Status
Not open for further replies.

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
PA
My provari and SVD arrive in the mail tomorrow and I'm looking to purchase an rba for these regulated devices. This seems like an optimal way to enjoy these delivery at home and I'd like to get something I'll be very happy with and would complement these well.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Trident. Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The only RBA experience I have is with a couple of AGA-T2 RBAs for my two Provari's. I've read that this is an intermediate-difficulty level RBA, with the RSST being one of the easiest (it only has a plastic tank, while the AGA-T2 has pyrex). I build 2.0 ohm coils with 30g kanthal wire and use SS mesh for wicks.

I recommend that you have a backup juice attachment (clearomizer or cartotank) in addition to whatever RBA/RDA you choose.

Here's a resource of information for RBAs: Information Resources for Your First RBA

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I use a kayfun lite on my provari...its hands down, the best cape I've been able to get yet. Its an easy build using a micro coil and cotton. I like 1.2-1.5 ohms which the provari handles no problem. I have an AGA T+ thats good but a trickier build and you have to tilt and position the wick right before taking a draw. I have an IGO W for dripping. Its fine if you like dripping. Both the AGA T & IGO need the air holes drilled out. The kayfun is perfect out of the box. The Russian 91 is another good option. They cost much more but IMO well worth it .

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Just to clarify KurrptSenate...

Your Trident, along with - Vortex, Nimbus, A7, Cyclone, Helios, Castle, Phoenix etc etc... those would be considered RDAs or, rebuildable dripping atomizers. Other than a small "juice well", they don't have a juice reservoir of any kind and require that the user drip in juice after every few draws.

RBAs - Various Kayfuns, Squape, Ithaka, DID, Prometheus, AGA T2/3, Kracken and Bad's RSST - for lack of a better one sentence description, they all have a tank or reservoir (some quite large) and wick to feed what is essentially an internal or top mounted (genesis) RDA type arrangement.

Perhaps get a few clones... decide what's best for your needs, then throw down cash for the original version.

KrisAinTX

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Central Texas
The only RBA experience I have is with a couple of AGA-T2 RBAs for my two Provari's. I've read that this is an intermediate-difficulty level RBA, with the RSST being one of the easiest (it only has a plastic tank, while the AGA-T2 has pyrex). I build 2.0 ohm coils with 30g kanthal wire and use SS mesh for wicks.

I recommend that you have a backup juice attachment (clearomizer or cartotank) in addition to whatever RBA/RDA you choose.

Here's a resource of information for RBAs: Information Resources for Your First RBA

How do you keep your AGAs from shorting? No matter what I do, I've always got a short. I think it's at the wick hole, because it's not insulated from the mesh wick at all. Any advice would be appreciated. I've done 7-8 different builds that work, but the resistance jumps all over the map.

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
PA
Just to clarify KurrptSenate...

Your Trident, along with - Vortex, Nimbus, A7, Cyclone, Helios, Castle, Phoenix etc etc... those would be considered RDAs or, rebuildable dripping atomizers. Other than a small "juice well", they don't have a juice reservoir of any kind and require that the user drip in juice after every few draws.

RBAs - Various Kayfuns, Squape, Ithaka, DID, Prometheus, AGA T2/3, Kracken and Bad's RSST - for lack of a better one sentence description, they all have a tank or reservoir (some quite large) and wick to feed what is essentially an internal or top mounted (genesis) RDA type arrangement.

Perhaps get a few clones... decide what's best for your needs, then throw down cash for the original version.

thanks for clarifying. i do think ill get both a RDA and an RBA in the near future. i'm sure it would be much better than using my Kanger

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
thanks for clarifying. i do think ill get both a RDA and an RBA in the near future. i'm sure it would be much better than using my Kanger
There ya' go... don't know till you try. Read up - practically every popular atomizer made has fans and support in the RBA sub-forum... which includes RDAs.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    To start with you need to understand that the term "RBA" is a generic term that covers a lot of ground.

I first started looking at the idea of RBA's because of the threat of FDA regulations making it impossible to get the products that I already liked to use. I wasn't looking for something "better". I was looking for something that I could build myself that vaped the same as what I was already using.
    So what your intended use of a RBA is plays an important role in which kind of RBA would be best for you, and there can be many reasons for wanting to investigate using a RBA.
    A ZAP/ZAU can be exactly the type of RBA a person is looking for, or maybe a Phoenix style RDA would be more what a person is looking for, or maybe just a Protank. There is no shortage of different kinds of RBA's to choose from.
    For me the Pegasus (A7) was what I wanted. I can make it vape exactly the same as my old 510 type dripping atty of choice.

So what do you want your RBA to do???????

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    How do you keep your AGAs from shorting? No matter what I do, I've always got a short. I think it's at the wick hole, because it's not insulated from the mesh wick at all. Any advice would be appreciated. I've done 7-8 different builds that work, but the resistance jumps all over the map.
    I've never had shorts originating from the wick. The part of the wick that the coil goes around should be oxidized with a flame, and that prevents any shorts from the wick.

Most likely any shorts will come from the coil itself, either from individual coils having a hot spot or the upper leg to the center post having a hot spot. Bending the wick/coil toward the center post might help. The AGA is notorious for having the top thumb screw become loose, so always insure it it tight.

Best video I have found for finding hot spots and tips to get rid of them was this video: Z-ATTY-PRO Rebuildable Atomizers For ProVari - YouTube

Last edited:

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 9, 2013
    PA
    So what do you want your RBA to do???????

give me bulbous clouds of vapor while delivering a spectacular taste. pretty simple i think

I definitely want an RDA for home, but if an RBA could give me a similar experience on the go but without being able to change flavors as regularly, that would be good too

InTheShade

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 26, 2013
    South Texas
    I started with an IGO-L as my first RDA. It has a large deck for easier building and the drip cup holds about a ml of juice (or maybe a little more if you include the juice in the wicks) so it's quite forgiving if you overdrip (as I did) during the beginning phase of learning the ins and outs of it.

This, together with the low price and decent quality, I think it was the perfect 'starter' RDA.

Even though I am positioning it as a starter RDA, I still use mine regularly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread