Status
Not open for further replies.

PhatRon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Cumming, GA, USA
Hello vaping World,

I have started dabbling with making rebuildable coils for my BCCs (EVODs, T3s, and PT2) because I thought it would be a fun and useful trade to learn. I purchased some 3mm Silica wick and some 32 gauge Kanthal from a vendor on Amazon called Lightning Vapes. Great product and they work very well for a very cheap price, so if anyone is looking to buy some wire and wick I would definitely look them up on Amazon.

That's besides the point though. I have a multimeter so I am able to check the resistance of my coils before I try and fire them on my batteries to make sure everything is safe and that there are no shorts.. The first coil I made, I did 6 close wraps around the wick and when I put it in my atomizer head it read out around 3.0 ohms. Seeing as the battery I had at the time only went up to 4.2 volts I was not getting a very pleasurable vape because the resistance was so high..

So I thought maybe it was because I was using it on too big of a wick and created too much length in the wire overall. I bought a 5/64th drill bit and started making coils on that with less wraps and I found that if I only did 3 wraps and used cotton as a wick I was able to achieve around a 1.8-2.0 ohm coil which I like to vape around much more than 3.0. I noticed it was not putting out as much vapor or flavor as my stock head was putting out and looked into youtube videos about rebuilding and learned that the more wraps you have, the more flavor and vapor production you would get out of your coil, so I was stuck in quite the dilemma..

I found out that if you get a drill and place an allen wrench into the bit holder and put the wire around the allen wrench that you could essentially twist the wire together when you turn on the drill. This decreased the resistance from 1.1 ohms per inch to 0.55 ohms per inch because it made the wire thicker. I then wrapped the twisted wire around my 5/64th drill bit 6-7 times and I can now effectively cover more wick area and still get the desired resistance of around 1.8 ohms.

I do have to say that flavor and vapor production have drastically increased compared to both the stock and the 3 wrap coil I had used before.. AND the wire is thicker so I am guessing that the lifespan of my coils will dramatically increase over time because it will be harder for them to "pop". All I have to do now when I get a burnt taste is take out the cotton wick, dry burn the coil, and insert a new cotton wick and BAM its as good as new. I have done this with all of my tanks and my Protank2 which I use as my all day vaping tank has had the same coil for close to a month with no problems at all.

I am sure I am not the inventor of this method and there are probably some YouTube videos out there that are of someone doing this. I just thought I would share some of my knowledge and wisdom with everyone who is experimenting with rebuildables!

Put that in your tank and vape it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread