The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

RDA manufacturers-MAKE THE HOLE BIGGER!!

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by the_vape_nerd, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. the_vape_nerd

the_vape_nerd Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 20, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    I hate to all cap here but c'mon. Why does every single rda I buy come with such a small hole. I have a drill and have been somewhat successful in drilling out some of my rdas but why can't they just come with a bigger hole to begin with?

It's hard to drill the things without scarring up the face of the atty.

Is there anyone out there who is happy with the tiny air holes?

2. D. Waterhouse

D. Waterhouse Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2009
    central WI USA
    Put a layer or two of masking tape over the hole and push a pin through from the back to locate the hole.

3. the_vape_nerd

the_vape_nerd Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 20, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    thanks for the tip but i still cant understand why they want to ship them with tiny holes when we all want a decent sized hole...lol

4. sawlight

sawlight Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 2, 2009
    Kansas
    Some of us like the tight draw the small hole gives us! I find the ZAP is even too airy for me, I like a tight draw and I'm not building cloud chasing coils.

5. natedawgdaboss

natedawgdaboss Full Member

Aug 29, 2013
    El Paso, TX
    take a look at the double cross v1.5 by cmii it has afc for its massive 3mm robocop airholes that should accommodate any airflow preference

6. e-pipeman

e-pipeman Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Brown Edge, England
    Big holes can make stuff suffer from leaky-in-pocket disease. No fun.

7. Hoosier

Hoosier Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Indiana
    "all" doesn't fit here. I usually want the hole smaller. I like a tight draw. If I liked airy draws, I'd not be so anti-carto.

Besides it's much easier to mod a hole larger than to mod a large hole smaller.

8. Kemosabe

Kemosabe Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Roe Dylin
    vape_nerd, im in the same boat as you. after experiencing an airy draw i knew i needed more air in just about all my attys. check out the trident. its got the biggest stock air holes on an atty ive purchased to date. its awesome imo. FT has a clone. another airy dripper i have is the dream dripper BT-801. the A7 is decently airy as well. whats weird is i didnt like airy draws at first. but once i got cotton micro-ing, i found their benefit and now i greatly prefer an airy draw. however, without lung-inhaling, i find the airy draw too awkward. but ive got no problem lung-inhaling. i actually prefer it. too bad i dont own a drill :/ guess i gotta borrow one...

off topic: which type of drill bit is suitable for drilling SS?

9. RadDog

RadDog Multiple ID Suspension

Jun 8, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Omega atty:
    Adjustable Airflow (3mm hole, twist to adjust size)
    Single or Dual Coil Configuration (3 holes in cap)
    22mm Diameter (fits flush on most mods)
    Stainless Steel
    Laser Engravings and Serialized
    Delrin insulator
    Made in the USA
    Loki Lab | Vape in Style!

10. GuataLOOP

GuataLOOP Full Member

Apr 1, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    well most RDAs come with 3 posts, so you can build a dual coil setup. I'd say about half if not over half of the people purchasing expensive RDAs with 3 posts want a dual coil setup. With small airholes your vapor production suffers, throat hit skyrockets, and your top cap gets way too hot.

That's cool if you like a tight draw but at the same time, you sacrifice a lot for that tight draw. 1/16th is a good happy medium I believe.

11. DasBluCig

DasBluCig Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Chichester, NH
    Taking metal away is simple......
    Putting it back ("^%^%! I made it TOO BIG!!!!:facepalm:) isn't......;)
    As others have said.....SOME like a tighter draw that comes from a smaller hole....
    Just another "variable" in the Wonderful World of Vaping!!:)
    Happy (vaping) Trails!

12. ambientech

ambientech Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 27, 2011
    somewhere
    I can get more vapor than my lungs can handle so I more than happy with them as is. I had to mod my Zap's because they are way too airy, Ithaka's and Igo-L's are perfect IMO. For those who like direct lung hits I do understand the need for a bigger air hole.

13. Mikerachy

Mikerachy Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 6, 2013
    HI
    My air-holes are only drilled out to 1/16 and are in the middle of a tight and loose draw. I also drilled out the spit guard, so that helps in the cooling and vapor production, leaving me with sexy smaller sized holes :ohmy:

14. TastyKakes

TastyKakes Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2013
    Philadelphia
    If everything just came with adjustable airflow, we could ALL be happy. Manufacturers gotta step their game up - I'm willing to hand over my hard-earned money, but I want options dammit!

15. Exhaler

Exhaler Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 3, 2013
    Mountains of NC, USA
    I like a tight draw, leave the hole small. If you want bigger, keep your drill handy or buy an RDA where you have flow control, which there are several.

16. Jjshbetz11

Jjshbetz11 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 15, 2013
    Ohio
    I'm in the airy draw crowd. Call it lazy or whatever. I watch these reviews and the reviewer takes these massivly long hits then they exhale. I'm like that's it? That's all of the vapor? I understand not everybody likes a airy draw. I do know that even after I modded my protanks, I just can't do a tighter draw anymore. Folks just do yourself a favor and get a cheap rba and grill out the og. air holes. Vape that exclusivly for a week. Then hit whatever you were vaping previously and the lightbulb will come on. It's literally night and day difference.

17. LeoRex

LeoRex Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    United States
    While I've really become accustomed to airy draws, the small holes don't bother me one bit. I just drill them out. If I liked tight draws and all there was were holes I could drive a bus through, I'd be aggravated.

18. Kemosabe

Kemosabe Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Roe Dylin
    Does a typical drill bit cut through SS easily? I'm gonna borrow my buddy's drill but I dont want to F up his bits on him. Ever since I got used to the airy draw, the small holes have been feeling restricted.

How about plated material? Am I running the risk of exposing something harmful if I drill out a chrome plated cap?

19. sawlight

sawlight Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 2, 2009
    Kansas
    A standard HSS drill bit will cut it. problem being you are opening up an existing hole so it will try and grab as it breaks through. Your best bet will be a drill press as slow as it will go with light/steady pressure on it. I can/have done it with a drill motor, but I have LOTS of experience, and even then break a bit!
    As for the coating, if you loosen anything up with a drill bit that's that nasty, you shouldn't be suing it to vape with to begin with!

20. shellac

shellac Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    United States
    Any decent drill bit will cut most unhardened stainless. Most hardware store drill bits are overpriced junk. A Cleveland or PTD cobalt drill bit will cost a buck or two from Enco, MSC, McMaster or the like. The drill is the bigger part of the equation. A drill press, lathe or mill that can hold the work in the proper orientation makes the job so much easier. If you must use a hand drill, at least secure the part in a vise and expect it to grab and pull through when it breaks through. Cutting plated brass or pot metal is stupid easy, but then the base metal is exposed. Most people don't care for that, but I don't personally know if it will have any ill effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.