RDA Scalded Throat

Status
Not open for further replies.

vernhall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
United States
Think I had a major brain burp a few days ago... Am relatively new to RDAs and popped the one I got onto my Vamo (was a generic clone with prebuilt coils) and tested the Ohms... Everything looked good so I took a hit off it as I normally would with a clearo/carto-tank... When I inhaled the 'steam', for lack of a better word, was hot and I think I scalded my throat (and maybe lungs)... My question is: how long should the burned sensation last before it clears up?

Have done searches here, but no luck so I posted this in hopes of getting some suggestions...

P1NkY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Planet Earth
Ouch! That sucks, I hope you get better soon, vernhall. Get yourself some Chloraseptic (or similar generic brand) throat spray or lozenges.

Next time you try a new coil, make sure the wick is fully saturated and that all the coils are touching wick with no spaces in between. Any part of the coil that does not touch the wick will glow and give you a nasty burning sensation. Genesis users know this all too well (hot spots / hot legs).

Regardless of what type of wick you use, keep it saturated. Cotton will burn and taste awful, silica will not burn, but the wire will glow and burn your throat.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Yea, some rebuildables have machine oils and crud in them when you get them new. It's best to clean them good before using them, and make your own coils. Also, most people tend to lower their nic down to 6 mg because the throat hit off a rebuildable is usually much stronger than on a regular coil. That is why I started using them because I wanted to lower my nic and still get a good throat hit. Also, if your air hole is too small, you will get more of a throat hit than if you open up the air flow more. Just some different things to check into with rebuildables.

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
I always ditch the stock coil and wick and wrap my own.
After undoing the stock wick I will scrub everything down with dish soap and a toothbrush, then rinse in hot water.
Dry well and wrap new coil.
Sounds like you got a pretty nasty dry hit.
I also lowered my nic level when moving to rebuildables from 12 to 6. Even mixing some juices down as low as 4mg for session vaping.
Organic or sterile cotton balls make for good wick material.
Just don't dry burn them, or any wick for that matter.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I'm pretty sure thats not accurate. I don't know anyone who uses 6mg.

Well, I guess it's what my friend that is a vendor locally and some of us in the area have done. Then again, they are mostly into sub-ohms so maybe that's why. I did have to cut back though on the nic due to strong throat hit when I started using rebuildables, but I was already at 10 mg. so it wasn't difficult. Just trying to think of different reasons it may have happened.

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
I always ditch the stock coil and wick and wrap my own.
After undoing the stock wick I will scrub everything down with dish soap and a toothbrush, then rinse in hot water.
Dry well and wrap new coil.
Sounds like you got a pretty nasty dry hit.
I also lowered my nic level when moving to rebuildables from 12 to 6. Even mixing some juices down as low as 4mg for session vaping.
Organic or sterile cotton balls make for good wick material.
Just don't dry burn them, or any wick for that matter.

I guess I should have mentioned that when I went to rebuildables and lowered my nic level, I was also moving from 1.8-2.4ohm cartos to wrapping .8ohm coils as well, so it was necessary for me to lower my nic.
1 good puff on my rda at .8ohm at my old nic level and I was spinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread