Really struggling to stay away from smoking, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar94

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2016
It's such an over-powering phsycological battle... I'm guessing we've all had to go through this? I was vaping from 2016 to around august 2017, then i slipped up from august to back and forth up to now, I've got health anxiety... and i just think isn't the damage already done?, when i say I've slipped up smoking i mean I'll have 1 ... here and there, to me that's still a serious slip up, isit worth going doctors?, i really don't wanna smoke

Reactions: stols001

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
No idea how long you've smoked or your age to know if damage is already done. Generally if you quit before 50, no, your lungs can heal completely. After 50 lungs still heal. But even if the damage was done you would be avoiding doing more damage.

Is it worth going to the doctors? I don't know what for. For me it was pretty much required, smoking was helping Inflammatory Bowel Disease and kept me from being diagnosed my whole smoking life. Quitting (because it was flaring) made it flare bad so I thought I had colorectal cancer.
Going to the Dr because you've had a cigarette? No. Going to the Dr because you're having symptoms of something? Yes. Going to the Dr for anxiety? I sure do, without that I'd probably quit going to Drs.
Since you called cigarettes fags the Dr you see will probably tell you using ecigs rather than cigarettes is much better for your health no matter your smoking history or age. If you were in the US you'd probably gets some "but we just don't know" crap.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My most difficult cigarettes to stamp out were the stress ones. Usually, during that time, I will HOPE a cigarette will cause damage, I'm that stressed out.

I haven't smoked a stress cigarette in some time now. However, I was very, very ill when I started vaping, in fact my docs were about to slap a COPD diagnosis on me. Fast forward to (getting near) a year of vaping, my docs are no longer concerned about my lungs. That doesn't mean I am yet out of the woods as far as potentially facing cancer, as well as other things.

With that said, it's a somewhat pessimistic outlook, to say, "Hasn't the damage been done?" It's certainly true that NOW your lungs have some damage, but I have seen people with oxygen tanks start vaping and note health improvements. The body really is self-healing, so no matter WHAT the state of your health, vaping consistently and replacing your cigarette habit again is GOING to be worth it.

If I get cancer, I have no plans to return to smoking. For one, as you are seeing, it can be so easy to slip back to smoking, and then have a hard time returning to vaping, Every Quit is Different, and not always successful.. Also, if I'm dealing with CHEMO, I don't really need MORE toxic substances in my system.

I don't mean to be harsh... But if you are facing medical stuff, make it work for you. Do you want to let smoking do MORE damage? My 18 months of straight pneumonia brought me to a state of reasonableness, because there was NO WAY I was going to exit this world via COPD, or put my family through that either. So, you can make your fears work FOR you or you can choose to make them an excuse.

I'm only 43. I want to see my grandkids, still be active as I age, etc. It really doesn't matter how your health is impacted NOW, what matters is what you choose to make of it.

Best of luck and I mean that very sincerely. Use ECF as a support. You can address this and move back to vaping, but it is entirely and only your choice.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread