Really confused about Muji cotton (organic or not?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

letmein

Jan 11, 2014
Yes
Trying to get to the bottom of this Muji cotton before I place an order.

I've done some reading, and came to the conclusion that many prefer Muji over rayon, and other kinds of cotton. That's what most of the review's I've read says.

1) There are several versions on the muji site.

Theres these:
Title: Unbleached cotton pads
MUJI Online - Welcome to the MUJI Online Store.

Then theres these
Title: Cotton Pads
MUJI Online - Welcome to the MUJI Online Store.

So naturally I thought well, it's the first one you should get - but then I click the second one, it was unbleached in the description too. And theres the packet picture (Where it says Cut Cotton) on the second one, that all other sites that sell them as organic are using.

2) Theres no mention of them being organic, yet 99% of other sites that sell Muji say they are ceritified organic. Here are some quotes from first page of google from different vendors.

"100% Japanese Cotton Pads by MUJI Japan (LIMITED TIME). 100% Made in Japan. MUJI Japanese Cotton pads. Super absorbent and easy ..."

"Certified organic pure cotton wicking material by Muji. After we examined and used this cotton, we find it looks to be the exact same as the Koh Gen Do pads"

"Organic, untreated MUJI cotton pads have taken the vaping world by storm. It would be remiss of us not to include this quality wicking material within our range."

The only thread I've been able to find is some guy on reddit, who claims to have emailed them. He states they are not organic and not pesticide free.

Japanese Cotton, Mine and Muji. : ecigclassifieds

Now, if you click on his user he sells his own organic cotton, so he's clearly not a reliable source, as he has vested interest as a competitor.

So what gives, are they organic or not?!

3) Some people claim the muji unbleached cut cotton, is absotely identical to the Koh Gen Do pads, how can that be if the Muji isn't organic? I've also heard that Kangertech uses the Muji cotton for their new subox, and they too claim it's organic.

Hope someone can help sort it out before I place an order, this is really confusing.

peHzEhZ.jpg

Reactions: 52anddone

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Whats the facination with organic cotton. It's not like the fertilizer used to grow the cotton is going to affect your vape??????

And Bleaching, well the only real issue here is TASTE. OK so you need to boil away the chems. Big deal, cotton even unbleached organic cotton grown by Japanese pixies vapes BETTER after being boiled.

Your Opinion may vary.....

Reactions: Cloudd

Cloudd

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Tip: boil cotton in distilled water to remove most salt and chemical deposition. Place in a glass jar and microwave-boil if you're really fanatic.

ADD (info for nerds): Very pure water has extremely high affinity for anything soluble, which is the same reason drinking distilled water daily is unhealthy.

Marmaduke

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Essen, Germany
Reactions: 52anddone

MasteroftheVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2014
Columbia, IL, USA
Really not that serious.
Amazon.com : Selena Organic Cotton Facial Puffs size M - 200 count : Cotton Balls : Beauty

Cheap, organic, unbleached.

All cotton comes from the same plants, cotton is cotton. The companies like muji, kgd, puffs, selena all buy the same cotton then process for packaging.

They only difference is how it is processed for packaging. How thick the pad is, how compressed the pad is, or what chemicals are used to treat it (organic takes this step out)

A banana is a banana whether it has a dole or Chiquita sticker on it.

For people that claim differences in flavor, it's because of:

Difference in build (may be miniscule, a mm difference in deck height or the sort)

Difference in wick density or working/fluffing.

Improper saturation prior to work in

Taste is subjective and can change from day to day.

In your head

Last edited:
Reactions: Edward Aiz

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
when i'm running out of cotton, all I do is when I put the kettle on for my morning cup of coffee, I put a strainer over a container, and drop 4 balls of cotton in the strainer; then when the water is boiled I pour hot water over the cotton to rinse it out, then I get on with my coffee.
the cotton dries out after a day or three then I put the cotton in one of those little containers I use for storing stuff in the freezer (those Rubbermaid or ziplock containers). And that's cotton for a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread