Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I just bag my box, I have the small box and it's easy enough to do. I like the box because it keeps it all compressed and whatnot.

I wouldn't boil my rayon, personally. Unless I was using well, distilled water in some sort of pan that was IDK, sanitized somehow, I kind of think the rayon would smell worse afterwards, not better.

Anna

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
You know the whole "sanatize" thing with vaping, liquids and wicks in particular, seems a little over the top to me. Thoroughly washing a new tank, or even when rebuilding, seems a good idea to get rid of oils/chemicals especially in a new tank.

Think about it...when you vape everything gets heated to well over 300F and very probably to over 400F. Not much, if anything, is going to survive that. Flavor encroachment into wick materials is another matter though and can happen fairly easily since wick, by its' very nature, is very absorbent.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You know the whole "sanatize" thing with vaping, liquids and wicks in particular, seems a little over the top to me. Thoroughly washing a new tank, or even when rebuilding, seems a good idea to get rid of oils/chemicals especially in a new tank.

Think about it...when you vape everything gets heated to well over 300F and very probably to over 400F. Not much, if anything, is going to survive that. Flavor encroachment into wick materials is another matter though and can happen fairly easily since wick, by its' very nature, is very absorbent.

I always take a new tank apart and put it in my little ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with a shot of 91% alcohol and a couple of drops of dish soap. Several 3 minute cycles and it's oil free. I hate the taste of machine oil in a vape!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I store mine in plastic zip lock bags & no strange smells.

Likewise, split my big box into many quart zip locks. "Working" stock I keep cut about 2" long in a well cleaned Altoid tin, part of my build kit.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
My box has to be 4 years old now and I still have it in the original box. Of coarse within the box it's all in a plastic bag that I tie in a knot and it's has keep perfect. Every month I cut a foot or so and from that make a .... load of wicks that I keep in a small ZL bag. If my rayon got tainted somehow I would toss it before boiling.
How do you store your Rayon? After a few weeks it starts to smell kinda weird. It takes some puffs to kick in. I'm sure the Rayon absorbed some flavors from the air. Now I packed it in a new plastic zip bag. And I tried to boil some rayon. The smell has gone. But after boiling it, it's not that fluffy anymore.

However, in the meanwhile I found Rayon balls. They are actually rolled strips. Perfect for wicking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Likewise, split my big box into many quart zip locks. "Working" stock I keep cut about 2" long in a well cleaned Altoid tin, part of my build kit.
How cute! I like that idea.

All I have is a little 40 ft box. I have it turned upside down inside a very slightly larger box so that no dust can get in. Then I put some rayon into a snack baggy for daily use.

I did go to a Sally's a long time ago and just couldn't make myself buy that humongous box, no matter how cheap.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
So rayon is the only wicking material I use and been using it for a while, but how did the statement that juice wicks up in cotton but in rayon juice travels on the outside? I mean is this visable? I'm not disagreeing, but curious to who seen this or how this was viewed? How does one verify this, because to me , I can't really see this happening. ...

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Set my wife up with a squonker (ijoy capo 100), and VLS on top and used rayon. She loves it!

Just gave her a pico squeeze with a wasp nano and used cotton.. she can't stand it! Cotton tastes and wicking not to her liking at all.

That's good enough for me to stay with rayon...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
So rayon is the only wicking material I use and been using it for a while, but how did the statement that juice wicks up in cotton but in rayon juice travels on the outside? I mean is this visable? I'm not disagreeing, but curious to who seen this or how this was viewed? How does one verify this, because to me , I can't really see this happening. ...

From what we've learned from the Master OP Jeremy, cotton absorbs liquid, and rayon transports it.

Verification of this? I got nuttin'. :D

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I guess one can deduce from those facts that liquid travels around rayon then thru it, so perhaps that's it....wasn't trying to disprove what so ever, just curious because I have told people that as well.
I would speculate that the verification comes from the fact that cotton "expands", slightly, when wet versus rayon which "shrinks", slightly, when wet. Hence rayon needs to be tighter in the coil when wicking.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

The coil deck and chimney get really hot. The rest of the tank ... not so much. But, nicotine kills germs and other harmful bacteria, so the inside of the tank and the drip tip (if you get a coating of juice inside) is probably as sanitary as it can be when used by one person and not passed around.

I just wash my tanks under the sink tap when I recoil.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I guess one can deduce from those facts that liquid travels around rayon then thru it, so perhaps that's it....wasn't trying to disprove what so ever, just curious because I have told people that as well.

Cotton is a flat spiral ribbon type under a microscope. Rayon is more of a rod like ribbon fiber. I've read studies that support the tube transport of cotton and the surface transport of Rayon, but the pictures look more like flat fibers to me.

Microscopic appearance of Fibers - Textile School

Cotton
cottonlong.jpg

• Mature flat and ribbon-like with convolutions, thick wall and small lumen
  • Immature very thin wall and a large lumen with few convolutions
  • Dead very thin and almost transparent
  • Mercerized smooth and cylindrical, fewer convolutions and lumen or sometimes may be absent
Viscose rayon
rayonlong.jpg

• Normal type fairly dense longitudinal striations or fine lines
  • Special type-may be smooth and Structure less

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Thanks, will definitely check it out
Cotton is a flat spiral ribbon type under a microscope. Rayon is more of a rod like ribbon fiber. I've read studies that support the tube transport of cotton and the surface transport of Rayon, but the pictures look more like flat fibers to me.

Microscopic appearance of Fibers - Textile School

Cotton
cottonlong.jpg

• Mature flat and ribbon-like with convolutions, thick wall and small lumen
  • Immature very thin wall and a large lumen with few convolutions
  • Dead very thin and almost transparent
  • Mercerized smooth and cylindrical, fewer convolutions and lumen or sometimes may be absent
Viscose rayon
rayonlong.jpg

• Normal type fairly dense longitudinal striations or fine lines
  • Special type-may be smooth and Structure less

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
This article about how PG kills bacteria has held up through the years even in the face of studies that have suggested that bacteria lives on in the presence of ecig vapor. Apparently, it's good to have a PG component in your vapor.

http://www.ecigclick.co.uk/guides/propylene-glycol-vapour-a-bacteria-killer/

All the while, smokers are getting bombarded with bacteria from bacteria in tobacco smoke.
Inhaling Bacteria with Cigarette Smoke
I'm a true believer :thumb:

At 2 years smoke-free I went completely PG-Free for a few days to test if I have PG sensitivity.
My skin condition cleared up but I caught a cold. First cold since I switched.

I found that I can tolerate about 10% PG so I make most of my DIY at 10% (PG based flavoring and VG nic). I also use a PG-Free flavoring company (Nude Nic OMFG It's Chocolate & Watermelon Mint) and make them with PG based nic for 3% PG juice (3mg/ml).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread