Status
Not open for further replies.

xanderxman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Ptown, VA
I am looking for my first rba. I have decided to take the plunge. I was looking at the AGA initially but I can't find it in stock anywhere I look. I am ready to order now. What other RBAs are out there similar to the AGA?

What I am looking for is something in the 3 - 5 ml capacity range that can be rebuilt with SS mesh and kanthal. I am using a ProVari so I would like something that compliments it but that is not a must. I would like to stay under $100 but would prefer under $50 if possible. I know this probably means a clone but I am fine with that right now. I want to see if I can build a proper wick/coil first before dropping more than $100 on an rba.

I am ready to buy now so I would prefer not to have to wait on a list but am willing to do so if necessary.

I am new to RBAs so I don't have any idea what else is out there. I am obviously aware of the more expensive RBAs but I would like to test out a less expensive version first to see if I am rba material.

peacepipe

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2012
chicago
I'm new to the whole RBA thing too. Not by choice, but because EVERY ATOMIZER IN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE IS COMPLETE CRAP!!! Whew sorry had to get that out of the way. So, what I'm doing now may be of some interest to you, I'm starting out with rebuilding my Vivi nova heads (who cares if I break them)

Then I'm going to order a dripping RBA and practice on that, because without the tank there is one less thing to worry about, namely the wicking materiel needed to fight gravity, and if you go with the ss mesh you need to be concerned with some conductivity issues.

That's my evolution into the whole thing; Vivi > Dripping RBA > Genesis Tank!

xanderxman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Ptown, VA
I have considered rebuilding my Novas but I have given up on that idea. It seems to be kind of counter-productive in learning to rebuild a genny style atty. It is an entirely different process. Not saying you are wrong for doing it, just that it ain't for me.

I have avoided dripping like the plague. It is too involved for me. I want to fill a tank and go. I am very active at work and at home in the evenings. Dripping would become a chore for me and I just don't want to go there.

And I feel you on the atty problems. I do love my Novas but I just see the possibilities in RBAs and want to go there myself.

peacepipe

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2012
chicago
I want to fill a tank and go.
:)

I thought the same thing when I decided to buy a Reo bottom feeder, it was a beautiful thing at first. Then came the GREAT ATTY DROUGHT! I swear to God that I would still be using it if I could find an atty that lasted longer than 2-days. It was my only option for heavy VG juices like Boba's Bounty etc.

I have considered rebuilding my Novas but I have given up on that idea. It seems to be kind of counter-productive in learning to rebuild a genny style atty. It is an entirely different process. Not saying you are wrong for doing it, just that it ain't for me.

I have avoided dripping like the plague. It is too involved for me. I want to fill a tank and go. I am very active at work and at home in the evenings. Dripping would become a chore for me and I just don't want to go there.

And I feel you on the atty problems. I do love my Novas but I just see the possibilities in RBAs and want to go there myself.

You are correct...I can rebuild a perfect vivi nova everytime..AGA took many attempts, when you jump into ss mesh, god be with you..

JiGGLiN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
Los Angeles
I am looking for my first RBA. I have decided to take the plunge. I was looking at the AGA initially but I can't find it in stock anywhere I look. I am ready to order now. What other RBAs are out there similar to the AGA?

What I am looking for is something in the 3 - 5 ml capacity range that can be rebuilt with SS mesh and kanthal. I am using a ProVari so I would like something that compliments it but that is not a must. I would like to stay under $100 but would prefer under $50 if possible. I know this probably means a clone but I am fine with that right now. I want to see if I can build a proper wick/coil first before dropping more than $100 on an RBA.

I am ready to buy now so I would prefer not to have to wait on a list but am willing to do so if necessary.

I am new to RBAs so I don't have any idea what else is out there. I am obviously aware of the more expensive RBAs but I would like to test out a less expensive version first to see if I am RBA material.

I'm in the exact same situation. I'd like to explore the would of RBAs as well. Rather then create a new thread, I thought it would be a good idea to keep the Q & A's on one thread....hope you don't mind. :)

Like peacepipe I'm am rebuilding my vivi's and evods with success and want to pick up a "beginner's dripping RBA...IGO-L?- for tasting new flavors at home.

Like xanderxman, I want one with a capacity when on the go. One thing I want though is one that I can use with cotton. Reason being it's cheap and easy access and SS mesh seems a bit too advanced for me...for now. Does one for a beginner exist without breaking the bank?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It took me 3 weeks of very on-again, off-again attention from me, but the last three days have been wonderful vaping bliss. I've got the AGA T2. It took my third coil wrap and my second SS wick to finally get there, but now I get it. The flavor and the vapor are reminescent of the first couple of drags from an analog from what I recall. I was so impressed that I ordered my second AGA a couple nights ago from Mountain Oak Vapors. My Vapor Store has the AGA T2 also, but the pyrex tank is extra there.

Do your research. Watch videos of mesh preparation and rolling, and wrapping coils. Zen's video of the ZAP for Provape is stellar in learning how to pulse the coil and finding/eliminating shorts or "hot legs". Realize that your first attempts will not be stellar, and each time you re-do one it will be better than the last.

I've found my Provari to be invaluable in preparing the coil. Of course it can read the resistance. And being able to prime the coil with progressively higher pulses is ideal. It is able to "see" shorts in the coil that I can't by giving me an error code. I prod the coil as Zen does in the above video, and soon the Provari is satisfied, and I know it is then ready for the juice. I bought a multimeter specifically for use with the AGA and I haven't even taken it out of the box, the Provari can do it all.

I'm still a noob when comes to a rebuildable. If you have questions, there are plenty of helpful, supportive, and experienced people here willing to give their time helping new users. Take advantage of it. It will be worth it.

The wire and mesh that comes in the AGA kit is of questionable quality. If I knew then what I know now, I would put that aside and order mesh and wire in a quantity, you'll need it eventually anyway and it's not that expensive. You might also be able to find pre-wound SS wicks ready to use. A mini-torch will make it easier to oxidize the mesh and wire.

I used 30g wire and 500 mesh which I got from RTD Vapor.

Last edited:

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
I was able to pick up a Cobra clone "chobra I believe members call it). With my emoyee discount it only cost $5 usd.
It came with a SS mesh installed and one extra.

Last night I didn't try to use it because I wanted to learn more first. Baditudes suggestion on the Zen from provari was a good reminder.

Now the main question is what wife and what wick? I'm going to be using it on straight mechanical mods and also a Provari. I'm going to want to try and wrap to get around 1.8-2.0 ohms. Juice will be all 70PG/30VG.

I'm sorry to hijack the OP's thread but I just noticed some of my question here also.
Thank in advance. Also need the suppliers for wire and mesh.

First attempt with a Phoenix clone was a disaster. Hoping the Chobra is easier.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
Can't help you with the wick, but regarding wife, I'd say ship all your orders to your work place. Or you might find yourself on the couch.

(consider this a "reply to sub")

:lol: :lol: :lol: I had to think about your response for a bit. When I finally realized what I had posted it should have been "wire and mesh" We aren't married. (don't blame me cause I had her and the preacher ready to go.). Been together for 18+years. She is good with anything I do that will help the both of us. (Got to say I got one fantastic Lady). Did I mention that I love that little trud. ;)

Ink Stained

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
LEXINGTON KY
I thought long and hard, because I too wanted the aga, couldn't find it. Ended up getting a "griffin", do yourself a favor, order a roll of 30g kanthol and a 12x12 sheet of mesh off of ebay before you sit down with any of them. Maybe mine came with crap wire, but i popped 3 coils with the wire that came with it. Felt way too small, and I couldn't get a coil over 1 ohm. Even doing the "twisted wire" coil I was very very displeased with my results........Then came my kanthol and SS mesh off of ebay, right off the bat with a 4/5 wrap I got 1.4-1.8 ohms after finishing the coil and wick it stayed at 1.5, right where I wanted, with no hotspots. And for around 40 bucks Ive got a rba, and enough wick and coil for the next year or 2........untill I end up with 10 more rbas hahaha. I really don't know why people have problems with SS, I didnt even oxidize the bottom half of my wick, just don't let it hit the bottom of the tank. If they ever keep the darn ac9s in stock I will order one, if not and a co op for a clone comes Ill just get one there. I missed the last one because I was too lazy to get on here and get verified....ramble rant over

pixelchick

APV Coterie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2012
Kansas City
I'm a total RBA noob but I really wanted to move beyond my Vivi, so I bought a Vision Eternity RBA. I watched many youtube videos on RBAs and they all seemed so labor-intensive...all this coil-building and such....then I came across PBusardo's youtube review of the Eternity and I was sold. It's so simple, easy-peasy! Yes, it has a bit of a cool vape but I blow clouds with it so it's satisfying to me.

Here's the link to the vid: A PBusardo Review - Vision Eternity RBA - YouTube

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
Now the main question is what wife and what wick? I'm going to be using it on straight mechanical mods and also a Provari. I'm going to want to try and wrap to get around 1.8-2.0 ohms. Juice will be all 70PG/30VG.

For that ohm range, go with 32g. It's fast and more responsive than 30 or 28, and you'll get that ohm range with 4-5 wraps.

tenshi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
United States

32g is good but I recommend 30g 5/6 wrap, it always puts me in the ballpark of 1.5 ohms on my provari. If you go straight mechanical can easily go with 28g for lower resistance.

Last edited:

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I'm new to the whole RBA thing too. Not by choice, but because EVERY ATOMIZER IN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE IS COMPLETE CRAP!!! Whew sorry had to get that out of the way. So, what I'm doing now may be of some interest to you, I'm starting out with rebuilding my Vivi nova heads (who cares if I break them)

Then I'm going to order a dripping RBA and practice on that, because without the tank there is one less thing to worry about, namely the wicking materiel needed to fight gravity, and if you go with the ss mesh you need to be concerned with some conductivity issues.

That's my evolution into the whole thing; Vivi > Dripping RBA > Genesis Tank!

I recently jumped into the rebuildables but since I loved the Vivi Novas, decided to start with the inexpensive drunker tanks. It's been a lot of fun making cotton wicks and coils. What is fun is going to all the trouble and they work great. I haven't had a short yet. It seems like I see a lot of people reselling their brand new RBA's which are genesis style and that makes me wonder if they are so great if they are hard to get working right. I think I'm ready to try one out though also, but definitely not going to spend a fortune on one and then have to sell it out of frustration. Thanks for the thread on it that I can stalk :) Good luck! Just keep in mind if you have a hard time, there are others out there that so far has seemed fail safe.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
32g is good but I recommend 30g 5/6 wrap, it always puts me in the ballpark of 1.5 ohms on my provari. If you go straight mechanical can easily go with 28g for lower resistance.
Like tenshi, I use 30g. I like the cooler, smoother vape so I add another additional loop or two for 2.0 ohms.

I test the ohms on the Provari before cutting the end of the wire, that way if the ohm is too low, I can loosen the thumb screw and add another loop to the coil; or if the ohm is too high, I take a loop out. When I have the ohm I want, I tighten the thumb screw and snip off the excess.

By the way, I wrap the coil on the wick before placing it in the wick hole of the AGA, much easier that way. Once wrapped, then I put it in the AGA, connect the negative wire end to the ground screw and the other end to the thumb screw. Check the ohm.

Last edited:

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I spent a ridiculous amount of money... well, for what happened... on two atomizers to use testing juice and proceeded to burn them both on first try. I've been looking at these (Bulldog and Eternity) RBAs and they seem to solve that problem but I am way, way, small muscles challenged plus afraid I would whined up shorting my ego with anything I built myself so what I want is an atty with a well like those two with long wicks laying in the 1 mil of juice cup so less likely I would burn it up... but that I can buy the atty portion already built and just wash or change out for testing. Does such a thing exist? I could swear I saw one that cost $2.50 for replacements but can't recall where I saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread