Really harsh throat hit and bad taste even on low wattage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpico_Beard

Jul 3, 2017
Hi, i just joined the forum because i couldn't find any help with this anywhere.
I've been using the same e cig for about 6 months now (cool fire 4) and a liquid which is 70 vg/30 pg without any problems but lately it's been really harsh to vape with even on a low wattage and if i change the coil it's nice and smooth for a day or 2 and then becomes really harsh again. Is it the coil? The liquid? It's really annoying me because i've never had any problems with this set up before.
I asked for advice in my regular vaping shop and the woman working there had no clue at all.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(EDIT - Sorry i forgot to mention that i switched from a 50/50 mix to a 70/30 although i didn't think that would be the cause of the harshness).

Last edited:

Serpico_Beard

Jul 3, 2017
It sounds like it may be your ejuice since you say it's fine with a fresh coil. Juices that are sweet will gunk a coil pretty fast. I use a couple sweet juices and if I didn't build my own coil I'd be going through a coil every other day.
Ok cool thanks for replying.
I got some new juice today which is a 50/50 mix and i put a new coil in as well. Hopefully it'll be alright now because i've thrown away 4 or 5 coils over the last week because the hit was so harsh i couldn't even vape anymore.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome.
This is a Cool fire IV:
cool-fire-4-1.jpg

What voltage/wattage are you using?
What tank are you using? Make/model?
Which coil are you using? (Ω?)
Is it a new batch of juice? New pack of coils?
What changed?

Cheers
I

Serpico_Beard

Jul 3, 2017
You'll have to excuse me i'm not an expert at all, i was using a rubbish ego cig for a long time before a friend got me the Cool fire 4 for Christmas.
The only thing which has changed is i was using 50/50 mix and it went to a 70/30.
I was under the impression that if you have a higher VG it would give you a smoother vape but apparently it doesn't do that at all lol.
I'm using 0.5 Ohm coils and i usually have the wattage somewhere between 15-20. Lately even when i reduce the wattage to 10-12 it is so harsh i can't even use it.

Serpico_Beard

Jul 3, 2017
Although pg gives flavour an throat hit, vg doesn't agree with people at all.
It's same with me, I use 50/50 or higher pg, vg just makes me cough a fit.
People are different, sounds like an intolerance to the vg so go back to 50/50. This is not uncommon at all :)
I switched back to a 50/50 today so hopefully it'll be ok now. I didn't know that having a higher VG would make it so horrible. The woman in the shop told me a higher VG would make it smoother.

Reactions: Skold

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
It's probably either the new juice or perhaps a bad pack of coils... like previously mentioned that new juice may not be agreeing with you, also a 70vg is thicker and perhaps those coils are not wicking as good because of the thicker juice. If the coils are not wicking as efficiently as with the thinner juice, then those coils might be getting slightly dry, thus making it seem a little harsher, but at those wattages, those coils, and 70vg juice, you shouldn't really be having dry coil issues (unless you got a bad batch of coils)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Your shop person is generally correct, higher VG does generally smooth out the TH, produces a heavier vapor and has a tendency to mute the flavor.. But we're all different. Like Skold, I can't handle high VG, it tends to cause a lot of phlegm for me. Many others have no problem.

Hope the change back to your previous ratio does the trick for you.

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
Your shop person is generally correct, higher VG does generally smooth out the TH, produces a heavier vapor and has a tendency to mute the flavor.. But we're all different. Like Skold, I can't handle high VG, it tends to cause a lot of phlegm for me. Many others have no problem.

Hope the change back to your previous ratio does the trick for you.
As he said it generally is but like us two it's not agreeing with you. Stick to 50/50.
Also as said above it might not be wicking right.
The coolfire iv is a good mod though, I have two of them & I love the on/off switch :)

Serpico_Beard

Jul 3, 2017
I hope so, do you use the tank that came with it?? I think the nautilus sits on it quite nicely.
Yeah i use the tank which came with it. I've had to replace it a couple of times though because the metal tube inside has snapped off when i unscrewed it to try and refill. Then i'm standing there with e liquid all over my hands and clothes.

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
Yeah i use the tank which came with it. I've had to replace it a couple of times though because the metal tube inside has snapped off when i unscrewed it to try and refill. Then i'm standing there with e liquid all over my hands and clothes.
Bummer an the isub apex is a better tank than the original isub :)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
You'll have to excuse me i'm not an expert at all, i was using a rubbish ego cig for a long time before a friend got me the Cool fire 4 for Christmas.
The only thing which has changed is i was using 50/50 mix and it went to a 70/30.
I was under the impression that if you have a higher VG it would give you a smoother vape but apparently it doesn't do that at all lol.
I'm using 0.5 Ohm coils and i usually have the wattage somewhere between 15-20. Lately even when i reduce the wattage to 10-12 it is so harsh i can't even use it.

Yes, vg is a smoother vape - however, it is much thicker and therefore wicks more slowly. Because of this, you have to take more care in priming your coil with higher vg juices before firing your mod, otherwise you will burn your coil and it will be horrible to vape. This is exactly what it sounds like your doing btw, burning your coil up. (The harshness is from inhaling burnt cotton, not from the juice itself)

In order to prime a factory coil, before you put any power to it you need to close off the airflow completely, and still without power suck - you will see an air bubble come up from the coil area. Wait a minute, then do it again. Keep doing this until there are no more air bubbles. At this stage let the tank sit (upright) anywhere from 15-25 minutes.. then you should be good to vape as normal (don't forget to open your airflow back up again.)

Periodically you may have to reprime the coil again, especially if you chain vape..

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
Yes, vg is a smoother vape - however, it is much thicker and therefore wicks more slowly. Because of this, you have to take more care in priming your coil with higher vg juices before firing your mod, otherwise you will burn your coil and it will be horrible to vape. This is exactly what it sounds like your doing btw, burning your coil up. (The harshness is from inhaling burnt cotton, not from the juice itself)

In order to prime a factory coil, before you put any power to it you need to close off the airflow completely, and still without power suck - you will see an air bubble come up from the coil area. Wait a minute, then do it again. Keep doing this until there are no more air bubbles. At this stage let the tank sit (upright) anywhere from 15-25 minutes.. then you should be good to vape as normal (don't forget to open your airflow back up again.)

Periodically you may have to reprime the coil again, especially if you chain vape..
Agree with all but 15-20 minutes??
I find if I prime correctly I can vape it within 5 minutes & my coils last 3-4 weeks. Some people like to wash them, dry out & use again but I can afford coils so don't find thus necessary...

Reactions: Opinionated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread