Ready to quit analogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychon

Sep 25, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi guys and gals, Psychon here and as my title says I want to quit analogs. However, with something as big as my first e-cig purchase (in my eyes) I want to make sure I'm getting the right product for me. So I've decided to ask you fine ladies and gents for some advice. Hopefully I'll get around to actually being a functioning member of this community, but I gotta get my e-cig first.

So here are my questions, these are in regard to e-liquid as I only have one friend with an e-cig so far and his cartridges are pre-filled.

1. Is e-liquid hard to refill in cartridges? Is it messy or difficult the first time around?

2. Is there a surefire way to avoid leakage? Are pre-filled cartridges more reliable in this case?

I've been thinking of something like the m401 model. So far its a toss-up between LiteCigUSA and ModernVapor (I love the sidesho's design heh)
However, functionality matters more that aesthtic appeal. My concern now, is the reports I've read about an antifreeze component in the Smoking Everywhere and njoy products. Both of which I'm avoiding like the plague. I doubt anyone knows for sure, but do LiteCig or Modern Vapor have any affiliation with either company?

If anyone wants to make recommendations I'll gladly take them. If it helps at all here's a rundown of my smoking habits and brands if it helps at all.

-Smoker for 3 years (yeah, short I know)
-Smoke about a pack a day (when I'm out and about. Indoors, its about half a pack at most)
-Marlboro Reds, Menthols, Lights, Blend 54 and Virginia Blend
-Camel Wides, Crush, and Menthol
-Newport, Kool, and Salem Black Label (discontinued)

For the most part I'm doing this for my fiancee, but she's worried that I may trade one health problem for another down the line, especially with that whole antifreeze element. So I ask of you wise and knowledgeable e-cig sages, can you guide me toward the answers I seek? Thanks in advance!

://Psychon

Sorry for the long post, I'm trying to cover all the bases here.
(Oh and to the mods, if this is in the wrong place, sorry.)

PhoenixRising

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2009
Concord, NC USA
I can't answer all of your questions, but I will give it a shot. I am sure others will be along to add their own opinions.

First, I need to address the antifreeze question. E-liquids do not contain antifreeze, they contain propylene glycol. While antifreeze does contain propylene glycol, this ingredient is just an ingredient - it is a humectant which is included in tons of things, including the cigarettes you currently smoke (not to mention toothpaste, mouthwash, cookies, etc. the list goes on and on). Have a look in your medicine cabinet and at the ingredients list on food in your pantry, I think you will be surprised. Propylene glycol is the same ingredient used to create fog at concerts and clubs. All juices (not just the two companies you mentioned) are made with either Propylene Glycol (most common) or vegetable glycerin (less common). If the juice does not say VG it is a safe bet that it is PG.

Now as to e-liquid. Yes it can be messy, especially as you first get started. Depending on flavors, types, company specific recipes, the consistency can vary dramatically. You have to get used to how quickly juices run, how much to use in each cart, how to drip, how not to overfill and under fill - definitely a learning curve, but it is a fun one. Most questions you have are probably answered here and there are some great stickies across the forum for getting the most out of refilling and cart materials. Prefilled can be easier but it is also more expensive and there are less choices in flavor.

To my knowledge, especially in the beginning leaking or sucking up juice, can happen with any cart or any device. You learn, you adjust, you wash your hands, rinse your mouth and remember the mistake you made.

The two companies you mentioned are not related to the Njoy or SE as far as I know, but most vendors are supplied by a few companies in china, just re-branded as their own.
I don't have any words of wisdom about the 401 since it is one of the very few models that I have not tried/owned. You did ask for other recommendations so I am going to give you my standard response to that.

I love the KR808/Vapor King. It is a two piece rather than three piece model. The atomizer is actually inside the cart with the juice and the intent is that you would toss the whole "cartomizer" when the juice is gone. Many of us refill them despite this, and I have personally found that refilling cartomizers is actually easier and more foolproof than refilling carts. I also don't have any leakage issues at all. I do occasionally suck in some juice but that can always be tracked back to an overzealous refilling session on my part and has never happened with the original cartomizers. As a side note, overfilling any model will have the same result, however in other models you also risk flooding the atomizer, and you don't have that same challenge with cartomizers due to their construction.

I recommend this model because it is easy to use, is very low maintenance and if you find yourself being a juice hopper (wanting to trade flavors throughout the day) you can just pop off the current cart and pop on a new one. You can trade and rotate as often as you like without worrying about residual flavor on your atty, since by design the cartomizer takes its atty with it! I also recommend this model because the two primary retailers of it (Vapor4Life and Nhaler) are both amazing companies run by people who seem to truly care about quality, customer satisfaction, and standing behind their products. They are both registered vendors here and have sub-forums you can read over with videos, reviews, and customer feedback. I highly encourage you to at least check out these forums before making your final decisions.

No matter what you decide to do, e-cigs are pretty amazing devices and for me, they have made a ton of difference in how I feel (and how I smell for that matter).

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
1. Is e-liquid hard to refill in cartridges? Is it messy or difficult the first time around?
It is a piece of cake to refill cartridges.
I imagine that is what 90% of us do.

2. Is there a surefire way to avoid leakage? Are pre-filled cartridges more reliable in this case?
Leakage depends on many factors.
My advice is to just not worry about it, it's not a big deal and you'll figure it out as you go.

If you're worried about getting the juice on yourself, don't be.
Some people here actually just lick it right off.

I used to wash my hands at first, now I don't even bother.

My concern now, is the reports I've read about an antifreeze component in the Smoking Everywhere and NJOY products.
The "antifreeze" component was approximately 1% diethylene glycol found in one of the Smoking Everywhere cartridges out of the 19 cartridges that were tested. No diethylene glycol was found in any of the NJoy cartridges.

From my readings on the subject, this amount is meaningless and harmless.
Granted, it should not be there though.

Someone figured out that you would need to smoke thousands of cartridges in one day to get a lethal dose with that low of a concentration that was found in that one cartridge out of the 19 tested.

I have also heard that it is possibly about the same amount as found in a cigarette.
And yes, diethylene glycol is in cigarettes.

Use the Search function for posts containing the words "diethylene glycol" for more information.

Psychon

Sep 25, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks Deadcat, I'm a little less nervous about it now. :D

I gave Tony at ModernVapor a call since he's based out of Chicago and I think I'm gonna go with the sidesho. Its a bit out of my price range atm but I can't argue with the fact that he's a short bus ride away and might even hook me up with some discounts if I can get him more business here in the city. Guess its time to break out my clubbin' clothes again. Haha.

I did a lot more research on the antifreeze element and shared my findings with my fiancee, she's still a little wary, but like Deadcat said, theres worse in analogs as it is.

Thanks again for the advice guys.

JenJen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Sunny Arizona
Thanks Deadcat, I'm a little less nervous about it now. :D

I gave Tony at ModernVapor a call since he's based out of Chicago and I think I'm gonna go with the sidesho. Its a bit out of my price range atm but I can't argue with the fact that he's a short bus ride away and might even hook me up with some discounts if I can get him more business here in the city. Guess its time to break out my clubbin' clothes again. Haha.

I did a lot more research on the antifreeze element and shared my findings with my fiancee, she's still a little wary, but like Deadcat said, theres worse in analogs as it is.

Thanks again for the advice guys.

I am also loving my VaporKing from Vapor4Life but anything that gets us off the analogs is a good thing! Enjoy and welcome to vaping! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread