Re: Stonewalls/Arrivas - Effectiveness and Health side effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodari

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2011
New Mexico
Well, on the suggestions of 01 and Ettan from y'all I think I will start there. I guess I will seek it from Northerner? Does that seem ok? Open to suggestions?

I continue with the Stonewall regulars but find them somewhat sweeter than I'd like. Also a bit harder to park the pill as it wears down(dissolves smaller), but that's not the end of the world, minor. It's a little too sweet for my liking. I'm type 2 diabetic and I've trained myself, over 3 decades, not to crave sweets. All in my head I guess.

Real battle is with analogs as I am still doing 1/2 pack of these lousey little cigars I get on the Rez. I live next to, at a discount yet. Morning awake time urge for me is just plain nutso, screaming meemie level itch for a cig.

Snus I'm hoping will work better than the Stonewalls, quicker? I've gotta try it, hope it works.

Thanks.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Snus I'm hoping will work better than the Stonewalls, quicker? I've gotta try it, hope it works.

Thanks.

Snus is going to have a better nicotine hit to it, but it's still going come on a good deal slower then cigarettes. It just takes a bit of adjustment. Nothing will ever replace that quick hit from a smoke. The overall satisfaction level for snus is a good deal better then stonewalls. It is definitely not going to be sweet so no worries in that regard. In fact, as hittman mentioned it may take a week of so to get used to the salty flavor.

dodari

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2011
New Mexico
Snus is going to have a better nicotine hit to it, but it's still going come on a good deal slower then cigarettes. It just takes a bit of adjustment. Nothing will ever replace that quick hit from a smoke. The overall satisfaction level for snus is a good deal better then stonewalls. It is definitely not going to be sweet so no worries in that regard. In fact, as hittman mentioned it may take a week of so to get used to the salty flavor.

Thank you Stubby, understand regarding the saltiness. Kind of a "get used to it" period, that's ok, expected.

Northerner seems a reasonable supply source where to start, yes? Looks ok to me.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I know for sure that northerner and getsnus charge tax but their shipping is cheaper than ordering from Sweden. That being said, I really like snuscentral but you have to put in a pretty large order to make it worth the higher shipping but they also carry more brands. I know that's difficult when you don't know for sure what you like yet. I was lucky enough to start using snus before the pact act and the crazy shipping charges.

dodari

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 4, 2011
    New Mexico
    Soooo, I ordered from Northerner, they were out of one of the products I wanted. Shipping cost is rather extraordinary, even on UPS, considering I just sent specialized engine parts from here in NM to Ohio UPS and comparing 270 pounds of engine guts to a litlle over a pound of tobacco product at what they charge is a rip.

Oh well.

Do they e-mail an order confirmation, tracking number, anything?

Thanks.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Yes the PACT Act has definitely made it more difficult to exit the smoking arena and improve your health, go figure. I think the governments are addicted to our tax dollars, all in the name of the children. Three years ago it was easy. I got started buying from Sweden sample packs of 10 different snuses, honing into what I liked best. If you get into snus you might find the variety is what really makes it. I never thought I was interested in Menthol/Mint/Wintergreen flavors and General Mint has become my at least once a day choice. I have a can that I throw 4 or so different flavors in and alternate depending on mood. The flavors sort of get intertwined so I'm never really getting the exact flavor from any one of them.

I agree with Hitt, Snuscentral is one of the better Swedish sources. I've also bought from Buysnus who run some decent specials. Get on email lists from the various sellers since they run specials all the time. There are other good sources. I can't remember which vendor has grab bags, but I've bought them and found some interesting cans. If you pay attention to the "Whats Under Your Lip" thread, on a regular basis, you'll get heads up on specials from the regulars as we get them from vendors.

I don't know how much you were smoking, but it can take a combination of vaping and smokeless to get you to break the habit. I know for me breaking a 2-3 PAD habit took months and a lot of experimenting. Now 3+ years later4 or 5 portions a day, about a ml of nicquid/WTA a week and some nasal snuff occasionally and I'm good to go. Everyone is different and whatever works.

One last thing. If you find you like snus, remember how much you spent on cigarettes when you were smoking. It makes it easier to place the larger orders required to make shipping more reasonable. As long as you have a cool/gold place to keep you supplies, the cans last a really long time. I keep mine in the freezer and three years later most are very acceptable.

dodari

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 4, 2011
    New Mexico
    Yes the PACT Act has definitely made it more difficult to exit the smoking arena and improve your health, go figure. I think the governments are addicted to our tax dollars, all in the name of the children. Three years ago it was easy. I got started buying from Sweden sample packs of 10 different snuses, honing into what I liked best. If you get into snus you might find the variety is what really makes it. I never thought I was interested in Menthol/Mint/Wintergreen flavors and General Mint has become my at least once a day choice. I have a can that I throw 4 or so different flavors in and alternate depending on mood. The flavors sort of get intertwined so I'm never really getting the exact flavor from any one of them.

I agree with Hitt, Snuscentral is one of the better Swedish sources. I've also bought from Buysnus who run some decent specials. Get on email lists from the various sellers since they run specials all the time. There are other good sources. I can't remember which vendor has grab bags, but I've bought them and found some interesting cans. If you pay attention to the "Whats Under Your Lip" thread, on a regular basis, you'll get heads up on specials from the regulars as we get them from vendors.

I don't know how much you were smoking, but it can take a combination of vaping and smokeless to get you to break the habit. I know for me breaking a 2-3 PAD habit took months and a lot of experimenting. Now 3+ years later4 or 5 portions a day, about a ml of nicquid/WTA a week and some nasal snuff occasionally and I'm good to go. Everyone is different and whatever works.

One last thing. If you find you like snus, remember how much you spent on cigarettes when you were smoking. It makes it easier to place the larger orders required to make shipping more reasonable. As long as you have a cool/gold place to keep you supplies, the cans last a really long time. I keep mine in the freezer and three years later most are very acceptable.

Yep, the PACT act is a crock of poop. But it's there so we have to deal with it.

On the economics of the issue, I was formerly(hopefully) a 2-3 pad smoker. Being next to a Rez(reservation) I can purchase a carton of ciggy sized little filter tipped cigars called Cornerstones for $10/carton. The outlet is called White Buffalo, Isleta Pueblo, New Mexico, tel.#:505-869-2121, talk to Mary, Ray, Cici or Joshua. No kidding here. The ecig etc. business has been vastly more expensive than my damned self destructive habit. I am NOT advocating continued smoking I'm just saying the dollar and cents situation as it is here. I have realized absolutely no savings in switching to ecigs and whatever under conditions here. HOWEVER, It's a no-brainer the darned cigs are killing me.

When I ordered from Northerner the other night I wanted to try 01 and Ettan, they only had Ettan, out of 01. I checked GetSnus, they were out of 01 also. Sooooooooooo, I guess I'll try SnusCENTRAL.

In your guys' experience what's the tax, tariff, shipping etc. costs running, more or less, on that?

I'm desparate, I'll try SnusCentral, just wondering from y'all's experience what to expect there. Must take a fair amount of time to ship?

I'm not meaning any sass toward anyone here. I'm just frustrated as hell.

Thanks.

Skrymr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 5, 2009
    dodari, I understand the frustration. I always order from Snuscentral because they don't add my states taxes. Their shipping is high, but for about 2 or 3 dollars more I get all my orders in about 3-4 days. You have to sign for them, but we work that out.

Not ax, no tarriff, but about 48 dollars shipping on my usual order. which is about 6-8 rolls of snus.

Snus central is my go to site.

If you are looking for plain tobacco flavor. Keep Offroad Original or Thunder Original in you're sights. Cheap and high quality. Offroad is 8mg per pouch, and Thunder is 16. I use Thunder Original all day every day with the occasional Coffee Supreme (discontinued) thrown in. Every bit as good as Grovsnus for a much lower price.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    One other thing I might mention. Northerner owns getsnus. They bought them around the time the pact act was going into affect. It might be worthwhile checking buysnus too. I'm not sure if their shipping is as high as snuscentral. It wasn't that long ago that the shipping at snuscentral was closer to $30. I always get orders from them in three days. My last one from getsnus took 7 or 8. They must get a discount for slower shipping or something.

dodari

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 4, 2011
    New Mexico
    dodari, I understand the frustration. I always order from Snuscentral because they don't add my states taxes. Their shipping is high, but for about 2 or 3 dollars more I get all my orders in about 3-4 days. You have to sign for them, but we work that out.

Not ax, no tarriff, but about 48 dollars shipping on my usual order. which is about 6-8 rolls of snus.

Snus central is my go to site.

If you are looking for plain tobacco flavor. Keep Offroad Original or Thunder Original in you're sights. Cheap and high quality. Offroad is 8mg per pouch, and Thunder is 16. I use Thunder Original all day every day with the occasional Coffee Supreme (discontinued) thrown in. Every bit as good as Grovsnus for a much lower price.

One other thing I might mention. Northerner owns getsnus. They bought them around the time the pact act was going into affect. It might be worthwhile checking buysnus too. I'm not sure if their shipping is as high as snuscentral. It wasn't that long ago that the shipping at snuscentral was closer to $30. I always get orders from them in three days. My last one from getsnus took 7 or 8. They must get a discount for slower shipping or something.

Thanks, both of you. I will check all you both mentioned later today. Probbably end up going Snuscentral, shipping ouch but what cha gonna do!?

Sorta figured Northerner and Getsnus were tha same as they were both out of 01 all at the same time. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Gotta go out back and do a guy's injectors on an old VW diesel. I have a couple also. Wonder whatever possessed me to do these as a hobby in my old age. Talk about smoke!! Whoopie! I must be nuts.

dodari

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 4, 2011
    New Mexico
    Another thought is to put together a fairly large order and if there's anything you don't like then you could sell or trade it for something you do like.

Well I have 2 Ettans coming from Northerner, they were out of "01". Also, though, have 4 "01"s coming from SnusCentral, where the "01" is in stock. $30 for shipping is stiff, but as you said a larger order would make it more reasonable. A small learning curve, not so bad.

Next time all from SnusCentral, they're fairly quick too, all things considered.

Last edited:

dodari

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 4, 2011
    New Mexico
    Let us know what you think of them. Did you get cans or rolls? Anything else on that snuscentral order?

I ordered 2 cans Ettan from Northerner, wanted to get some "01" from them as well but they were out.

So I ordered 4 cans 01 from Snuscentral, scheduled to get here next Monday.

Thought I'd try 'em out, see how it goes and then order more, maybe broaden out taste a bit.

Had to start somewhere not knowing much about it.

dodari

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 4, 2011
    New Mexico
    Got the "01" from SnusCentral about an hour ago. On first one, seems ok.

Haven't heard a word from Northerner, no order confirmation e-mail, no nothin', ordered just before the order to SnusC. Northerner did charge my CC according to my bank record however. But not a f---ing word from Northerner acknowledging even the order. Deadbeats? WTF.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread