Re-wrapping 18650's - Optimal heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GccTxs67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Virginia
I have some batteries ready for new wraps and I tried to use the wife's hair dryer, and while it worked somewhat, they aren't perfect, they do have a few wrinkles i could not seems to get out.

About to buy a heat gun and was wondering about the output I need before I purchase, I see everything from 1000 to 1500 watts. Wagner has a 1200 Watt on sale for a decent price I may want to grab.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455375477.275982.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455375492.017025.jpg

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Its Funny to see this Thread. Because I just Re-Wrapped some batteries last night. I use a Blow Dryer on High and it works fine.

One thing that I have found that Minimizes Wrinkles is to start at one end of the Battery and work you way to the Other while Constantly Rotating the Battery.

Think of it like Painting. You get a Better Finish if you are Constantly going from a Painted Portion to a Non-Painted Portion. Verses Painting Random Spots and then going back and Filling In the Non-Painted Portions.

Reactions: Marc411

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Cool, thanks, this was my first attempt. I'll try again before I buy one.

Side note, if I was to print an image on standard paper and applied it the bare battery before wrapping it with a clear wrap, would there be any issues with battery function or safety?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You Shouldn't have Any problems. But one thing you should consider is that Adding a piece of Paper will increase the Diameter of the Wrapped Battery by that amount.

So if you have a Mod where the Battery fits Very Snug, your finished Battery might be Too Big.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
I have some batteries ready for new wraps and I tried to use the wife's hair dryer, and while it worked somewhat, they aren't perfect, they do have a few wrinkles i could not seems to get out.

About to buy a heat gun and was wondering about the output I need before I purchase, I see everything from 1000 to 1500 watts. Wagner has a 1200 Watt on sale for a decent price I may want to grab.

maybe concentrate the hot air output...
or maybe the unit comes with attachments ?

upload_2016-2-13_14-9-52.png

jus sayin'

:evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread