Really need help coiling SS fused clapton to reach about .25ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

poolman

Jan 8, 2017
The equipment first I am using geekvape SS fused clapton wire 24ga*2+ 32ga. Working with the reload rta. I have tried many different builds 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4 mm ranging from 5 to 7 wraps apparently, I have not found the right combination. I keep getting readings about.08 that I can adjust it to .1 or .11 start to work the coils. Then I let them cool and get my cotton ready and it jumps back down to .08. Finding .25ohms would be desired but at this point any thing above .1 would work. I have checked the connections and checked if the coil was touching the deck; both look good. I have tried steam engine but don't know how to input fused claptons. PLEASE HELP. This is really frustrating!

Last edited:

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
People using geekvape coils often have this problem. The wrap is too big and on the reload, SS 24g is a bit big and a bit low to hit 0.25, especially with a huge wrap.

The clapton wrap doesn't affect the resistance other than the increase in ID so you input 0.2mm over your jig ID to fix that.
They used too big of a wrap (32g is massive for a clapton), the cores are huge for such a wrap making that a ridiculously inefficient build and the quality of the wire is poor at best.
If it were kanthal you'd have a much better chance of getting it to work but fused 24g SS in a small atty like the reload with a huge wrap is a bad combo. I usually use a 2.5mm ID to easily clear the chimney and I'm using 0.4mm thick core with a 40g (0.08mm) wrap. You're using a 0.51mm core with a 32g (0.2mm) wrap and that wrap is adding an additional 0.2mm to you're ID which makes it much worse.

I'll gladly make you something that will actually work if you'd like. If not, buy better pre-made stuff but be careful because they're all taking as many short cuts as they can.
b0436d5da0acb6c0b07a9caf3b472a5f.jpg

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
yes regulated RX200.
Then the coil resistance is not really important, why are you so intent on achieving 0.25 ohms?
The resistance of SS will increase temporarily with temperature hence why it's used with TC. Any other shifting of resistance will usually be down to poor post connectivity.

Reactions: Izan

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I have a dual coil Griffin tank, so I've made 2 .50 ohm SS Claptons and end up with .25 ohms. I use 3 28 gauge wires wound as a Clapton, 8 turns on 2.5 mm. Lots of combinations using thinner wires to get a .25 ohm coil but I'm sure it is possible. I have a Daedalus to wind coils and when I first started I used 32 gauge for the outer wrap but went lower since.
At the same time I have a tank taking dual coil Claptons for a total of .40 ohms, can't find a .80 ohm coil for that so I had to make one.

Joakim Langborg

Aug 3, 2017
Ah... Miss from me. You bought a pre-made Clapton wire. That one is more made for like low build for maybe more mech or at least around 0.1 ohm dual or 0.2 ohm in single coil.

Anyway you should try and make your own, ain't that hard, start with single core Clapton and when that works you can easy start to make fused Clapton.

My 2nd attempt on building my own Clapton (28x2/35 SS316L).
364e64c2e964ffa20e8d2243bc9ce4bc.jpg

oudpal9ba8d.png

Reactions: Letitia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread