Read this first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Some members have chosen to adapt the ingredients commonly found in e-smoking liquid and make their own varieties.

The handling of pure nicotine and the chemicals needed to create e-liquid must be done only by those qualified to work with dangerous materials.

Any information contained within this forum is acted on at the user's own risk.

E-cigarette-forum cannot be held responsible for individuals causing injury or even death to themselves or others by following the information contained in this forum.

Anyone considering doing so must bear in mind the following:

• Nicotine is an extremely toxic substance. More so that arsenic, milligram for milligram. Its extraction, storage and use in e-liquid pose a significant risk to the user and anyone who might come into contact with it.

• Never allow nicotine to touch your skin or allow it to build up in the atmosphere. Always wear suitable protective clothing and keep workspaces well ventilated.

• Extreme caution must always be applied in the handling of nicotine, especially where children are concerned - a drop of e-liquid that might make a long-term smoker feel sick will likely kill a child.

• All items contaminated by nicotine extraction or e-liquid mixing must be cleaned or disposed of accordingly. Treat it as toxic waste - do not allow it to pollute the environment or remain unattended or unsecured at any time. Contact your local authority to find what provisions there are for hazardous waste disposal before you attempt any e-liquid production.

• E-liquid and all substances used in its production must be stored securely away from children and pets and in child-proof bottles.

• Appropriate care must be taken to safeguard against fire-hazards. Many ingredients in e-liquid are highly flammable, as are many substances used in the extraction of nicotine.
Even following these guidelines cannot guarantee your safety.

If you do not have experience in handling dangerous chemicals do not attempt to do any DIY liquid manufacture. Buy your e-liquid supplies instead from one of the many manufacturers that already exist.

Again, E-Cigarette-Forum cannot be held responsible for injury or death caused by following any of the information found on the boards.

ladybug51

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2008
Southern CA, USA
I have NO intention of making my own liquid. The comment: [The handling of pure nicotine and the chemicals needed to create e-liquid must be done only by those qualified to work with dangerous materials], causes me concern. The chemicals needed to create e-liquid? Just how much of it am I inhaling? And where do I go to find out what these chemicals are? I would certainly appreciate any info. on this. How am I to know where I buy my cartridges from are safe?

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
The chemicals needed to create e-liquid? Just how much of it am I inhaling?

I would have thought it highly unlikely that you'd be inhaling any, since the chemicals in question are solvents used in extraction that evaporate very quickly. The principal danger involved in their usage is fire-risk.

George

Feb 15, 2009
www.oksmokey.com
I can't believe that anyone would take the risk of handling nicotine. It is one of the few toxins that can be absorbed through the skin and kill in minutes if it is in its pure form. The sale of nicotine was banned in the UK years ago after numerous gardeners died using it as an insecticide. I sell a great deal of e-liquid and leave it to the professionals to make it. Even if you took all precautions someone may come into contact with it by accident.

BenJammin

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2009
Richmond Virginia, USA
8-o I had no idea nicotine was this dangerous. I smoke a pack a day, and I wonder why smokers don't get nic poisoning? Then again, I wasn't a Chem major. :rolleyes:
There is enough raw nicotine in one cigarette to kill several people. Most of it is destroyed in the burning process. The hit from a cigarette comes from the trace amounts remaining in the smoke. Poisoning you just a little bit at a time. Also, smokers have built up a tolerance over the years of use. Remember your first cigarette? How first it gave you a head rush? And then made you a little queasy? Over time you acclimated to it. It is when you get large concentrations of nicotine within a short period of time that it can prove fatal. Here is an example. Note: I do not now, nor have I ever condoned the hunting practice that I am about to describe. I had a childhood friend who used to hunt rabbits with a poison-dart blowgun. His poison of choice, tea made from one of his dad's Lucky Strikes in a small glass of water. His targets would drop like stones in only a few seconds. It's a wonder he didn't kill himself playing around like that. Nicotine is seriously dangerous stuff and not for the clumsy or careless. If you disrespect it, it will kill you.

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
There is enough raw nicotine in one cigarette to kill several people. Most of it is destroyed in the burning process. The hit from a cigarette comes from the trace amounts remaining in the smoke. Poisoning you just a little bit at a time. Also, smokers have built up a tolerance over the years of use. Remember your first cigarette? How first it gave you a head rush? And then made you a little queasy? Over time you acclimated to it. It is when you get large concentrations of nicotine within a short period of time that it can prove fatal. Here is an example. Note: I do not now, nor have I ever condoned the hunting practice that I am about to describe. I had a childhood friend who used to hunt rabbits with a poison-dart blowgun. His poison of choice, tea made from one of his dad's Lucky Strikes in a small glass of water. His targets would drop like stones in only a few seconds. It's a wonder he didn't kill himself playing around like that. Nicotine is seriously dangerous stuff and not for the clumsy or careless. If you disrespect it, it will kill you.

And to think of how many cigarette butts I've just casually tossed out the window of my car? Or even in the landfills?!?!?!?! I agree - YIKES!

Tweetybird

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Albany, OR
Ok, I understand the ramification of being dangerous/toxic and I sincerely doubt that I’m going to start making my own “liquid/Juice” but I still would like to know how it's made and knowbody has actually said anything.

I understand there are a lot of, shell we say, foolish people that have little self awareness and lack common sense to grasp the gravity of such an undertaking; or simply an appreciation for something beyond their comprehension/ability.

If the omission is due to mods or admins removing content? And if so, what’s the point of the redundant WARNING. Or perhaps It’s simply no one really knows how to make it.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
>>>
There is enough raw nicotine in one cigarette to kill several people.
>>>

It is true that nic is an extremely poisenous substance, however i want to correct you. You cal also always look up any related information on wikpedia etc.

) a cig *usually* contains +/-12mg of nic. Of course, this can vary. (The heavy stuff from holland i used to smoke..i would'nt be surprised it containing 20mg or even 25mg. :) But for an avg cig we can use 12mg

The LD (lethal dose) for a human is roughly 0.88mg/kg body weight. Let's take an average ADULT 75ks/160lbs....making a lethal dosis 66mg for an adult. (lower amounts apply for kids of course).

So...from that point of view its not 100% correct saying that "there is enough nic in one cig to kill SEVERAL people". It has been observed little kids swalling one/two cigarettes..its a bad thing, allright, but they dont die. It gets more serious if they "eat" more than three.

Sidenote: Your body takes in way less nic by smoking than what is actually IN the cig. From what i just read its on avg. 1,6mg-2,0mg "nic in smoke".

However, i dont know yet how this is with ecigs, how much of the nic actually enters the body compared to smoking.

G.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Is it possible to make a liquid to use in the e-cigarette that does not contain nicotine? I think I can get past the nicotine part of it, it is the hand to mouth thing that does me in. Can I use any liquid....I suspect it should be a sterile solution since I would likely enhale it but...would that be OK?

Read through the DIY forum Hanna. There's hundreds of no nic recipes and tips there.

Lu

Grandma Cas

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
Chesham UK
www.womens-words.com
Is it possible to make a liquid to use in the e-cigarette that does not contain nicotine? I think I can get past the nicotine part of it, it is the hand to mouth thing that does me in. Can I use any liquid....I suspect it should be a sterile solution since I would likely enhale it but...would that be OK?

Hanna welcome to the forum, you can buy zero nicotine juice & carts from any of the suppliers. No need to try making your own.

Cas :)

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA

Grandma Cas

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
Chesham UK
www.womens-words.com
I am into learning how to make my own, however I am ordering pre-made until I have more experience. Can anyone help me? I bought some Nhaler Lung Juice. Its great. I am trying to determine if it is a PG VG blend or not.
Second, I bought samplers of VG based VermontVapers flavored, 20mgs. It taste ok, but I really want to "cut" it with a PG based nic juice. I cannot possibly do the math to properly "cut" it from scratch, with pure PG & then highly concentrated nic etc.. I am not there yet- too confusing.

So, I was thinking, just buy a Nic juice, 20 mg or higher, with a tobacco flavor that is PG based, and just "cut" each sampler in half with it in the small 3 ml bottles.

Sound right? I mean, I hate dripping cartridges from this bottle then that. Some say not to "taint" a whole new bottle, but this stuff is too thick and leaves a stench in the house. It needs PG clearly.

Can I just mix the little sampler bottle (VG based) with some new, PG based, pre-made E juice, say in a nice plain tobacco flavor? Im not too concerned about flavor as much as cutting this thick VG with some PG juice.

Does this make any sense to anyone? Suggestions ? The samplers are only 3 ml anyway. I won't use them alone, its too nasty. Flavor is fine, just smells afterwards.

Thanks

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
I am into learning how to make my own, however I am ordering pre-made until I have more experience. Can anyone help me? I bought some Nhaler Lung Juice. Its great. I am trying to determine if it is a PG VG blend or not.
Second, I bought samplers of VG based VermontVapers flavored, 20mgs. It taste ok, but I really want to "cut" it with a PG based nic juice. I cannot possibly do the math to properly "cut" it from scratch, with pure PG & then highly concentrated nic etc.. I am not there yet- too confusing.

So, I was thinking, just buy a Nic juice, 20 mg or higher, with a tobacco flavor that is PG based, and just "cut" each sampler in half with it in the small 3 ml bottles.

Sound right? I mean, I hate dripping cartridges from this bottle then that. Some say not to "taint" a whole new bottle, but this stuff is too thick and leaves a stench in the house. It needs PG clearly.

Can I just mix the little sampler bottle (VG based) with some new, PG based, pre-made E juice, say in a nice plain tobacco flavor? Im not too concerned about flavor as much as cutting this thick VG with some PG juice.

Does this make any sense to anyone? Suggestions ? The samplers are only 3 ml anyway. I won't use them alone, its too nasty. Flavor is fine, just smells afterwards.

Thanks

If you're going to start mixing and cutting you need to figure out the correct amounts to use. Thankfully for us, Scubabatdan came up with a simple to use juice calculator. You it can get the link from this thread:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...e-calculator-added-quantity-calculations.html

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Ok, I understand the ramification of being dangerous/toxic and I sincerely doubt that I’m going to start making my own “liquid/Juice” but I still would like to know how it's made and knowbody has actually said anything.

I understand there are a lot of, shell we say, foolish people that have little self awareness and lack common sense to grasp the gravity of such an undertaking; or simply an appreciation for something beyond their comprehension/ability.

If the omission is due to mods or admins removing content? And if so, what’s the point of the redundant WARNING. Or perhaps It’s simply no one really knows how to make it.

Suppliers of Anhydrous Ethyl Ether

I believe diethyl ether in the market almost always goes about 99+%. ACS grade usually about >99.8% with minuscule amount of stabilizing agent such as BHT. Without stabilizers, you're more likely to form peroxides which will be explosive. Supposedly, in Europe, you can buy it OTC (although not as pure.)

You will find it extremely difficult if not impossible, as a private individual, to buy diethyl ether in most Western countries due to its increasing use in illicit drug manufacture. In most countries the authorities have massively restricted the general public's access to ether. Bona fide institutions such as universities and research institutes plus established fuel manufacturers can still obtain it, but it is highly unlikely the latter will on sell to individuals. Unless you have a contact within the university, research or an industry user, I do not think it likely you will be able to readily obtain ether-at any price.

You could check these threads:

Common Sources of Chemicals Listed by The Society for Amateur Scientists

Sources of Supplies for Citizen Chemist

"I don't know if Artchemicals.com will sell to you without a business license, but they have the smallest quantitities (i.e., 50ml) of ether available that I've seen listed anywhere."

You could make it yourself...

(NOTE: This, like many other chemistry experimentals, can be dangerous. The nature of both Diethyl ether, and Sulfuric acid are potential hazards to your safety. Don't attempt this without the proper safety measures in place! Be ready in the case of fire or toxic spill.)

Get you some 100% Ethanol solution or as close as possible anyways...(Denatured alcohol works fine unless u need super purity), and concentrated Sulfuric acid (at least 90%). Both can be found at your local hardware store or chemical supply house -- Ethanol as denatured alcohol and Sulfuric acid as drain cleaner.

You also need, for this experiment:
1 sealable glass vessel (glass bottle, for instance - preferably clear)
1 vessel for use as an ice-bath.
Ice
Water
Thermometer (optional)

Experimental:
1. Fill the larger vessel with a good amount of ice, and add some water. This is your ice-bath.
2. Place the sealable bottle into the ice-bath.
3. Add an amount of Ethanol into Vessel 1.
4. SLOWLY add drops of Sulfuric acid to Vessel 1. Add a few drops, and seal the container. Shake, repeat. Note that this reaction is exothermic and generates a good amount of heat. This is what the ice-bath is for. The reaction temperature should stay below 34.6C, and MUST stay below 130C -- otherwise Ethylene will be formed, not Diethyl ether. Generally if the acid is dripped in slowly enough, and enough ice-water is present to keep the reaction cool, this is not a problem.

-Make sure that after each addition, the bottle is re-sealed while it is cooling again. The boiling point of Diethyl ether is 34.6C (94.28F), and we don't want to lose our ether to the atmosphere.

5. When the reaction is complete, distill the contents of the cool, sealed vessel to a temperature between 35C and 78.4C (BP of Ethanol) over a spark-free electric hot plate. Or, as a safer alternative one may use hot water to distill the mixture. Utmost care must be taken not to generate any sparks/friction during this distillation - as Diethyl ether is very flammable. Collect the ether from the product vessel.

Your ether should be of high purity, with any traces of other chemicals likely being small amounts of Ethanol - that risk increasing the higher the distillation temp was. Sulfuric acid's boiling point is 290C so it is not likely that any should remain in the final product.

It would likely be hard to separate the Ethanol and Sulfuric acid since Ethanol forms an azeotrope with water at 95% conc. or so, and Sulfuric acid needs a small amount of water to prevent fuming.

One more note: If Denatured alcohol is used, it is possible that a small amount of Di-m-ethyl ether (up to 4%) will be formed as well. However, this substance is a gas at room temperature and thus should evaporate quite readily.

SAFETY NOTES:
1. Have Sodium bicarbonate (Baking soda) on hand in case any Sulfuric acid spills. In the case any spills onto the skin, pour an excess of Sodium bicarbonate on the area immediately, THEN wash the area with water, then soap. Rinse off, and dry thoroughly. Concentrated Sulfuric acid reacts violently with water and that is a reaction you don't want on your skin.

2. Have a fire extinguisher, or at least some water, on hand in the event of a fire (which is very possible in this experiment.)

3. A gas mask or fume hood is recommended but not required. Diethyl ether is not toxic in small amounts but is intoxicating. Sulfuric acid is toxic but is not likely to become a gas during this reaction. Basically the best advice is to not breathe any fumes from a chemical reaction (ever.)

This is the key: never distill to dryness!. That way any peroxides in the pot never get hot enough to explode. Also remember that dry peroxides can be detonated by friction as a localized high temperature is produced that way.

As for keeping your ether safe, and peroxide free, anything with an hydroxide ion can inhibit peroxide formation. NaOH, KOH, CaOH etc. Just throw a bit in the bottom of the bottle, and shake it up real good, then filter.

HERE'S A MORE THOROUGH DISCUSSION OF THE METHOD:

Ether is a very useful organic solvent that has fallen into ill repute because of its use by drug dealers. It is a watched chemical by the DEA, purchasing large quantities will put you on The List. Ether is an explosively flammable liquid that will easily fill a room with fumes just waiting to be ignited by the slightest heat, it ignites over 180 °C. Keep containers of ether tightly closed and away from all flame sources. Ether used to be an anesthetic back in the days, inhaling the fumes will cause unconsciousness, but not much damage if you get to fresh air. Ether can also form an explosive peroxide if it is old or exposed to air. In short, keep ether away from all flame, in a well ventilated area, and tightly sealed in its container. You might think that ether and water do not mix, wrong, ether can hold up to 1.2% water. The only OTC source of ether is in starting fluid for cars, among other contaminants, from which it can be distilled. Ether can easily be prepared by reacting ethyl alcohol with sulfuric acid.

Synthesis: Assemble the necessary equipment for fractional distillation, adding in a Clasien adapter. Place the fractionating column on the side arm of the Clasien, and a 2-holed rubber stopper in the straight arm. In the first hole, place a thermometer that extends to near the bottom of the reaction flask. In the second hole, place a length of glass tubing that extends to near the bottom and sticks up about an inch. Place a short length of rubber tubing on the glass tubing and connect it to an addition funnel. The rubber tubing is to slightly offset the funnel which would get in the way of the thermometer. If using a 500-mL reaction flask, add 146 mL of anhydrous ethyl alcohol. You can use 95% alcohol but the efficiency of the reaction will suffer because of the water. Slowly add 133 mL of anhydrous sulfuric acid, again you can use less than 100%, but the more water there is the worse the reaction will proceed. Place a magnetic spin bar in the flask and connect it to the rest of the apparatus. Using a hotplate or oil bath, no flame, heat the reaction flask, while stirring, to between 130-140 °C and hold it at that temperature. Be sure not to go in excess of 150 °C as ethylene gas will be produced. Once some distillate starts to come over, slowly add an additional 146 mL of ethyl alcohol from the addition funnel at the same rate as is collected from the distillation. That should be about a drop or two a second. The total distillation time should be over 2 hours. After the distillation is over, pour the distillate from the receiver flask to a large beaker and add 10% sodium hydroxide solution until the pH is neutral. Pour this mixture into a seperatory funnel and allow the lighter ether layer to float on top. Remove the heavier water layer and wash the remaining ether by shaking twice with a volume of saturated salt water equal to the volume of ether. Allow the last wash to sit for several minutes to insure complete separation then remove the water layer. Put the ether in a Florence flask and add 15 g of calcium chloride for every 100 mL of ether, stir this for 2 hours with a magnetic stirrer. Finally, do a simple distillation to remove the now anhydrous ether from the calcium chloride.

-----------------------------

OTC Ether

For those who don't care to synthesize ether, there is a readily available source in the automotive section of your local department store. Most people know it as starting fluid. The main component is diethyl ether. The current leading K-mart brand contains heptane(bp 98°), dimethyl propyl methane (2-methyl pentane, bp 60°), and diethyl methyl methane (3-methyl pentane, bp 63°) as added ingredients. The other ingredients all boil significantly higher than ether so the ether can be removed by distillation. To collect the ether for distillation, spray the contents of the can into a flask that is nestled in crushed ice (in a well ventilated area or outside). Once can use one of the "straws" that comes with a can of WD-40 to spray the starting fluid contents well into the flask. Distill the liquid collecting the portion boiling up to 35°C.

Here's one person's report of distilling ether from starter fluid:

I distilled some ether from starting fluid today, with good results. Two cans were emptied into a 1 L Erlenmeyer flask, coming to a volume of around 800-900 mL. The flask was sealed with a rubber stopper, and the rubber stopper was linked by plastic hose to a condenser. The condenser consisted of a copper coil inside a 3" diameter piece of PVC pipe filled with regular ice. I didn't feel like buying 5 pounds of dry ice for $5, when the same $5 bought me 35 pounds of regular ice. I didn't use it all however, only about 10 pounds or so for both cooling the receiving flask and the condenser. The flask was heated on an oil bath at 50-60 C for 4 hours at which point bubbles stopped forming. 150-200 mL of distillate was obtained, which made me a little dizzy when I caught a whiff. The operation appears to be a success. 200 mL of ether for a grand total of $2.50 isn't bad! I will proceed to dry it with calcium chloride later, but even now it appears to be quite pure.

Additional recommendations:

Add a piece of copper wire to the flask where you store the ether in, this prevents peroxide formation. This does not destroy already formed peroxides though. To destroy peroxides re-distill but add a dash of ferrous sulfate before starting the distillation.
So you have now 200ml of ether. A easy way to get it pure is to collect about 10ml at start of the distillation change receiving flask, collect about 150ml and change back again. The 150ml "middle fraction" resembles the pure stuff.
Usual ice/water mixture is absolutely ok for condensing ether. Don't forget to cool your receiving vessel and put the copper wire in from start.
Dry your product with lots of NaOH - this takes some weeks (yes weeks) but is the only way to get the ether dry.
Store in a dark (brown) bottle away from air and at a cool place.

Last edited:

canadianbandit

Jan 23, 2010
Courtice
can i mix un nic liquid with nic ejuice ,
iam from canada and here they dont sell ejuices with nic in them there are nic free. well that what i though anyways...
but i found a site now after order my other liquid free of nic:(
and it has ejucies that cantain nic in them... how do i mix the to
just add a few drop of the ejuice? with the un nic liquid is it safe?
plz inform
ty

HK45

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
USA
can i mix un nic liquid with nic ejuice ,
iam from canada and here they dont sell ejuices with nic in them there are nic free. well that what i though anyways...
but i found a site now after order my other liquid free of nic:(
and it has ejucies that cantain nic in them... how do i mix the to
just add a few drop of the ejuice? with the un nic liquid is it safe?
plz inform
ty

Hi canadianbandit,

I just read your recent request and then the other post in this thread. Although mixing your own fluid should be handled with the proper respect for the nicotine, this thread has highly exagerrated the danger involved. Perhaps because they are old posts? Just go to the "tips and tricks" part of the forum and it has a DIY e-liguid section which includes recipes, auto calculators, and all the information you want.
I read your posts asking if it was safe to mix your no nic liquid with a liquid with nic. The short answer is YES! All it will do is dilute the strength of your nic liquid. Maybe so much that it won't be much stronger than your zero nic.
If you decide to try making it yourself it isn't a very complicated, dangerous procedure. All of the ingredients are readily available, as you will see, if you go to the forum section I recommended. There are really only three or four ingredients and you don't have to be a chemist and cook and filter and ice anything. I don't know what the prior thread to yours was talking about. It sounded like illegal .... lab stuff to me.
Anyway, sites such as Totally Wicked and others, even have starter kits with everything you need. Most of which you can buy at your local grocery or pharmacy.
The process is really just mixing an unflavored nic juice (your choice of strength), propylene glycol (food grade at your grocery), maybe vegetable glycerin (same sources as PG), and flavoring (baking section of your grocer if you like sweet. LorAnne's seems to be popular). All of this and more is conveniently available online from suppliers on this site.
The only difficult part is the measurements and scubadan graciously provided a e-liquid calculator so we don't have to do the math. That's it. Either use a recipe on the forum or experiment a little and come up with your own recipe.
I hope this long-winded post helped. Just remember to respect the nic fluid, wash it off right away if you happen to get it on your skin, as it will absorb. Wear latex or some other type of gloves if you want. Otherwise, don't be afraid and try to have fun. :D

P.S. The mods don't delete posts like you asked about. Most people here are glad to help but you have to go to the right section. Happy vaping!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread