayon. I thinned out the tails quite a bit and thought... That's won't work. But... I was wrong. I'm positively surprised.

Thank you all.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
One member said that some rta isn't suitable for rayon. I wonder which kind of rta/rba is rather difficult to use with rayon. Mine is actually a classic velocity deck.

I have yet to find a rebuildable that cannot be used with rayon. You don't wick it the same as cotton. Cotton expands when wet, and rayon shrinks. You want it fairly tight in the coil, but if you don't trim and thin the tails quite a bit, it's not good. You need good capillary action (yes, just like plants) and if you have too much or too thick tail, you will find you get dry hits. I have one velocity deck I over wicked, and I'm getting dry hits from it at the moment. I set it aside to deal with later. But I'm 100% sure it's my tails.

With rayon, less is more. And, to be fair, I have not wicked EVERY rebuildable out there with rayon because I don't own EVERY rebuildable out there. But so far, I have yet to find an RTA I can't wick with rayon.

There's a bit of a learning curve as it does the exact opposite thing than cotton. Etc.

Anna

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Unfortunately the few rta's which I own that simply will not play nice with rayon have nothing in common. That means that the outcome is not predictable. The good news is that of the many I tried most work very well with rayon. I am now very experienced at wicking with rayon so although the comments from Anna are all true, that does not change the fact that a few simply won't work. I freely admit that I did not try every possible coil size and composition when I found problems I simply switched to KGD cotton and of course it worked as it should. I did observe that all rta's that used a raised deck (the sort your would find in the Doggy Style or the Siren V2) will work every time.

Since some will insist on examples here are just a few. The Tilemahos Armed Eagle, The Vapor Giant and the Hurricane rta I found impossible to use rayon. It would always result in leaking or dry hits eventually. Even now I have 7 rta's that are using rayon perfectly and several are being used in tc with no problems.

Michael_S

Jun 9, 2018
What I did: I wicked the rayon quite tight in the coils. For that I made the wick a bit wet with juice before I put it into the coils. The tails I cut about 70% in height off before I put it into the juice wells. With that, I got the mentioned shoulders. I checked that the end of the wick just touched slightly the bottom. I believe, I can reproduce the entire process.

I thought the rayon sits way too loose in the wells. But, it seems it is perfect. I vape now on 85-110 Watt. I take long inhales with only short breaks. With that, the vape is even for me a bit too warm. I wanted to stress the wick. But, not even a clue of dry burn. With cotton and this kind of vaping, it would happen already. There would be a slight discoloration at the top fill rubber if there's burning something. But it's white and clean.

Seriously, I'm more than impressed. This entire new (for me) kind of wicking elevates the hole experience of vaping in general to new spheres.

May be my rba is just fine for it. Before the wick goes to the wells, there is a relatively tight channel. This might help the rayon to hold its position. Otherwise, since it's stuffed so loose, it might move around.....

I'm very grateful to the OP and the many information all you guys sharing.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
But in the coil itself, I disagree.

You are correct, I think I mentioned it earlier but should stay consistent. It IS possible to overdo rayon in the coil (rayon plays to my strengths, overstuffing things) and if that happens, the coil breaks into pieces inside the coil. That happened to me initially, but with a bit less force and a tiny bit less rayon, it is no longer happening. But, it is technically possible to use too much in the coil I've done it, and a rayonista (can't remember who) told me to use the tiniest bit less, etc. It worked.

Anna

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
The old rule of thumb...If you hear or feel a "squeak" as you pull the rayon through the coil you've got it right. Put another way, if you need to hold the coil in place with a thumbnail while pulling the wick through the coil, you've got it right. From there, trimming depends on the specific atomizer but, like Stols said, less is more with rayon.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Unfortunately the few rta's which I own that simply will not play nice with rayon have nothing in common. That means that the outcome is not predictable. The good news is that of the many I tried most work very well with rayon. I am now very experienced at wicking with rayon so although the comments from Anna are all true, that does not change the fact that a few simply won't work. I freely admit that I did not try every possible coil size and composition when I found problems I simply switched to KGD cotton and of course it worked as it should. I did observe that all rta's that used a raised deck (the sort your would find in the Doggy Style or the Siren V2) will work every time.

Since some will insist on examples here are just a few. The Tilemahos Armed Eagle, The Vapor Giant and the Hurricane rta I found impossible to use rayon. It would always result in leaking or dry hits eventually. Even now I have 7 rta's that are using rayon perfectly and several are being used in tc with no problems.
The Ravens Moon RTA wouldn't work properly with Rayon for me. It has a velocity style deck which you can't wick until you put the chamber on. There is not really anyway to thin the tails as you have to put the wick through a hole on one side, continue through the coil and out the hone on other side. Trim both sides flush with the edge of the chamber and juice. Easy with cotton, not so much with Rayon.
ravens_moon__6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread