• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Recomenations and cost advice for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definatley want to try these things, I smoke about 12.5 grams of Golden Virginia a day (the smallest pack I think), before that I was B&H, a pack a day
sometimes more, so I am obviously looking for something which will give a simiilar experience. It would be nice to hear from someone of a similar 'addict level';):D

I also want to do the maths on cost obviously there will be some fixed costs
such as the physical cigarette(s?) and then the 'tobacco liquid' and perhaps also batteries?
I want to do a cost comparison, I smoke 'bootleg tobacco' so my (hopeful) cost saving will not be as a 'mug' who buys from a newsagent :nah:

Also no more papers, fillters, smoke and lighters for me hopefully!!
Hope to feel healthier too.

I have seen some recommendatins in other threads but it is a bit confusing for a newbie, you get it all mail order right?

Thanks a bunch! :cool:

Last edited:

yoshimi

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2009
Costa Rica
I was just about to come and post exactly the same thing, I'm a cutters choice smoker, getting through about 36g a week. (so it costs about £30 a month) I just ordered a Titan.

I've been working it out and I figure max costs;
1 new battery a month £10
1 new atty a month £10
30ml e-liquid £20

So top end costs work out to about £40

I think it will probably work out to 1 battery every couple of months as I plan on getting a usb pass through, and buying in bulk will cut down on those costs so I think I will probably break even, and probably re-coup initial costs in 6-12 months.

If you're smoking 12.5g a day that means you must be spending about £60 a month, so assuming you smoked a higher nic level your spend could be about the same?

Bare in mind though I haven't got my PV yet so this is all speculation on my part from reading around the forum. (Please someone correct me, as this is based on what I worked out for me and I was about to come and ask if I was about right anyway)

blackbug

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Berkshire, UK
www.eciggypedia.com
I used to smoke either Marlboro Lights or Golden Virginia, depending on how close to pay day it was. Not sure about the flavour of these things, but love them.

I think the best starter deal around at the moment is liberty flights (if you want to order from the UK). Pick up their 901 starter kit for £25, some 5ml juice samplers for £2.99 and a spare atomiser to avoid disapointment and you're laughing.

I wish I knew about them when I started. But then I don't think that would have stopped me buying stuff from absolutely everywhere :) Gonna be towards the end of next month before I even think about breaking even!

Jefflan

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
South Coast UK
Ditto what Rusty and Blackbug have said. I too smoked Cutters Choice. 3 50g pouches a week. Haven't had a single one since I started vaping. Still got 3 pouches in the cupboard.
Here is a link to that LF deal Electronic Cigarette - Starter Kits - Mini (DSE 901)

I would go for something like B+H 24mg liquid. Will give a great throat hit.:thumbs:

Kula

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Scotland
Hi Breno,

If you are genuinely concerned about long term costs then you should consider the ScrewDriver "mini".

It does seem a bit expensive for an initial outlay £100 but (depending on how serious you are about vaping and how heavily you vape) you could save serious money in the long term. Standard 901 batteries (ie liberty flights 901 etc) are between £8 and £10. Heavy users have found that the performance of this type of battery drops off fairly quickly and they end up chucking them after two to three weeks. SD batteries can be had for between £1 and £2 depending on quantities you buy and can last a couple of months.

Atomizers for the 901 are everywhere and with TW doing multipack buys at around £4 per atomizer you cant go wrong.

I started off with and Intellicig EVO (which I still rate very highly - I wanted to get an ecig that looked like a real cig) but I soon found limitations of batteries of that size - the constant charging/changing batteries got a bit of a hastle.

The ScrewDriver(SD) is (in my opinion) an excellent e-cig and has fulfilled my vaping needs completely and I will save more (in a relatively short time) the difference between buying a ScrewDriver and standard 901 starter pack.

Have a look at ecigscrewdriver.com

Hope this info helps you.

Kula.

NB I was a Cutters Choice rollup smoker - smoked between 12.5g and 20g a day.

I was just about to come and post exactly the same thing, I'm a cutters choice smoker, getting through about 36g a week. (so it costs about £30 a month) I just ordered a Titan.

I've been working it out and I figure max costs;
1 new battery a month £10
1 new atty a month £10
30ml e-liquid £20

So top end costs work out to about £40

I think it will probably work out to 1 battery every couple of months as I plan on getting a usb pass through, and buying in bulk will cut down on those costs so I think I will probably break even, and probably re-coup initial costs in 6-12 months.

If you're smoking 12.5g a day that means you must be spending about £60 a month, so assuming you smoked a higher nic level your spend could be about the same?

Bare in mind though I haven't got my PV yet so this is all speculation on my part from reading around the forum. (Please someone correct me, as this is based on what I worked out for me and I was about to come and ask if I was about right anyway)

So a battery only lasta month even though it is chargable?
Or expect to replace one every month?.
I spend £50 a month on tobacco alone, never mind papers and filters, although I get those cheaper now two.

Kula

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Scotland
Breno,

standard batteries can last many months but their performance over time diminishes - ie brand new fully charged may last 3 hours vaping but within three weeks or so of constant charging the fully charged performance decreases and a fully charged bat may only last 1 hour or less before needing charging (so if you vape for 16 hrs of the day and you are using worn/decreased capacity batteries you will be constantly charging and changing).

There is also the aspect of how long the battery maintains it peak performance from full charge (not sure of the correct science here but I am sure others can give full explanation - or do a search) ie fully charged gives the atomizer decent power - loads of vapour but this can drop away fairly quickly.

If you try some searches within the forum tools (using tags like "battery" "cost" etc) there is a wealth of information available - just takes a bit of work to find.

Kula.

Hi Breno,

If you are genuinely concerned about long term costs then you should consider the ScrewDriver "mini".

It does seem a bit expensive for an initial outlay £100 but (depending on how serious you are about vaping and how heavily you vape) you could save serious money in the long term. Standard 901 batteries (ie liberty flights 901 etc) are between £8 and £10. Heavy users have found that the performance of this type of battery drops off fairly quickly and they end up chucking them after two to three weeks. SD batteries can be had for between £1 and £2 depending on quantities you buy and can last a couple of months.

Atomizers for the 901 are everywhere and with TW doing multipack buys at around £4 per atomizer you cant go wrong.

I started off with and Intellicig EVO (which I still rate very highly - I wanted to get an ecig that looked like a real cig) but I soon found limitations of batteries of that size - the constant charging/changing batteries got a bit of a hastle.

The ScrewDriver(SD) is (in my opinion) an excellent e-cig and has fulfilled my vaping needs completely and I will save more (in a relatively short time) the difference between buying a ScrewDriver and standard 901 starter pack.

Have a look at

Hope this info helps you.

Kula.

NB I was a Cutters Choice rollup smoker - smoked between 12.5g and 20g a day.

Thanks for that Kula. very interesting, I am new to all of this so I want to try and avoid pitfalls.
It is an interesting aspect about the batteries, as 90% of my smoking is done in the home, the look of the cigarette or the size of the battery are not an issue with me, it just has to be functional. Indeed I am not too keen on the idea a of batteries at all!! What I would like to see is some sort of mains adaptor so I could do without batteries altogeather.
I am thinking along the line off my 'rechargeable' electric shaver, yes it is rechargble but it don't hold the charge well so I end up uisng it with it connected to the mains adaptor. That's not a problem as I am usually seated in the same spot anyway, also it is similar to having a wired or wireless computer mouse, I have a wired one cos I don't fancy wasting a pile of money on batteries.
So it seems to me it should be easy enough to make a 'wired' ecigarette and dispose of batteries altogeather, either wired to a mains adaptor or to some cheap ordinary household battery, those £1 shops seem to able to make batteries for 1/10 of of the cigarette companies!!
(I used to pay £5 for a watch battery untill the poundshop were selling them at 40 fo £1!! less than 1% of the price I was paying, OK most were the wrong size but I still save a fortune and I could adapt some of them, afterall al you are doing is making a connection to either side.

Anyway thanks for the link, another forum to read :D
I am looking at doing some serious cost cutting.

With all things, when they are made in bulk it baiscally comes down to the cost of the raw materials.

Kula

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Scotland
If you truly only want to vape indoors and don't mind being attached to a wire then an obvious option is the USB passthrough

Silver Steel Mini eCigarette USB PassThrough Battery [DSE901] - £19.99 : E-Cigs.co.uk, Online Store

the one above is for a 901(again the good thing about the 901 is the availability of atomizers and carts etc from loads of different suppliers) but you also get them for Titan's (JOYE510). The passthrough will negate the need for batteries altogether (you could get a couple of normal batts when out and about - or a USB portable power pack).

I don't personally have a USB passthrough so perhaps another forum member may be able to advise you more thoroughly (or do a search for USB Passthrough)

Kula.

karenrcg

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2008
Derbyshire, UK
Have you considered the Janty stick? It can be used as a pass through and the battery has a good 4-6 hours vaping time when out of the house, the batterys are also alot cheaper to replace at about £3 each. I started out with a 901 and although they are ok I just found the batteries too unreliable. The Janty stick is more expensive to start with than a 901 but you it will save you money in the long run.
http://www.ivapour.co.uk/janty-stick-1.html

Last edited:

frogbmth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Dorset, UK
www.jantyclub.com
Nothing is passing through anything, its just a USB power source. I agree the Jantystick is a good thing to consider. Batteries are real cheap and it has USB built in so its very cheap when you compare it to the 901+USB+extra batteries

I would imagine you would use more e-liquid than 30ml per month, probably more like 50ml. You could also consider the Iolite, it doesnt use batteries or atomizers and you can use e-liquid or tobacco in it. Its much more expensive up front but as cheap as it gets long term, comes with a 2 year warranty and keeps your options open if you run out of liquid. It might not be for you but take a look at it.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread