Reactions To Vaping In Public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

winemermaid

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
United States
My husband and I took a one day vacation to Holiday World a few weeks ago and obviously, took our vapes with us! Throughout the day we noticed as we were standing in line for rides, that we were getting dirty looks from people. Granted, I'm sure that not EVERYONE knows what an e-cigarette is but some people were just being flat out RUDE about it. I was curious, what kind of reactions do you get when you vape in public? Not all of my experiences have been "bad", sometimes it is a conversation starter and who knows, maybe even makes other people want to quit. Maybe it's because I live in small-town Indiana? Or are people really that rude everywhere about it?

jg1986

Verified Member
May 25, 2013
California
I have gotten a wide array of reactions. I have had a few people look at me after I exhale and do the fake cough like it's cigarette smoke. lol. I have incidents where it has sparked great conversation and one time I even took a guy to my local vape shop, and he bought himself a starter kit and started his vaping journey analog free. It will take some time for it to become socially acceptable, but I think it will get there.

Teach08

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Nashville, TN
We went to dinner with non-smoker friends last night. We were seated next to the front window, group of 7, no one really looking at us. I blew a big puff at my friend so she could "smell" the non-smell, and no one even noticed. :)

We have a Disney trip coming up in October...can't WAIT to sit in the room and on the patio and vape away! I'm sure discretion will be required in the parks to avoid nonsense, but I don't plan to hang in any smoking areas...especially during Food and Wine!

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
I used to get all sorts of reactions, now I am ignored mostly, unless someone is interested in changing to vaping. Small town, most people know me and, they are used to seeing me vape wherever. All of my family that used to smoke vapes as do most of my once smoking friends, it isn't a big deal around here.

What is a big deal is that there is a new vape shop open that not everyone has been to yet, now that's worth talking about. :)

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
Absolutely non-eventful. But I choose my states where I visit carefully ;-) And
in Missouri we aren't all uptight about everything. I semi-stealthed vaped in restaurants
in Nevada, in airports, all over Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Nevada...even parts of California.
And no one has said a word, and I didn't notice any dirty looks or anything.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
My only real experience vaping in public- other than in my car, has been on a recent trip to Prague, CZ. Basically no reactions whatsoever. E-nic is big there, as most of the population smokes, but want to quit. There was widespread use in restaurants that don't allow smoking inside and no one seemed to notice or care. Several tourists did ask me about it, saying they want to quit smoking or know someone who does, so I have gave them Halo cards. Many women loved the smell of Alice In Vapeland's Zombie Apocalypse...

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I get alot of double takes on the stares from other drivers. I did have one cop pull me over but once explained (and he tested my juice) I was sent on my way with a good luck on quitting.

I am in a small town. I have never seen another vaper in the wild, not even a cigalike. It really doesn't surprise me that people are puzzled by my larger vaping rigs.

I own a Vape Shop in my town and my customers have been welcomed pretty much everywhere. Before we opened, we went around town to the bars and restaurants and showed the owners and bartenders what to expect and what ecigs were....education is key! But, personally, I usually get more "hey, that's cool" comments than anything else.

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
I've gotten a wide variety of reactions. Most positive, but just alot of people either not knowing what an e-cig was or never seeing someone use one in person. A lot of stares, particularly with the bigger devices. I really do think we need to get out there more and vape more in public so we can answer questions and educate folks and so that people will become accustomed to them. Not sure if we are a subculture or what. Dirty looks may come from those who think your smoking and perhaps even from smokers feeling resentment when you vape where smoking is not allowed.

BigBaby

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
West GA
Or are people really that rude everywhere about it?

No it is usually either "I wonder if you could put blah blah blah in there" or "I just don't see how that can be any better for you". I try to be a good ambassador of vaping, but when someone is rude or just obnoxiously ignorant and argumentative I tell them impolitely to stop talking and get away from me.

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
I moved from a town in NC (Kernersville) where I was one of just a few vapors that got mixed reactions to wilmington Nc where there are a few DOZEN brick and mortar vape stores so it was like moving into a vape haven. Here, so many people use pvs it's kind of a thing where if anything is said at all, it's something like "how you liking that new protank?" or something like that. It's been a pretty awesome journey. I guess I kind of got spoiled by being able to just pull over anywhere and pick up juice or hardware, to the point I realized that I was behind on the very technology I helped create at one point. I used to make mods and do some serious testing for new products and now I'm back in ECF bc I love staying on top of the game.

rprata

Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Providence, RI
I never really had many comments on my vaping in public.. I tend to only vape outdoors, never inside a business, pretty much followed the rules as if I was smoking, I'm trying to be courteous. Also never spotted any other vapers in the wild, except some guy with a cig-a-like tucked behind his ear a couple of weeks ago. Last night, that all changed, and it was a hoot.

I'm a photographer at a race track, and last night I was photographing and I noticed a guy I know puffing off a Blu. I asked him how it was working, and he said he loved it. His daughter said she's been looking for something and that the Blu never worked for her, so I told her I'd help her get setup with a decent starter kit. Right after that, I was in a different spot, behind a few people, taking hits off my Provari with the Z-Atty. I noticed the lady in front of me glancing at me, whispering to her husband, glancing at me, whispering, rinse and repeat. Then I spotted the eGo / CE4 setup in her hand, and we started a conversation. Told her I'd never seen anyone out in the wild with one of those, and she said that's what she was just saying to her husband. She hasn't smoked since the end of 2011 thanks to vaping. So that's 2 in one night. Little later I went to a bar I frequent, and I was outside hitting my eGo / Protank setup while a couple of guys were smoking. One of them asked if it was one of those "electronic hookas" .. I said, no, it's like a Blu on steroids.. then he pulled a pink eGo batt with a CE4 out of his pocket.. my mind was blown that he was stinking up the parking lot with analogs while he had the eGo in his pocket. I went back in the bar, and a few min later noticed him and his bud passing the eGo rig back and forth. So that's 3 vapers in one night, 2 of which were on eGo setups. Before that, I had never seen another vaper in public except the guy I got my starter kit from, and one other friend I know that has been vaping forever. Was a hoot! :D It's getting to the point where I'm going to order a few inexpensive but effective starter kits off Fasttech and keep them around, I keep running into people that want to vape to quit but don't know where to begin.. I can get them started, educate them on how to use the gear, where to order juice, how to use / maintain the gear, and feel good that I'm helping people quit the stinkies! Makes me happy!

freeall

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Canada
I try not to vape out in public, or atleast not where there's people I know will frown upon it or ask all kinds of questions. Depending on where or who I'm with, I try not to make a scene with my vaping. I'm more less just tired of trying to explain what my provari is. Too many questions from too many uneducated people in many aspects of life, let alone vaping lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread