Recommendations for a HIGHLY durable 18650 mod (doesn't have to be high watt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robford4prez016

Jan 12, 2019
Hi,

My sigeli 150w TC has seen better days. It's about 4 years old now, and I am starting to worry about it's internal integrity. I work at a factory with hard cement floors, and I am not the most graceful individual, so durability is a must. My sigeli has stood the test of time, but technology has come a long way since I bought it; I'm sure. I just ordered more 18650 batteries, so I would really have to be in love with a mod for it not to use them. Looking mostly for the best durable, bang-for-my-buck mod. (I didn't even use the TC, by the way.) I use sub-ohm tanks exclusively. I appreciate any feedback!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Welcome to ECF.
My vote would be the Aegis Legend dual 18650. If you can find one a Smoant Battlestar dual 18650 is another durable mod. Squid industries Double Barrel v3 would be a great work mod as well, dual 18650 and a simple chip. Pocket friendly too.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
The Dicodes mods are hard anodised aluminium, the only commercial mod using this special surface as it is extremely expensive, even when done industrially.
It is the hardest and stronger coating you can achieve on a metal. As matter of fact, it is constituted by an aluminium oxyde, akin to sapphire, with all advantages of the material. Extremely hard to wear, it will not show aging.
I consider it superior to the rubber of the Aegis.
But, considered the price difference, and the fact that I am a TC Vaper and Dicodes fan boy, you can consider the above advice to be very partial.
Truth is, a couple years ago I realised that having a mod in my hand most of the day, I had developed a low intensity skin problem in the palm of the hand.
Continued contact with plastic polymers and painted metal were the cause.

This is when I set on leather / wood of Therion and HA aluminium of the Dani box. This solved the sensitivity problem, and made me realise the importance of the material, just as the material of my clothes is.

Reactions: Doffy

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Single battery sub ohm... those two generally go poorly together. I’m going to buck the trend and say legend. It’s much larger than the ageis but battery life will be vastly improved because it’s a two battery mod. Either is a good choice for you though I think.

If you really really must have a small single 18650, and you just don’t care about battery life, a jac vapor sandstorm might do the trick. They are pretty small. I really think either of the ageises will work better for you though because there’s more room for battery.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The Dicodes mods are hard anodised aluminium, the only commercial mod using this special surface as it is extremely expensive, even when done industrially.
It is the hardest and stronger coating you can achieve on a metal. As matter of fact, it is constituted by an aluminium oxyde, akin to sapphire, with all advantages of the material. Extremely hard to wear, it will not show aging.
I consider it superior to the rubber of the Aegis.
But, considered the price difference, and the fact that I am a TC Vaper and Dicodes fan boy, you can consider the above advice to be very partial.
Truth is, a couple years ago I realised that having a mod in my hand most of the day, I had developed a low intensity skin problem in the palm of the hand.
Continued contact with plastic polymers and painted metal were the cause.

This is when I set on leather / wood of Therion and HA aluminium of the Dani box. This solved the sensitivity problem, and made me realise the importance of the material, just as the material of my clothes is.
Um... adonized aluminum is pretty common. The thickness of the aluminum oxide coating can vary though. Perhaps you are claiming a special extra thick layer?

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
Um... adonized aluminum is pretty common. The thickness of the aluminum oxide coating can vary though. Perhaps you are claiming a special extra thick layer?
yeah that's what hard means ,, hard anodised means thicker layer
same with hard gold or other materials

everyone raves about how good dicodes mods are but i think they look poor styled for the cost and only upto 80w on their top chip but, each to there own i wouldn't spend that on one of their mods

i have know idea how shock resistant and their construction so cant say

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
yeah that's what hard means ,, hard anodised means thicker layer
same with hard gold or other materials

everyone raves about how good dicodes mods are but i think they look poor styled for the cost and only upto 80w on their top chip but, each to there own i wouldn't spend that on one of their mods

i have know idea how shock resistant and their construction so cant say
A thicker layer isn’t always good because sapphire is quite brittle. Also gold is generally extremely soft for a metal. Hard gold plating seems to be an electronics engineering term, and refers to the alloying of gold with a harder metal. The actual thickness of soft gold plating is often higher than with hard gold, if only by a tiny amount. Makes more sense for gold fill. The jewelry industry is full of marketing BS though so it’s hard to say.
https://advancedplatingtech.com/blog/hard-gold-plating-vs-soft-gold-plating/

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
A thicker layer isn’t always good because sapphire is quite brittle. Also gold is generally extremely soft for a metal. Hard gold plating seems to be an electronics engineering term, and refers to the alloying of gold with a harder metal. The actual thickness of soft gold plating is often higher than with hard gold, if only by a tiny amount. Makes more sense for gold fill. The jewelry industry is full of marketing BS though so it’s hard to say.
https://advancedplatingtech.com/blog/hard-gold-plating-vs-soft-gold-plating/
thanks

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
lol yep pretty much.... the aegis legend, you can't go wrong, it takes a beating and keeps on ticking
I'm hoping they make a squonk mod :D
That would be really hard to do and keep their milspec rating. Particularly the shake and drop tests. If they got together with dovepo and did a milspec topside kind of thing it might work though.
Dovepo has the inside line on functional non squishy bottle squonking atm.

Iirc there was talk from a geek vape rep a day or two ago asking vague questions about maybe doing a removable battery version of the ageis mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread