• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Reasons on why the government opposes the sale of e-cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy44

Moved On
Sep 3, 2017
Screenshot_2017-11-05-07-16-49.png

Source: ecigarette-politics.com

Please feel free to input any comments/feedback. All inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Educate and Encourage vaping to all whom are of legitimate age to consume nicotine in any type or form. Thank you.

fathzero

Mar 6, 2017
I believe most of our local vapers already knew about this and yet thanks for the info mate!

Sad to say that most of my vaper buddies switch back to cancer stick, after they notice vaping is hard in this country. We face alot of obstacles, got scammed, got caught and etc etc....
Its too painful to be honest.

Stay safe mate!

chia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2014
Red Dot
Sad but true, most political decisions are biased toward revenue/income of government coffer.. its just about how they package it so the public have a perception that it’s good for them... take medisave for instance, after the recent media blast about its benefits they raise the premiums. Can anyone make an educated guess how much they rake in, CPF and medisave, per month? No amount is enough!

Cloudy44

Moved On
Sep 3, 2017
I believe most of our local vapers already knew about this and yet thanks for the info mate!

Sad to say that most of my vaper buddies switch back to cancer stick, after they notice vaping is hard in this country. We face alot of obstacles, got scammed, got caught and etc etc....
Its too painful to be honest.

Stay safe mate!

Thanks, bro. :thumb:

Vape safe... But never-ever cease vaping.

Cloudy44

Moved On
Sep 3, 2017
Sad but true, most political decisions are biased toward revenue/income of government coffer.. its just about how they package it so the public have a perception that it’s good for them... take medisave for instance, after the recent media blast about its benefits they raise the premiums. Can anyone make an educated guess how much they rake in, CPF and medisave, per month? No amount is enough!

Exactly...
Let's take my uncle, for instance.
First, he had 25% of his tougue removed last year due to mouth cancer from decades of smoking analogs.
Since then, he had been warded and discharged from the hospital 4 times already due to infections, improper surgery techniques, etc etc.

Just yesterday he was discharged again after a previous failed surgery.
I really feel sorry for him.
Medisave has depleted, gotta use cash now.

The state he is now is mainly due to smoking analogs...
Which inherently relates to section 3 and 4 of the list i posted above.
If only the government has the foresight and not focus on taxes and ridiculous reasons to ban e-cigs, the health of smokers would be way better and hence shall be less of a burden to the health ministry.

However, as stated in section 4, the pharmaceutical industry would take a hit on the cost of treating sick smokers. In turn, hurting huge taxes profited by the government.

Bottomline... As all our bros cited above, money (taxes) is the root of all evil which holds a firm grip on the government's ever thirsty lust for greed.

Reactions: stols001

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The new commissioner of the US Food and Drug Administration (nominated by President Trump) is proposing to use his agency's existing authority to leave vaping mostly alone while removing almost all the nicotine from cigarettes to discourage smoking and encourage switching to vaping. Has the Singapore government considered that? The answer is no and the reason is there's no money in it.

Political factions in every government everywhere hate ecigs because it threatens their funding. The only reason to be a politician is to take money from some people and give it to your friends. (A politician's friends are the people he gives money to.) In this case, since most people don't smoke most people believe they benefit from cigarette taxes. They kill their neighbors for a few bucks and go unpunished.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I don't think it's taxes. Government could easily tax the juice and/or hardware if they wanted to.
Taxing vaping is much more challenging than taxing cigarettes and is unlikely to generate a small fraction of the taxes no matter the tax rate. For instance, I used to spend $3,000 a year to smoke a carton a week in Michigan. One liter of 100 mg nic costs $50 and will last me 4 years and replace $12,000 worth of cigarettes. In Chicago cigarettes cost twice as much so the same bottle saves $24,000. For $250 I have enough nic in the freezer to last 20 years (if nic will keep that long). That's less than it cost me to smoke for 3 months. Vaping will crush smoking because of the price advantage.

There is a ton of money connected to smoking ... not just the sale of cigarettes.
The best number I found is annual tobacco sales world wide are something like $800-$1 trillion dollars. That's a lot all by itself. What is the other money connected to smoking besides medical costs related to smoking? (I'm not convinced that eliminating smoking will reducee the total cost of all medical care. People will live longer and everybody dies of something.)

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Taxing vaping is much more challenging than taxing cigarettes and is unlikely to generate a small fraction of the taxes no matter the tax rate. For instance, I used to spend $3,000 a year to smoke a carton a week in Michigan. One liter of 100 mg nic costs $50 and will last me 4 years and replace $12,000 worth of cigarettes. In Chicago cigarettes cost twice as much so the same bottle saves $24,000. For $250 I have enough nic in the freezer to last 20 years (if nic will keep that long). That's less than it cost me to smoke for 3 months. Vaping will crush smoking because of the price advantage.

The best number I found is annual tobacco sales world wide are something like $800-$1 trillion dollars. That's a lot all by itself. What is the other money connected to smoking besides medical costs related to smoking? (I'm not convinced that eliminating smoking will reducee the total cost of all medical care. People will live longer and everybody dies of something.)

There is a lot of money and employment in regards to Anti-Tobacco awareness ... this money and employment will always survive as long as smoking is around. They cannot let Vaping kill off smoking and have everybody start being more healthy.

Too many lobbyists pushing too much money to have Vaping survive. For all the same reasons, we are seeing a Global Assault on Vaping.

• Agree
Reactions: DPLongo22

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
There is a lot of money and employment in regards to Anti-Tobacco awareness ... this money and employment will always survive as long as smoking is around. They cannot let Vaping kill off smoking and have everybody start being more healthy.

Too many lobbyists pushing too much money to have Vaping survive. For all the same reasons, we are seeing a Global Assault on Vaping.
Yes. But the so-called tobacco control crowd are just the tip of an iceberg. Here in Michigan I believe state government collects something like $944 million per year in tobacco taxes which is 4% of their total tax revenue. If that money went away many tax supported and tax subsidized organizations would see painful funding cuts. Every year there is ferocious competition for government funding for all sorts of groups. They see ecigs as a funding threat. Anything that threatens their money, no matter how much good it can do, will be opposed. The practical solution is to identify these groups and end their tax funding entirely. Then they will shut up and .... out because they don't have skin in the game or they cease to exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread