Ready for a really stupid ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
Yo & Wicked - Thanks so much for your answers. That's what made sense to me. I started using cartos in the past few weeks, have always used the ego t & then c, so this is my first experience w/cartos. I've just soaked them in hot water & then Everclear - can I just let them dry & try them OR do I just pitch them. I really like these much more then the t or the c & thought this is great not only to really enjoy the taste but the cost factor....so here I am trying to save $1.50...human nature I suppose. Thanks again.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: NOT recommended

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
Hi, moishesmom --

No, it's not silly trying to save $1.50, not when you multiply that $1.50 by all the cartos you can go through in a short time. Besides, it's possible the FDA will ban such devices, should they invoke that "deeming" clause and we all have to learn to clean these things.
Thank you - you're awesome! I already have the Everclear - spent $20 & then realized I could have bought a load of cartos for that kind of money; they're soaking in it right now. I also have an ultra sonic - didn't even think of putting the Everclear in that. Do you think that the 91% isopropyl alcohol works better? I've got some in my medicine cab. Lastly...how long do you let them dry & how can you test them w/o using or losing a ton of juice?

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
Instead of a turkey baster, run down to Wal-Mart and get one of these in the pharmacy. They work a lot better and they cost less than $2.00.

Thanks Mickey....I'm already the proud owner of one of these - used it trying to save my 'c' heads - baking soda & vinegar on those. My success rate wasn't to high & I won't even mention the mess, that's one of the reasons I started w/cartos.

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
You can dry burn attys but not cartos. You'll end up burning the filler in them and you'll never get that out. As far as cleaning them, I'd suggest using cheap Vodka as opposed to Iso alcohol...I wouldn't want to vape Iso alcohol. And no, there are no stupid questions, just stupid actions brought on by not asking questions first!

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
You can dry burn attys but not cartos. You'll end up burning the filler in them and you'll never get that out. As far as cleaning them, I'd suggest using cheap Vodka as opposed to Iso alcohol...I wouldn't want to vape Iso alcohol. And no, there are no stupid questions, just stupid actions brought on by not asking questions first!
Kay...You're great...funny I was so excited finding these & thinking how terrific to just use & toss since they're so much less cost wise than the attys & heads...and here I am - Waste not,want not. Thanks for the input.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
Thanks Mickey....I'm already the proud owner of one of these - used it trying to save my 'c' heads - baking soda & vinegar on those. My success rate wasn't to high & I won't even mention the mess, that's one of the reasons I started w/cartos.

I do a couple dry burns with atties and use that to pull boiling distilled water from the microwave through them. Makes them fresh and clean. :)

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Filler cartos can't be dry burned, you'll scorch the filler. CE2s can be dry burned just like an atty, if you're looking to save money and for them to last that's what I'd suggest. I've got some that have lasted me 4 months with regular cleaning and dry burns, the wick usually falls off before the atty pops but not everybody likes those.

Various cleaning methods are used to try and get some extra life out of filler cartos including boiling in water among what's already been posted, I've never had success with any of them.

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
I do a couple dry burns with atties and use that to pull boiling distilled water from the microwave through them. Makes them fresh and clean. :)
Hi Mickey - I was using that combo on the 'c' heads; it worked on a few but not enough of them. At this point, I'm giving up on the heads - fell in love w/cartos. I never wanted to use cartos, it seemed that so many people were gripping about burning filler, etc. I was sent a sample carto from a vendor & I didn't even know what the heck it was - finally figured it out, filled it & that was it - love at first drag. Funny thing tho, I had to find out from someone else that the holes around the bottom meant that it was supposed to go into a tank (which I didn't own). Duh!! I thought it was great w/o a tank....long learning curve & still so much to learn.

Wickedwench

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2012
Toledo
My rules for myself are: I do not clean my cartos with anything I would not swallow. Everclear is expensive, but I think cheap rotgut vodka works just as well. Rubbing alcohol would blind you or kill you, so I wont take the chance of vaping any.
Boiling water is very effective, but I cook, so I get prissy about safety. I load all my used cartos, minus any drip tips or condoms, into a 3 quart saucepan. I fill it halfway with water, even if I'm only cleaning two or three. It goes on the stove on high until it gets to a rolling boil (like you'd want to cook pasta). I let it boil like that for 15 minutes and you won't believe the smell! All those vape flavors together reminds me of suicide sodas when I was a kid!
I drain the water by catching the cartos with a metal colander. DO NOT TOUCH CARTOS! HOT HOT HOT! The cartos go back in the pan, this time filling halfway with hot tap water to not shock the cartos. Back on the stove, rolling boil, 15 minutes, around and around until the water stops smelling and doesn't change color. I then spread the drained cartos on a paper towel covered cookie sheet for half an hour or until cool enough to put to my mouth to blow the rest of the water out. They will still take a day or so to airdry. You can pull booze through them if you need them quickly (the alcohol evaporates faster than water), but remember that alcohol in vape makes a stronger throat hit. Brace yourself for it or be sure you got it all out!

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
I've tried cleaning cartos with hot water, but it takes them forever to dry. That's why I've gone to Vodka, it evaporates alot quicker. I've just invested in a cheapo ultrasonic jewerly cleaner and have started using that...seems to be working very well for me so far. If you got a punched carto, sounds like they were trying to tell you something...;)

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
Wicked & Kay....Thanks so much for taking your time w/me. I've got the ones I cleaned yesterday, drying right now. Those were basically hot water, Everclear & hot water a few more times. I'll definitely try both methods you suggested. I have the ultasonic, but I'll buy a cheapo saucepan just for this project (I'm kinda prissy also & the thought of cooking cartos in the same pot as food......especially since you described the lovely aroma) Hmmmm - I don't think you can buy a cheapie anything these days, I'll just hit my daughter up for the pan. Question...do you have a good success rate on reusing them?

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
I personally didn't have a very good success rate at cleaning them with hot water, I think I probably didn't let them dry completely before using again.:oops: Which is why I've changed to the vodka and ultrasonic method. I'm going to be putting one of these in tomorrow, I'll try to report back to you whether it worked well or not.

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
I personally didn't have a very good success rate at cleaning them with hot water, I think I probably didn't let them dry completely before using again.:oops: Which is why I've changed to the vodka and ultrasonic method. I'm going to be putting one of these in tomorrow, I'll try to report back to you whether it worked well or not.

I'd really appreciate knowing how well it works for you. So, if I understand correctly, you're telling me that the ones I cleaned yesterday aren't going to be 'like new' LOL.:unsure:

Sev00

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2012
Texas
Ready for this one...Can you do a dry burn on a carto? Logic tells me NO but my logic has been known to fail me before. :unsure:

I will qualify this by saying I am no expert. I got in a hurry last week and decided to do some dry burns on my SmokeTech Cartos I had cleaned. This was to get them to finish drying faster. Of the 2, one poped and the other is muted. I did an autopsy on the broken one, and the coil was broken near the solder joint. Plus the filler was burnt looking. Now I have never opened a used one that I didn't pop, so that black burnt may or may not be normal.

I use smoktech dual coil cartos for the SBFT. I found them punched and tank ready at Smokey Vapor for a very good price. Plus free shipping over 10 bucks. So I may just forget the cleaning for that price.

Hope this may help,

Sev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread