• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Hello all! I'm going to put a link here for a "from scratch" recipe for the old formulation of Johnson Creeks' Original (tobacco flavor with a hint of nutty caramel). It's quite involved, complete with separate mixes that I make multiple batches of, then keep aside so I can just measure out for a quick 30 ml batch. These should be made fresh every once in awhile anyway, because of Vg's usual way of kind of soaking up flavors. However I have found that ECOpure's new Krystal (36 mg/ml) for mixing does hold flavors beautifully, it's way better than generic Glycerin, MO! It's also very clean tasting and doesn't clog up my 801 atomizers. (I use a Janty Stick, 100%) It may seem daunting, but it's pretty much step by step. The reason I didn't just paste it in here is because the links for the ingredients get "lost" in pasting. It's a pretty long post, also. I used flavoring extracts from The Spice Barn, but I think you could use flavorings you probably have, Caramel and Hazelnut. Along with tobacco absolutes, Ethyl Maltol and VG, there's only five ingredients. I believe in less is best! I fear reactions, because of PG poisoning!!
I want to thank booboo and everyone for putting up this Social Group, it's a great idea! I had to get away from PG, after about two months developed such a sensitivity to it that now one cartful can just about strangle me. Lung pain, coughing, throat closes up, the whole bit. I'm so thankful so far VG has been working very well, I love the vapor. I love vaping!!
My first love was Johnson Creek Original, but they have changed all of their formulations now, and not only that, added PG to the VG and made it impossible for me to use. AND the taste is just not the same either, since they did away with natural tobacco flavors.
So I spent about $300 and a couple months of time to come up with a "printable" recipe. I was cigarette free from day one, which is simply amazing to me, I smoked 44 years+, 2-3 packs a day the last couple years. Vaping has saved my life, I'm sure of it. It sure made is way better! The recipe is my all-day every-day juice, which you can use the recipe calculator to find the right mix for your strength nic needed. It's sure helpful. I also recommend using pipettes with ml graduations, drops not very accurate in this one.

Thanks guys, will see you around. If you have any questions about the recipe, feel free to PM! OH: the recipe is in Post #9, but the rest of the thread is input from others, I think all are very helpful.

Last edited:

mstrhck

Sep 23, 2009
New England, USA
Wow, thanks, Kate! I think your post might have been hard to find
via search.

I have a question: Do you think, based on your experimentation,
that your recipe, minus the absolutes, would serve as a generic
good base for any flavor a DIY'er would want to create?

I want to learn how to create a nice rounded flavor in general.
I have only just started and as a quick test tasted vanilla extract
(no sugar, in alcohol) in VG and as expected it was a bit
medicine-y. Is this a good application for the ethyl maltol, for
instance?

Thanks for any advice you could give!

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Wow, thanks, Kate! I think your post might have been hard to find
via search.
Searches are getting harder, so many posts!
You may want to try this link:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tags/diy+eliquid-page4.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tags/diy+eliquid-page4.html
There are a lot of flavors going on, many with Glycerin, others with PG. When using commercial flavorings, you need to find just the right amount to add to your base liquid so you can both taste/smell it at the same time. So you can seemingly not figure out if it's a "taste" or just a "smell", it should be both! The measure of a good e-juice. All flavors and smells can be detected, without one of them overpowering the others, but still be able to detect each of them. Hope that's understandable. It is tricky, may take quite a few test batches for it to meld together. That's what the Johnson Creek Original was like, it was tobacco, with a hint of nutty caramel, you could just pick each one out. Very mild, this is not a throat-hit kind of flavor. But nice for all the time use.
Tobacco is the hardest flavor to make into good vape, just tobacco flavor alone.
The reason for the Ethyl Maltol is to smooth out the flavor just of the tobacco absolute. Absolute has some very unique low-density flavors and some high bitter flavors that Ethyl Maltol kind of brings out the lows more (the kind of mild hay or grassy essence) and covers the high bitters (the veins of the leaves can be bitter, like orange rind) and is much more palatable and pleasant to the taste/smell sensation. It's a flavor "enhancer", really not meant to be a flavoring by itself.
Vanilla is a flavor that demands using a low-as-possible amount, just enough to lend it's "essence" without being overpowering.

Last edited:

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Thanks for the great info! You have probably saved me a lot of
time and money.

Thanks too for the search part--I didn't realize you could search
for tags...I'm still a newbie...:oops:
That's ok, these things are kind of hard to absorb all at once. Go here:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/
Go down to the bottom of the page, there is a "Tag Cloud" that features searches 'tagged' with about 40 Thread searches. These are some of the older posts, some back to 2008, so is much reading in almost every subject. Enjoy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread