Ready to make my first purchase, just a couple of final questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada
Hey everyone! So after doing 2-3 days of research and asking a bunch of questions here, I've decided on my first order. I'm going to go with a $50 eGo Starter kit from canvape.com.

So here are the questions I'm still stuck on. If I have different flavours of e-liquid, do I have to use a different clearomizer when I switch to avoid "mixing" flavours? I know that everyone says that e-cigs are less expensive to use and maintain than analogues (I've come to love that term over the last few days BTW), but realistically how much should I expect to spend (taking e-liquid out of the equation) on atomizers/tanks?

Finally, my last question is about how much e-liquid I should order up front. To make it perfectly clear, I smoke about a pack and a half a day of cigarettes, and I want to give them up completely and just transition to vaping. I know from what others said that it probably won't happen right away, but I should eventually be able to ween myself off the analogues completely. I don't want to run the risk of running out of e-liquid, thereby sending me straight back to analogues. So how long should I expect a 30ml bottle of 18mg strength e-liquid to last? Also, how often will I have to refill the tanks (ie. if I'm going out for a couple of hours, will I have to carry around an extra spare full tank or two with me all the time)? I guess another part of that would be how long will those batteries last off a full charge? Is it like cell phone batteries where they say they last 12 hours but really last 5? I know this all depends on how often I use the device, but even a ballpark figure would be nice because right now I don't know if 30ml lasts a day or a year :).

Thanks a million for all the help you've all given over the last few days - it's really appreciated. When I did a google search for "electronic cigarette" the other day I never expected it to all be so complicated. Without a place like this to ask questions, a lot of noobs would probably give up right away (or get ripped off).

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
A better deal here but it's your choice- $49.95.00
eGo Vision Stardust & Extreme Vision Custom Kit 1100mAh Black or Silver
Atomizers with cartridges are prone to leakage and are the old delivery system.
Finally, my last question is about how much e-liquid I should order up front
Figure on about 30 ml per week.
Also, how often will I have to refill the tanks
Usually go through about minimum3, maximum 5 per day
I guess another part of that would be how long will those batteries last off a full charge?
100 mah= 1 hr normal vaping before recharge.
First, how long does an atomizer last? I know they have to be replaced, but does the kit include 5 because they wear out quickly?
It all depends on the quality of the atty. They do need to be cleaned out when they get gunked up with juice.

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada
Thanks for the quick reply!

You said that atomizers /w cartridges are more prone to leaking. What newer ones would you recommend? Something like those Stardust ones? I was looking at a kit with those after seeing a favourable youtube review, but I want something a little more...discreet for when I'm out and about (ie. no visible liquid sloshing around in a tank).

Johny Ringo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Las Vegas
Only a couple of weeks ahead of you.

I would say it depends on your level of commitment to this.

When I started two weeks ago I wasn't sure I was going to stick with it and so I grabbed a kit very similar to the one you are getting. Two days later I bought a twist and now a week and a half later I bought a Vmax. Wish I just started with the Vmax.

The real key for me was finding a juice I liked. I am lucky and theres a pretty decent Juice vendor here in town that i could just walk into and sample away. They happened to have a juice I just loved and as soon as I tasted it I knew I would never smoke another cigarette.

Unfortunately that came after I bought the kit :p

Since then it has been all about improving the performance I was getting out of my setup. Wich entailed trying different clearomizers and tanks and once I found those that I liked it was about trying to find the right voltage to vape at with them. I found the twist while a great entry device was not really consistent. Sometimes it would be great others just ok but it was never consistent and I wanted that.

So today I went out and got a Vmax and the difference is considerable. I think finally I have the setup that works for me. It cost me a pretty penny to get there though.

If I was to start over today. I would start with a Vmax and an extra set of batteries and a charger and 4 Vivi novas or mini Vivi novas. As thats where I have landed at least for now.

Having said that if you aren't sure you will stick with it that kit sounds like a great entry point.

I would not buy large bottles of juice until you find ones you like a lot. I would go with sample packs and run through them till you find one or two flavors you really like then buy some large bottles.

I have found that I like switching back and forth between flavors.

Also the Vivi nova tanks seem to last me all day and then some on a fill so I fill them up in the morning and i dont have to mess with them all day.

Whatever you chose to do I wish you the best of luck! It has been unbelievable for me I put my cigs down immediately when i found that first juice I liked and I havent looked back since.

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada
I would not buy large bottles of juice until you find ones you like a lot. I would go with sample packs and run through them till you find one or two flavors you really like then buy some large bottles.

That's what I'm thinking about doing. I want to start with just tobacco flavours, but I want to try to find one that I like so I'll probably order a few different small ones. What's your opinion of PG vs VG?

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Yes do a google search "Ego C leaking and you'll get plenty of hits. You could use cartomizers:
Different delivery systems:
atomizer/ atty- an element on to which 3-4 drops of juice is dripped
cartridge/ cart- a container with sponge (filled with juice) that is used with the atty- juice drips on to atty from cart and is vaporized
cartomizer/ carto- metal tube with stuffing and element.
carto+tank- a carto with a hole punched in it. Carto is than placed in a glass, metal or plastic tank which is filled with juice- juice saturates carto by way of hole in carto.
Clearomizer- a plastic or metal tank with a wick and element. Contains NO stuffing.

The rebuildable clearos hold a small amount of juice and are really not that noticeable. Rebuildbale has replacement head (coil and wick) when old head dies just unscrew old head and screw in new head. I would recommend the Vivi Nova.
Vivi Nova 2.5 super secret back door edition + replacement parts Long Wick SR now available.
Buy 2.4 ohms heads.

Cartomizers Buy 2.0 ohm
Boge XL 45mm Stainless Steel Cartomizers Standard(2.0 or 3.0ohm) 5 pack
Gotta go for supper
Request a Cdn Vendors list here:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...w-nic-supplier-list-via-pm-only-part-2-a.html

Thanks for the quick reply!

You said that atomizers /w cartridges are more prone to leaking. What newer ones would you recommend? Something like those Stardust ones? I was looking at a kit with those after seeing a favourable youtube review, but I want something a little more...discreet for when I'm out and about (ie. no visible liquid sloshing around in a tank).

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Juice Components
Flavoring usually about 15%
PG enhances flavor, TH and lung hit- water like
VG= vapor and can mute flavor- thick
Nicotine- TH, lung hit and our need for nicotine. The MOST important ingredient in regards to TH and lung hit.
Standards in the industry are 80/ 20 or 70/ 30 PG/ VG. I vape 70/ 30 PG/ VG.

For sure going for dinner :D

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada
Yes do a google search "Ego C leaking and you'll get plenty of hits. You could use cartomizers:
Different delivery systems:
atomizer/ atty- an element on to which 3-4 drops of juice is dripped
cartridge/ cart- a container with sponge (filled with juice) that is used with the atty- juice drips on to atty from cart and is vaporized
cartomizer/ carto- metal tube with stuffing and element.
carto+tank- a carto with a hole punched in it. Carto is than placed in a glass, metal or plastic tank which is filled with juice- juice saturates carto by way of hole in carto.
Clearomizer- a plastic or metal tank with a wick and element. Contains NO stuffing.

That is super helpful - I didn't know what an atty was until right now, and was struggling to figure out what the difference between a cartomizer and a carto+tank combo was. For some reason, I don't like the idea of stuffing/sponges. It just seems like it would be harder to know when to fill it, and easier to over/under fill it. I think for me a clearomizer would be best to start with just so I can see visually what's going on. I said before that I didn't want something like a Stardust, but in the end I want whatever is going to be easiest/best for me to start out with. Worse case scenario I could wrap some electrical tape around it or something LOL.

BTW, is the Stardust what is considered a clearomizer? I'm pretty sure after reading your reply that it is, but confirmation would be nice :)

drsmith30

Aug 1, 2012
Humboldt
Tobacco flavors never taste like analogs. I searched for tobacco but couldn't find a good one finally found I love tin box mint and atomic cinnacide from tastyvapor.us I would suggest buying a good mod because you will be more likely to stay with it. I started with a provari kit and it was a great choice. Expensive but not compared to a month or 2 of analogs. I can say I haven't had an analog since I got my provari.

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada
Yeah, the site that I was looking at for e-liquids was canadaejuice.com (I like that site, they have lots of variety, the prices seems OK compared to some other sites, ship in Canada, and you can pay via Interac) and they recommend a 70/30 PG/VG mix on the drop down, so that's what I was going to order. As I mentioned, I was going to start with the 18mg nicotine since I'm a pack-a-day smoker, but I might order one 24mg and one 6mg and mix them if I don't find it right...

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
That's what I'm thinking about doing. I want to start with just tobacco flavours, but I want to try to find one that I like so I'll probably order a few different small ones. What's your opinion of PG vs VG?

If you like Marlboro Lights try Heathers Heavenly Vapes Dark Horse.

Apptiger

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
West Central Florida
Hey everyone! So after doing 2-3 days of research and asking a bunch of questions here, I've decided on my first order. I'm going to go with a $80 Ego C Starter kit from cdnvapor.ca that includes: 5 x Changable Atomizers, 2 x 650mAH manual batteries, 2 x atomizer cones, 5 x tank cartridges, along with the chargers and stuff.

So here are the questions I'm still stuck on. First, how long does an atomizer last? I know they have to be replaced, but does the kit include 5 because they wear out quickly? Also, if I have different flavours of e-liquid, do I have to use a different atomizer when I switch to avoid "mixing" flavours? Second, same with the tank cartridges, how long does one last? I know that everyone says that e-cigs are less expensive to use and maintain than analogues (I've come to love that term over the last few days BTW), but realistically how much should I expect to spend (taking e-liquid out of the equation) on atomizers/tanks?

Finally, my last question is about how much e-liquid I should order up front. To make it perfectly clear, I smoke about a pack and a half a day of cigarettes, and I want to give them up completely and just transition to vaping. I know from what others said that it probably won't happen right away, but I should eventually be able to ween myself off the analogues completely. I don't want to run the risk of running out of e-liquid, thereby sending me straight back to analogues. So how long should I expect a 30ml bottle of 18mg strength e-liquid to last? Also, how often will I have to refill the tanks (ie. if I'm going out for a couple of hours, will I have to carry around an extra spare full tank or two with me all the time)? I guess another part of that would be how long will those batteries last off a full charge? It says 800 puffs, but are they like cell phone batteries that say they last 12 hours but really last 5? I know this all depends on how often I use the device, but even a ballpark figure would be nice because right now I don't know if 30ml lasts a day or a year :).

Thanks a million for all the help you've all given over the last few days - it's really appreciated. When I did a google search for "electronic cigarette" the other day I never expected it to all be so complicated. Without a place like this to ask questions, a lot of noobs would probably give up right away (or get ripped off).

That sounds like the kit I started with. It worked good for me. If you can, I would recommend trying to get a couple of Kanger T2 Clearomizers or maybe a Vivi Nova with it. Those cart/tanks tend to leak and might get you frustrated.
Here is a tip that worked for me. Haven't had a leaker in a while. Don't take the cap off for filling. Use the atomizer tip to punch the hole out and get a syringe for filling. Got to your local pharmacy and ask for the heaviest gauge they have. Should be an 18-21 and should cost you about 50 cents. Also make sure the cart is all the way down. Don't draw too hard and push the button just before drawing and let it go just after you stop. I tihnk it keeps the atty from getting overwhlemed and the excess leaking out of the bottom.
A 30 ml botle of juice should last a bit.I use about 2ml a day. 3 on weekends. Might try a couple of smaller bottles to sample. Finding a juice that works for you could take a bit. Just be prepared to order more and or different pretty quickly. If you smoked a full flavor like a Marlboro red probably should go with a 24ml nic level, If you smoked lights a 12-18 level probably do the trick.
The batts lasted me a day on a single charge at first. Now I go through about a batt and a half a day. I was a pack and 1/3 a day.
On the atmomizer life. I have only had one fail and I took it apart. I usualy changed mine out after about a month, they just sarted producing less flavor. Geuine Joyetech on the brand. Need to dry burn them according to the manual and they seem to last a long time.
Hope this was helpful and good luck. Toss those stinkys.

Edit- always a good idea to have extras with you, batts and juice. Especially until you are comfortably clear of the stinkys. I used to carry a Blu dispoable around with me. Can get them at Walgreens if you have one near. Good emergency standby. At least unitl you get comfortable and enough gear.

Last edited:

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada
The thing is, I want something that's going to be user-friendly for a noob, fairly discreet for when I'm out-and-about, and not so expensive that if I don't stick with it I'm going to regret even trying. I'd rather start with something basic, and if I stick with it look into buying myself something nice as a reward for staying away from analogues at some point down the road.

Tobacco flavors never taste like analogs. I searched for tobacco but couldn't find a good one finally found I love tin box mint and atomic cinnacide from tastyvapor.us I would suggest buying a good mod because you will be more likely to stay with it. I started with a provari kit and it was a great choice. Expensive but not compared to a month or 2 of analogs. I can say I haven't had an analog since I got my provari.

JUDGMENT AFFIRMED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2012
BELLE VERNON PA.
Hi rob79,
I started with a Joyetech ego-c on june 19th.....and you are aware that this is made by "bauway"? I used that steady for 4 weeks and was able to stop smoking totally. I smoked almost 2 packs aday for 40 years. I would allow 4ml aday to be safe. I haven't really burnt an atomizer out yet becuase when it needed cleaned, i would put a new one in. Starting my 5th week of vaping, i started to use the Vision clearomizer by Visionecigar, and have been using it the most. The ego-c is a cool vape, and the clearomizer is a warmer vape. I still go to the ego-c for a change and ive had no problems with it at all. The 650mah batteries will not last all day, as if your like me, you will be puffing alot at the beginning. I actually hung it around my neck with a chums eyeglass retainer. You really don't have to change tanks when you change flavors. My ego-c came with prepunched holes in the tanks and though i only used 2 in 4 wks, im surprised how durable they appear to be,and no leaks. If i missed something , just ask. Good luck.

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada
Hi rob79,
I started with a Joyetech ego-c on june 19th.....and you are aware that this is made by "bauway"? I used that steady for 4 weeks and was able to stop smoking totally. I smoked almost 2 packs aday for 40 years. I would allow 4ml aday to be safe. I haven't really burnt an atomizer out yet becuase when it needed cleaned, i would put a new one in. Starting my 5th week of vaping, i started to use the Vision clearomizer by Visionecigar, and have been using it the most. The ego-c is a cool vape, and the clearomizer is a warmer vape. I still go to the ego-c for a change and ive had no problems with it at all. The 650mah batteries will not last all day, as if your like me, you will be puffing alot at the beginning. I actually hung it around my neck with a chums eyeglass retainer. You really don't have to change tanks when you change flavors. My ego-c came with prepunched holes in the tanks and though i only used 2 in 4 wks, im surprised how durable they appear to be,and no leaks. If i missed something , just ask. Good luck.

Congrats on kicking the analogues! Stories like you have me looking forward to this little experiment and definitely make me feel confident that I can make the transition. I'm not sure about the differences between Joyetech and Bauway, I just assumed that "eGo was eGo", guess I was wrong there. Not to be rude, but I've pretty much just got to stick with one decision at this point since every time I bring it up I get 10 different people telling me to buy 10 different things LOL. It seems like people who vape are really particular about their setup :).

nebulas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Earth
Worse case scenario I could wrap some electrical tape around it or something LOL.

roling-on-the-floor-laughing.gif

I have a feeling your gonna be good at your new hobby!
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread