Ready to start building, just need to know where to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who_Dey_1991

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2016
Ohio
I'm ready to start building coils now. There's a plethora of information on YouTube to show me how, but what I need help with now is the starting point.

I'm not a dropper, don't think I will be for the foreseeable future, so I'm ruling out RDA's. But I'm not sure if I should start with an RBA or RTA. Is one possibly easier to build on than the other? Are there advantages/disadvantages to one over the other?

I'm going to be buying the smok Alien 220 kit with the baby beast within the week, and I know that tank has an RBA core, so if RBA's are easier/better, sweet. If not, I'll buy an RTA as well.

I know there's also the personal preference factor, so basically what I'm asking from all you experienced builders is list some pro's and con's for each one then tell me what you prefer and why? In my short time here I've found I have very similar taste to some of you out there, so that will greatly help my decision.

Thanks in advance for any help, and vape on!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Who_Dey_1991

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2016
Ohio
So your saying having the full deck to build on is generally easier than trying to build in a coil head? Cause that's the idea I was getting, but I wanted some confirmation. Plus I don't have the steadiness of hands anyway. I might not be physically able to build a coil if the deck is too small.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
So your saying having the full deck to build on is generally easier than trying to build in a coil head? Cause that's the idea I was getting, but I wanted some confirmation. Plus I don't have the steadiness of hands anyway. I might not be physically able to build a coil if the deck is too small.

Yes, RBA heads for clearomizers are usually smaller and make other compromises in their construction as the clearo's are primarily intended for prebuilt coil heads. The Ijoy Limitless Combo seems interesting though. Several different types of swapable decks available, including prebuilt coil heads. Looks to be a no-compromise RTA. I don't have one though so I don't know what it's like for real (I have the Limitless and Limitless+).

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
Yes, RBA heads for clearomizers are usually smaller and make other compromises in their construction as the clearo's are primarily intended for prebuilt coil heads. The Ijoy Limitless Combo seems interesting though. Several different types of swapable decks available, including prebuilt coil heads. Looks to be a no-compromise RTA. I don't have one though so I don't know what it's like for real (I have the Limitless and Limitless+).

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
Add the limitless classic to the list, they stopped manufacturing the combo I heard and the classic is the replacement.
But to throw it out there if you like the rdta style look at the ijoy rdta box. Getting great reviews and has the same interchangeable decks, but the big thing is nearly 13ml capacity. I hear some have received them from china but I'm waiting on a us vendor in case there is an issue needing exchange.

Who_Dey_1991

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2016
Ohio
Figured I'd update everyone. Bought a Gemini last week. Took me a few tries to fully understand how to build dual coils but I got it figured out.

Got an Alien kit on the way so I'll probably get the RBA deck for the baby beast. Got another Gemini on the way with the Alien. Heard a lot of good things about the OBS Engine and the Griffin 25 so I'll probably get a couple of both as soon as I can.

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
Figured I'd update everyone. Bought a Gemini last week. Took me a few tries to fully understand how to build dual coils but I got it figured out.

Got an Alien kit on the way so I'll probably get the RBA deck for the baby beast. Got another Gemini on the way with the Alien. Heard a lot of good things about the OBS Engine and the Griffin 25 so I'll probably get a couple of both as soon as I can.

Topped my alien with an azeroth. Loving the alien, the baby beast not so much. Dunno if both the coils in the kit were duds but would get that burnt/hot leg taste if I was anywhere near the "best" wattages. Maybe I'll look at the RBA also.

TheBMP

Jan 6, 2016
For a beginner (and evryone else that doesnt have one yet tbh) id recommend the obs engine.

Big advantage is that it has top airflow so it wont leak at all. Also it has a decent sized velocity style deck and is easier to wick then most imho. Its cheap,performs great and is really easy to work with all around. just the screws suck a bit ..

Other then that id look into the trendy rtas from few months ago, griffin(25/plus), herakles v2 etc. Having a juice flow control helps alot since wicking correctly without having the tank leak during filling can be kinda tricky on some RTAs.

All of them are quite open draw tho so if youre looking for a mtl alternative ignore all i wrote ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread