Not open for further replies.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    That's too bad, sorry to hear that.

Slakov was the first one to introduce me to dm Viskose, he very generously mailed me a bag from Bulgaria. At the time everyone was interested in slavkov's balls. ;)

Those were great times in the Rayon thread, a lot of members we don't hear from anymore.
    Yes, I remember everyone wanted Slavkov's balls. :D

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
    Aug 31, 2018
    Cumbria
    www.e-cigarette-forum.com
    Hmm.. I thought for sure someone would have found this already when I found some via Ebay last night. Now I'm wondering if there's a reason..??

Anyways: Graham CelluCotton Beauty Coil 500FT 100% Rayon Fibers 44060 10747036440604 | eBay

That would be for 17 GBP or $23 US. I paid about $20US at Sally's for the 3lb box (900ft), so not too terrible. Unless there's something I'm missing.
    I also found on Ebay-UK the 3lb/900ft box for ~33 GBP IIRC last night.

But those aren't all too bad. You could even just order the smaller 500ft, and by the time you might need more, hopefully the price of rayon will have fallen below the price of diamonds from the 4th moon of Jupiter.

£10 Rayon, £50 carriage.

@AngeNZ , not sure about about the Curity product. Will bow to the superior knowledge of those on this thread, but reading up on these they are:
    • Made from medical grade rayon fibers to provide the greatest uniformity and highest absorbency.
    • 100% cotton
    Curity Cotton Prepping Balls

I thought Rayon was made from cellulose? Either way, I'm confused. How can a product be 100% cotton and Rayon at the same time?

As an aside, I'm really enjoying my Rayon wicks. One thing I've noticed is it seems to sound and respond very differently from cotton. It is almost as if I can hear the Rayon sucking up the juice, but I suspect it is down to lots of micro-bubbles forming on the coil. The result is a much more cloudy, full bodied vape, with a touch more spit back than cotton. It is not vicious, just a slight tickle on my tongue. It is different experience from cotton, the only thing I need to tweak is my squonking technique to get just the right amount of juice as it is easy to over-squonk and get a soggy wet vape. Cotton seems to be more forgiving in that regard as it seems to absorb more of the juice rather than just transport it straight to coil like Rayon. Once I get the balance right, I'm in vaping heaven. Combined with TC, it is a game changer.

The Kylin adores Rayon. If there is a tank that is designed for it, it's that one. I haven't been able to put it down since rewicking, so it will be interesting to see how my other tanks perform. I might even resurrect my Ringlord, which is all glitz and very little taste, with the noise of a demented turbine.

Last edited:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    £10 Rayon, £50 carriage.

@AngeNZ , not sure about about the Curity product. Will bow to the superior knowledge of those on this thread, but reading up on these they are:
    • Made from medical grade rayon fibers to provide the greatest uniformity and highest absorbency.
    • 100% cotton
    Curity Cotton Prepping Balls

I thought Rayon was made from cellulose? Either way, I'm confused. How can a product be 100% cotton and Rayon at the same time?

As an aside, I'm really enjoying my Rayon wicks. One thing I've noticed is it seems to sound and respond very differently from cotton. It is almost as if I can hear the Rayon sucking up the juice, but I suspect it is down to lots of micro-bubbles forming on the coil. The result is a much more cloudy, full bodied vape, with a touch more spit back than cotton. It is not vicious, just a slight tickle on my tongue. It is different experience from cotton, the only thing I need to tweak is my squonking technique to get just the right amount of juice as it is easy to over-squonk and get a soggy wet vape. Cotton seems to be more forgiving in that regard as it seems to absorb more of the juice rather than just transport it straight to coil like Rayon. Once I get the balance right, I'm in vaping heaven. Combined with TC, it is a game changer.

The Kylin adores Rayon. If there is a tank that is designed for it, it's that one. I haven't been able to put it down since rewicking, so it will be interesting to see how my other tanks perform. I might even resurrect my Ringlord, which is all glitz and very little taste, with the noise of a demented turbine.

If it says 100% cotton, then I agree, no idea how they can call it rayon fibre. I wouldn't bother with them. Hopefully some other UK vapers can chime in with more ideas

Reactions: stols001

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
    Aug 31, 2018
    Cumbria
    www.e-cigarette-forum.com
    If it says 100% cotton, then I agree, no idea how they can call it rayon fibre. I wouldn't bother with them. Hopefully some other UK vapers can chime in with more ideas

Thanks, @AngeNZ , the quest goes on for a reasonably priced UK supplier. I'm not giving up, but I refuse to pay the price of a couple of mods for something you can buy in the US that might get you a dripper. I am a Scotsman after all :D.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    Thanks, @AngeNZ , the quest goes on for a reasonably priced UK supplier. I'm not giving up, but I refuse to pay the price of a couple of mods for something you can buy in the US that might get you a dripper. I am a Scotsman after all :D.
    Are you a member of Mark Todds Facebook group "The Shed"? Plenty of Scot's there that might have some ideas for access to Rayon in the UK.

bask

ECF Veteran
    Dec 17, 2012
    The Euroneous Zone
    Anyway, I'm going to light up some rayon now.
    *shakes head and mumbles: "These dang hobbies of mine..."*

*edit: Jup, smells like paper, not like plastic. AND IT'S SO FLUFFYYYY!!!

tenor.gif

bask

ECF Veteran
    Dec 17, 2012
    The Euroneous Zone
    Alright, so... first impression: It's a bit more finicky. I mean, it probably has some, but not too big of a learning curve, but it pulls apart more easy than cotton. With my Hitachi Magic Wand motor skills is somewhat of a pita. So I thought I botched up one side, but lo and behold, it vapes like a champ. 78VG in a Dwarv 16. Flavor is not bad, might be a bit better, but I'll vape on it for a day or two and wick it again.
    This might not be the worst cult I've ever joined.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    I sent our prophet a message on FB 2 weeks ago to see how he's doing and it's still yet to be read. He's probably stepped away from all social media for a while, the last time I spoke with him was March.

We do have a very inactive FB group if any one is interested. ;)

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Alright, so... first impression: It's a bit more finicky. I mean, it probably has some, but not too big of a learning curve, but it pulls apart more easy than cotton. With my Hitachi Magic Wand motor skills is somewhat of a pita. So I thought I botched up one side, but lo and behold, it vapes like a champ. 78VG in a Dwarv 16. Flavor is not bad, might be a bit better, but I'll vape on it for a day or two and wick it again.
    This might not be the worst cult I've ever joined.

Some do report a taste to fresh rayon, some don't notice it. And some of us saturate the wick/coil and fire a few times before closing up the tank/RTA/dripper, both to prewet the darn thing and to eliminate any potential flavor.

Also, DO thoroughly wash your hands before handling the rayon - it will likely pick up anything on your skin ;)

And, hey, it's a pleasure cult, no worries :evil:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    You don't want the reinforced one. It has a paper strip in the middle. Yes, it can be removed but it's a PITA.
    Bought a box of Sally's up the street about 3 years ago and all they had was the reinforced. It's not really that hard, as the paper strip peels right away. Yes if you have the option of non reinforced, definitely better, but if all they had was reinforced, it's not really that big of a deal imo

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

Agree completely!!!!!!

Good luck with the quest for the holy grail... er rayon ;)

bask

ECF Veteran
    Dec 17, 2012
    The Euroneous Zone
    quest goes on for a reasonably priced UK supplier
    I might be able to get my hands on quite a bit. A bag of 1kg is like €9 here (excluding shipment).
    Maybe we can check prices for shipping to Scotland from mainland EU if you want?
    I could get a kilogram to Scotland for an estimated 20gbp. I took a random address in Edinburg and chose UPS Standard shipping and leaving it at an Access Point pickup. Also, the volume (size of the box) was a guestimate, but I think it's pretty close to actual costs. Mind you, a KG will last you a LONG time. Potentially years.

the B2K's
    Man, I'm kinda envious of you DL guys. You got so much cool gear. Lots of really dope RTAs/RSAs.

DO thoroughly wash your hands
    I always do. Had this really weird taste with cotton once. Never again!

prewet the darn thing and to eliminate any potential flavor
    Thanks for the tip! :thumb:

bask

ECF Veteran
    Dec 17, 2012
    The Euroneous Zone
    I might be able to get my hands on quite a bit. A bag of 1kg is like €9 here (excluding shipment).
    Maybe we can check prices for shipping to Scotland from mainland EU if you want?
    I could get a kilogram to Scotland for an estimated 20gbp. I took a random address in Edinburg and chose UPS Standard shipping and leaving it at an Access Point pickup. Also, the volume (size of the box) was a guestimate, but I think it's pretty close to actual costs. Mind you, a KG will last you a LONG time. Potentially years.

@Old Greybeard I adjusted for Carlisle (because what else am I going to do at 3:15AM o_O), might be just a pound more expensive.

One thing I just thought of though; have you tried going to a barbershops/hairdresser and ask if they can get it or know where you could? Shipping from here could always be Plan B. I mean, you can count on me, but might be even more cost effective. Just let me know if you want to go the shipping route. I'll take care of the local shipping costs to get it to my place (if any, because I need a new trimmer anyway and shipping will probably not cost anything).

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    Man, I'm kinda envious of you DL guys. You got so much cool gear. Lots of really dope RTAs/RSAs.

I love the B2K it's a great little single coil RSA. Using a 3mm ID 0.8x0.3mm SS316L flatwire build in each, TC on the DNA's and 55W on the Delta.

B2K's.jpg

bask

ECF Veteran
    Dec 17, 2012
    The Euroneous Zone
    Sooooo, I figured I'd immediately continue the experimentation with rayon and rewicked my Etna with it.
    Dumped some Element - Key Lime Cookie in it, which I hadn't touched for months and totally forgot that it was mixed too strong, so I'll need to add some base. :lol:
    Anyway, how do you guys and gals get the right amount for your size coil? The stuff almost disintegrates when you look at it, so I'm still at the phase where I use 20% and throw away 80.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    Sooooo, I figured I'd immediately continue the experimentation with rayon and rewicked my Etna with it.
    Dumped some Element - Key Lime Cookie in it, which I hadn't touched for months and totally forgot that it was mixed too strong, so I'll need to add some base. :lol:
    Anyway, how do you guys and gals get the right amount for your size coil? The stuff almost disintegrates when you look at it, so I'm still at the phase where I use 20% and throw away 80.
    What ID is your coil? If it’s 3mm I pull off a 1/4 of the strand & pull & stretch thin out the ends to a point & pull through. If you hear the rayon squeak than there’s enough.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread