The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Re-buildable clearomiser suddenly tastes ewww

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Trilly, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Trilly

Trilly Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 10, 2011
    Derbyshire, UK
    OK, I probably already know the answer to this but wanted to get a census of opinion, I have been using the vision clearomisers (the rebuildable ones that you can change the atomiser heads) for a few weeks with great success till this morning, every monday I empty them, clean them and replace the atomiser head, I have 3 on the go with different flavours so each is done in turn, 2 are fine and taste great but the 3rd with my favourite juice in just tastes rank, plasticy (burnt bakealite is the closest thing I guess). I know it isn't the juice since it's the same bottle I have been using for more than a week and the ohm rating is the same, these are from the same batch and I have done nothing different to what I have done with the others but it tastes awful, completely unvapable.

The conclussion was that this is a prima of some sort but it isn't passing, it's getting worse (and has probably contaminated the rest of the juice in the clearomiser too).

Suggestions greatly appreciated

2. pan

pan Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    mchenry, il
    I have had the same problem..even when the atomizer head was new. Frustrating. I assume that when you say "cleaning", you mean dry burning..if not , try that. In either case, when this happened to me (just last week), I ended up taking off the rubber piece that covers the attomizer head. Slip it back on leaving a small gap above the slots that hold the wick in place. you may then notice that the "nipple" looking metal cover can be pushed in to close off the atomizer head, but will then leave a section of the rubber cap raised up a bit. I no longer push mine all the way down. That seems to incrase the flow of liquid to the wicks. When you but the mouthpiece back on, after it is tightened, loosen it a turn or two, and also loosen the bottom connection at the base slightly after screwing the monster back together. You may notice that this will lessen the vacuum that can be created. also.... I noticed once after taking one apart that a plasticy looking piece that is attached to the wick can collapse and bend in toward the atomizer coil, I bent that back in place with a pin on one, and pulled part of that piece out on another. These things can get quite tempramental, but so far seem worth the extra effort....good luck

3. Trilly

Oct 10, 2011
    Derbyshire, UK
    Since I now have a vape shop close to where I work I 'll pop down for some new ones and see if this one is salvagable, my worry is that the juice that is in there will be bad (since you have to take the thing apart completely to change them)
    I was told not to dry burn these though because it will scorch the wick (thus ruining it)

4. martinc

martinc Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 12, 2011
    Montreal,Quebec,Canada
    Yeah,dry burning ready-made atties with fiberglass wicks is not a great idea (they break down then you can potentially vape fiberglass...erk)

You can dry burn silica though

5. pan

Jan 16, 2010
    mchenry, il
    I have try burned all of mine repeatedly..even the model that is not rebuildable..leaving everything intact. the wicks have all been fine, but I did have the same concern before I tried it. I am just careful to proceed slowly so the tube does not get too hot..3-4 second at a time, with equal time or more between blasts. Sound like you do not have anything to lose on the nasty one. Your liquid may still be fine. I cut the an empty 10 ml bottle in half so I had some place to dump it out of the clearomizer while I cleaned it, then just poured it back in.

6. pan

Jan 16, 2010
    mchenry, il
    did not know about the break down...will keep it inmind, but I can at least stop suggesting it to anyone else.

Edit

concerned that I may have given bad advise..I went back through forum posts on dry burning these atomizers. again, we all have opinions, but after what I have read, (and verifying that I remembered accurately)..I personally would not dry burn silica.

now I want to know what these wicks are made of......

7. Trilly

Oct 10, 2011
    Derbyshire, UK
    OK so I headed out to the physical shop near work for a couple of extra atomiser heads, goes into the shop and there is a lady in front of me complaining about the same thing, she had only been vaping a month and thought she had done something wrong, the staff there don't vape and were not much help to her. good samaratin that I try to be I steps in saying I have the same problem, although she was using a menthol juice it had the same burnt plastic tone to it that she claims, like me wasn't there till she changed the atomiser head, quick comparison of receipts confirmed they were purchased within a few hours of each other, in stepped another guy with the same problem, another veteran vaper who agreed with me, this was batch related, he had tried cleaning out the atty, rewicking to no avail, it must be the batch, his was from the day before. The staff made a quick phone call and replaced all our clearomisers for free rather than just the head units aswell as a free bottle of juice each too (said they would rather do that than risk us having ones from that batch which my now I suspect had been sold anyway). Since I need a couple of spares anyway they brought a fresh box from the back that had been delivered that morning and I got ones from there.
    I wasn't going in to complain but for a replacement while I tried to solve the faulty one but I'm glad now that I did since I was able to confirm to this poor lady who was on the verge of giving up that it wasn't her. We went and had a coffee while she filled her new cartomiser, let it stand for a few minutes before vaping, she is one happy vaper again.
    Lesson learned here is that my gut told me something wasn't right, perhaps alerting the supplier of the problem may confirm a faulty batch and if they are reputable they will sort it for you with no cost.
    (And I have the old one so when it's cleaned out I can pop a new head on it and I have a spare to add to the collection, win win situation)

8. SilentEcho13

SilentEcho13 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 7, 2010
    New York
    Here's my process with a 1.8ohm rebuildable vision:

Every 1-2 weeks (depends when performance begins to drop)

-Rinse the coil unit with hot water until wicks are semi-white
    -Soak and stir the unit in a little bit of isopropyl alcohol for 15-20 minutes
    -Remove unit, rinse in hot water again
    -Let soak in hot water for 15-20 minutes
    -Remove unit, "blow it out" from both ends until moisture doesn't escape onto your fingers
    -Put on eGo (with the bottom piece attached, no tank) and dry burn in pulses until the coil glows evenly. It won't burn well at first due to moisture, but it will after a few attempts.
    -Blow off residue (rather violently)
    -Rinse in hot water again
    -Blow off excess moisture
    -Dry burn again, coil should glow after 1-2 attempts.

As a result, the wicks should be nice and clean, with no buildup. Make sure the top coil is screwed on tightly on the base, and rebuild your vision. Fill up your juice and let it sit for 30 minutes on its side to wick up, then vape away. Make sure the mouthpiece/top cap isn't screwed on too tightly either. It presses down on the silicon insulator and chokes the wicks. It should just be on enough to keep the cap steady and solid.

9. pan

Jan 16, 2010
    mchenry, il
    I have only been using the rebuildable clearomizers for just a bit more than a week. I have re-set, repositioned, rinsed, washed,tightened loosened..played with this things WAAAAYYY too much. The are awesome..for a while. Yesterday, I had lack of flavor issues... today burnt , nasty chemically flavors off and on all day. This is not just problem with on unit. I had 4 of them going...so if one went sour I had other options. Well, murphy... all four were disgusting by the end of the day. I think the problem is just me. I tried. I WANT to like these because the look good with my new K and Q batteries. I like the mouth piece better than my ego T...but they have turned out to be such a disappointment. One is tasting burnt, one like strong plastic, one like motor oil, and the other like wick..very much like the cart filling from a few years back. I think they burn through liquid much faster for me. The most disturbing thing..now I hate the one and only liquid I ever use. I can smell it in the room, on my clothes, in the car...never had this problem before. Each clearomizer distorted the flavor differently...and now I even dislike the smell of the liquid still in the bottle..and I never even really noticed it before.

Sorry for the rant..thanks for the opportunity to vent. I am very concerned that I seem to have developed an aversion to the one liquid I have used all these years and I am baffled.

I pulled my ego c out of the case..time to take a break and then go back to consistency.

10. hrlw817

hrlw817 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 5, 2012
    St. Charles, MO
    Agreed. I sometimes just take off my clearo and just put back the original tank system from my eGo-c when I get tired of fiddling with the clearo.

11. NancyR

NancyR Account closed on request ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2012
    Washington State
    If it is the same type of head as the vivi nova it is very easy to rebuild. I use it til it needs to be replaced, take the old coil and wick off make a new one clean the rest of the tank put everything back together and I am good to go. I know what my wicks are made out of as I use 100% cotton thread that I boil for 10 to 15 minutes first (I boil enough for about a dozen heads at one time, let it air dry then roll it up and put in a zip lock bag til needed)

12. Racehorse

Racehorse ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    They are. As a matter of fact, I believe they are even interchangeable WITH the Vivi Nova ones.

Do you have any instructions on your cotton wick method in full?

13. NancyR

NancyR Account closed on request ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2012
    Washington State
    vivi nova rebuild tutorial

I don't worry about the non resistant wire and I use 33g kanthal a1 instead of the 32g kanthal a1. I also use 4 strands of cotton crochet thread for the wicks. Only thing I do with the thread is I cut a long length off, fold it in half then half again let it twist on itself like it will do then boil it for 10 to 15 minutes, let it air dry. After it is dry I roll it and put in a ziplock bag til needed.

14. Trilly

Oct 10, 2011
    Derbyshire, UK
    Thanks for this, will definately be trying this weekend as I have a few that had just started to go so suspect they are in fact salvagable. Does anyone know what (if any) the british equivolent is of isopropyl alcohol, I've never heard of it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.