Recipes Only (non Nicotine or other premade e-juices)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
Colorado
phi303.blogspot.com
Brand new to vaping and trying to follow all the threads. Looking through can't seem to find anything regarding WHY you must use flavorings special ordered. Why aren't people using extracts from the cupboard, like vanilla extract, mapling, mint, lemon, etc....?

those things often are oil-based and contain sugars and such. you COULD use them but they'll build up and gunk up your atomizers and eventually cause a failure in performance and you'll be out an atomizer

miketr

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Southern Illinois (rural area)
I'm getting the impression that atomizers eventually fail no matter what and you have to keep buying them. I agree oils and colorings may gunk them up somewhat faster, though. I just decided I wanted to experiment a little and to heck with it, I'll just buy more atomizers. They are pretty darned cheap. I'm trying to take care of mine, soak and clean them to extend their life, sure. But I'm really glad I tried the Anise Oil and Cinnamon Oil. I really liked them. And we are talking about very small quantities here, especially in store bought flavorings, that are mostly alcohol anyway.
For me the issue with store bought ones, I guess, is that you have to add a lot more and it can throw off the vapor, etc. you are going for in your mix. I have used them a little without ill effect. Another point is you have a much wider variety of flavors to choose from than the supermarket flavors, they likely have a better flavor because they are not as cheaply made, and because they are so concentrated they end up being less expensive to use.

Total Inferno

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2009
Abilene Texas, USA
I am new to this but was glad to read Scuby's post about useing oils and such. Been wondering about the possibility trying some others extracts such as Devil's Claw Yucca, Black Cohosh Kava Kava, and Wormwood I purchased from Mountain Rose Herbs. (they have 16oz VG for $8)
Is this possible and would I still benefit from their medicinal properties.
Suggested doses range about 15 to 30 drops one to three times a day.
Any ideas on a recipe or would I have to vape around the clock to get that much. My name is Total Inferno. I could do it.:evil:

Total Inferno

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2009
Abilene Texas, USA
Upon further review, I see nothing on the labels saying they contain any types of oils but I do think I remember seeing something on their web site saying they were oil based. Ingredients listed on bottles do contain 40 to 85% organic grape alcohol depending on which one. I ask this because 15 drops in my coffee is pretty nasty stuff and ruins a good cup of joe. Looking for a good ejuice recipe maybe cover up some of that twang.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Devils Claw-Yucca ingredients-
Devils Claw 30%
Yucca root 30%
Ginger root 20%
Dandelion 10%
Black Cohosh root 10%
organic alcohol 40%

-------------------------------------------------------------
Black Cohosh- Kava Kava
Black Cohosh 69%
Kava Kava 19%
Dogwood root bark 9%
ginger 3%
organic grape alcohol content 85%

------------------------------------------------------------
Wormwood
dried organic flower and leaf filtered water
45% organic grape alcohol

------------------------------------------------------------
I know some add up to more than 100% but thats what they say on the labels. Maybe has to do with two of them being a compound of more than one extract.

BenJammin

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2009
Richmond Virginia, USA
Alright, I can't get Everclear in my state, but I do live on the Ohio River, so I can go right across the river and get it in WV at the liquor store. No problem there. I've never even heard of Hobby Lobby, so I don't think that we even have any of those within a 100 mile radius, and I am so not driving to Columbus 100 miles away to get that.

Could you please explain to a noob in very simple terms about what VG is, if this stuff will at all have a risk of hurting my atomizer, and anything else that I may need to know. Sorry if this stuff has been answered before, but I have been up for at least 36 or more hours with like a 30min sleep break so I am a little craptacular right now! I do not know much about measuring and chemistry involved here, but I do have a friend that is pretty smart in that area.

Hobby Lobby is an arts and crafts store. If you have a Michaels near by, they carry it too. Didn't think to check in WalMart or Target so I don't know if they carry it as well. Look in the section for wedding cakes and decorations where they keep icing tubes, stencils, food colorings etc. Went out hunting for LorAnns flavorings but I found Wiltons Glycerin instead. Only $1.99 for 59ml bottle. Wiltons also makes flavorings. Found an Almond flavor they make that doesn't use the oil base. So far it's pretty tasty! They were pretty picked over the only other flavors left were vanilla and butter creme, but I've heard bad things about the butter flavors so I avoid them.

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Being a coffee drinker I LOVE this one

I always make it in 30 MLS

20 ml PG/VG base (that's 80% PG 20%VG)
5 ml english toffee (Loranns)
4 ml everclear
1 ml coffee (Loranns)

You should try the Keoke Coffe istead, it is much lighter in color than the regular coffee from Loranns and IMO it has a much better flavor! I make the same one just uising the Lorann Keoke Coffee. Also next time add .5ml of butter rum to the mix it is AWESOME!
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Is the Keoke as strong or do you need to add more than the regular coffee?

I add a little more than the regular coffee, here is a recipe you might like:

Rum Coffee Toffee:

7ml PG
2ml VG
1ml Flavoring:
Keoke Coffee 15 drops
English Toffee 10 drops
Butter Rum 10 drops

Makes 10ml coffee bliss!

This is a wonderful coffee vape! Hope you enjoy it!
Dan

Last edited:

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I was messing around tonight trying to sweeten up some caramel flavor. I found the Lorann Caramel not to be very sweet. Hmm, what to call this.... I have no idea! Ok.. maybe...

Would you like some Sugar with your Caramel?
3ml PG
1.50ml VG
0.25ml Lorann Caramel
0.75ml Lorann Marshmellow
0.50ml Lorann Cotton Candy

Last edited:

miketr

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Southern Illinois (rural area)
Wow, these sound good!
On where to find Lorann's, I went into our local Hobby Lobby and looked at the Wilson's stuff and a few bigger Lorann's bottles, some emulsion or something, I don't know, I don't bake cakes ;), and concluded they had no Lorann's concentrated flavorings, bought a bottle of Wilson's VG, and left. A few weeks later I realized that they do carry it, but it's not in little bottles on the shelf with the rest, it is packaged on plastic-coated hanging yellow and purple cards, two bottles per card, hanging up high on the opposite side of the aisle from the other cake flavoring items. No wonder I couldn't find them the first time, I was looking for free standing little bottles grouped with the other flavorings. Why they had it set up like this, I have no idea, but they actually had a decent selection. It may be other hobby lobbies do this too, so if you find the glycerin but don't see the Lorann's, turn around and look at eye level or ask the cake decorating employee. Here's what the packs look like at this link: http://ejconfectionery.com/images/1_dram_twin.jpg
Of course, this was after I had already bought a few from a different local store, and ordered a bunch online. Which is (slightly) the cheaper way to go anyway, local stores are just more convenient, and it's nice to support the local economy.
I've been vaping like crazy at my Creme De Menthe basic recipe posted earlier, but I am going to have to try that butter rum coffee variation of Dan's now.

Edit: When I got home I put some butter rum in a somewhat failed eLiquid attempt I had made, and vaped it, and it is really good. I'm going to have to start using it in stuff. I'm afraid after a few puffs, I had to pour myself a shot of butterscotch schnapps. (I know, butter rum isn't butterscotch, but that's what happened). :)

Last edited:

greenie

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Thought this might be a good area to list only non Nicotine recipes or recipes that do not involve using other e-juices.

great thread idea. It's just what I was looking for.

I need to learn so I'll be asking a bunch of questions. I really don't mean to be annoying.

I agree with emus in looking for a food grade vegtable glycerin. VG does a couple things, it adds more vapor, it produces a sweeter flavor (good for fruit flavors), it is thicker so it will need to be thinned with PGA or distilled water. If you can not find it in any stores in your area, you can get it here in 1 quart bottle for $11.00, or 55gal drum LOL or inbetween.
The Chemistry Store.com Inc: Products & Services

I am assumming a PGA is an alchohol?

If one used PG instead of VG would it still need to be thinned?

Hope this helps
Dan

yes if you want to go nico-free it's really easy to make. just get Glycerine or PG from what ever source you want (i prefer Glycerine), flavorings and for throat hit some Everclear. Simple, just experiment with the ratios - more Glycerine or PG (remember to use those as basis) and play with it.

Why do you prefer glycerine?

So if a throat hit isn't important to a person they could omit the Everclear?

Does one need to use both PG and VG?

I could make a recipe using PG and flavoring only?

I made a simple Creme de Menthe eJuice the other day that turned out very pleasant:

1 ml VG
1 ml PG
22 drops Lorann's Creme de Menthe

This has no discernible throat hit, the Creme de Menthe flavor surprised me with it's accuracy and richness, and the approximately 50 % VG made it sweet with lots of clouds of vapor. My wife, who is a nonsmoker (I guess I am too now actually), was impressed and liked it. I experimented with the number of drops - first I tried 12, and it was too weak, so I added 10 more drops, and that tasted about right. You might be able to add some more, but I don't want to overdo it and get something so strongly flavored that the flavors start to take on a bitter tone.

If it is the VG producing the vapor what does the PG contribute?

So I have come away with this:
below is the quintessential recipe for making something to vape without throat hit produced by the ever clear or equivalent.( distilled water?)

1 ml VG
1 ml PG
22 drops Lorann's
(of your choice if it is water based and not full of additives because oils and additives will clog or ruin the atty)

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
great thread idea. It's just what I was looking for.

I need to learn so I'll be asking a bunch of questions. I really don't mean to be annoying.

No problem we are used to it hehehehehehe

Why do you prefer glycerine?

So if a throat hit isn't important to a person they could omit the Everclear?

Does one need to use both PG and VG?

I could make a recipe using PG and flavoring only?

If it is the VG producing the vapor what does the PG contribute?

Glycerin or VG is the same thing, it add sweetness and more vapor production to your juice.

Yes you can omit the everclear.

No you can use PG or VG seperate or together.

Yes PG is the base of most commercial juices

Both VG and PG produce vapor, but a little VG added to the PG like 30% adds more vapor production IMO.

VG and PG both produce vapor, they can be use inerchangably.

So I have come away with this:
below is the quintessential recipe for making something to vape without throat hit produced by the ever clear or equivalent.( distilled water?)

1 ml VG
1 ml PG
22 drops Lorann's (of your choice if it is water based and not full of additives because oils and additives will clog or ruin the atty)

IMO I would start out at 1 - 2 drops flavoring per ml, 22 drops of say cherry flavoring in 2ml will choke you, it will be tooooooooo strong.

Welcome to the DIY! you are on the right track.
If you havent downloaded the excel calculator I would recommend doing so, link is in my sig. Takes the guess work out of the mixing. I also just updated it and it now has a recipies page with 38 recipes. The Idea was courtesy of dale.
Enjoy!
Dan

Last edited:

greenie

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
Pacific Northwest
No problem we are used to it hehehehehehe

Glycerin or VG is the same thing, it add sweetness and more vapor production to your juice.

Yes you can omit the everclear.

No you can use PG or VG seperate or together.

Yes PG is the base of most commercial juices

Both VG and PG produce vapor, but a little VG added to the PG like 30% adds more vapor production IMO.

VG and PG both produce vapor, they can be use inerchangably.

IMO I would start out at 1 - 2 drops flavoring per ml, 22 drops of say cherry flavoring in 2ml will choke you, it will be tooooooooo strong.

Welcome to the DIY! you are on the right track.
If you havent downloaded the excel calculator I would recommend doing so, link is in my sig. Takes the guess work out of the mixing. I also just updated it and it now has a recipies page with 38 recipes. The Idea was courtesy of dale.
Enjoy!
Dan

wonderful

and thank you :D

Last edited:

desrtrat

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
greenie has touched on the same questions I have had! I'm just getting started in the DIY because I also want to move to 0 nic. I have VG, Vodka, several bottles of LorAnns that I'm eager to experiment with as well as various bottles and tubes for mixing haha.

I only have VG and want to make something with JUST VG and dilute it with the Vodka. Is there a certain proportion that works well? I saw a 50/50 in here but that seems extreme to me haha

I guess I'm just looking for a "base" to start with before adding flavorings. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I've looked through this entire thread and all around DIY (using search tool) and still haven't found this simple mixture. Please forgive me if this has been asked before. I hope I'm not the only person that doesn't want to use PG at all.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
greenie has touched on the same questions I have had! I'm just getting started in the DIY because I also want to move to 0 nic. I have VG, Vodka, several bottles of LorAnns that I'm eager to experiment with as well as various bottles and tubes for mixing haha.

I only have VG and want to make something with JUST VG and dilute it with the Vodka. Is there a certain proportion that works well? I saw a 50/50 in here but that seems extreme to me haha

I guess I'm just looking for a "base" to start with before adding flavorings. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I've looked through this entire thread and all around DIY (using search tool) and still haven't found this simple mixture. Please forgive me if this has been asked before. I hope I'm not the only person that doesn't want to use PG at all.

Some people use distilled water and some use vodka, me I like the vodka. I use typically 20% water/vodka to 80% VG. It is about right to me. I read somewhere on viscosity checks to tilt a mirror at 45 degrees and drip a drop of the liquid you are trying to match and time it as to how long it takes to run before slowing or stopping. Then do the same with your test batch and get it as close as you can by slowly adding in water/vodka.

Hope this helps
Dan

desrtrat

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Some people use distilled water and some use vodka, me I like the vodka. I use typically 20% water/vodka to 80% VG. It is about right to me. I read somewhere on viscosity checks to tilt a mirror at 45 degrees and drip a drop of the liquid you are trying to match and time it as to how long it takes to run before slowing or stopping. Then do the same with your test batch and get it as close as you can by slowly adding in water/vodka.

Hope this helps
Dan

Excellent! thanks a lot Dan! I didn't want to completely screw up my first attempt haha This is exactly what I was looking for! Great name BTW dude...

The OTHER Dan ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread