Recommended wire build for flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2018
Racine,WI
I just started building about a week ago. I have the ghost rda and I’ve been using the coils that come with it. Honestly I get better flavor from my tfv8 tank and smok Q2 drop in coils.. the flavor from this rda just isn’t what I expected at all.. it’s totally muted. Now I’m sure it can’t be the rda (maybe partially) but I’d expect it still to be better than a tank. So I really think it’s the coils/wire that come with this rda. It doesn’t state the ohm( comes out to .31 on a dual coil build according to my mod readings) or anything for these coils. And the ramp up time takes forever, I mean it just sucks how long I have to hold the fire button. Just think they are cheap. I plan on using SS wiring but can’t decide if I should get just standard wire, fused Clapton, alien, I don’t really want a 7 in 1 coilology kit because I want the practice wrapping my own. What type of coils do you all use, flavor chasing. Could care less about clouds.
154BB288-8991-44C5-A943-5473873BE27E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Justin L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2018
Racine,WI
For flavor you want single wires I think. Or maybe a twist if you need to. Exotic coils add cloud but do zero for flavor. As to the atty I know nothing at all about the ghost though

I think the standard tip for flavor is 22 thru 26 gauge SS. Wrapped single wire spaced iirc. Duals or not depending on the RDA.

But I'm the guy running a single 28g SS coil at .9ohms in my Drop because I messed up the wrap count :) so YMMV
Thankyou, since you both recommend single wire I’m guessing you mean something like this SS 316L - 100 ft. 26 Gauge AWG Stainless Steel Resistance Wire 0.40 mm 26g 100’ 605930535631 | eBay

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I agree with a single wire spaced coil. Also with the Ghost Inhale RDA get the coils as close to the airfliw as possible without hitting the deck and centered over the airflow. Personally I don't care for bottom airflow RDAs even though I have a few. Also for flavor you can try playing with the wattage. Higher wattages, in general, will give bigger clouds but kill flavor.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Yea like others have stated, keep it simple. I personally like twisted just for a little extra surface area. I’m currently using a 316l ss 22&28 gauge twisted. 4mm id 7/8 wraps. It’s a contact and working well but I usually do spaced coils. AVS has some great ss coils of all sorts. You can do like I did and buy some different exotic coils just to try out. I came to the conclusion that they were no better than a twisted coil and sometimes worse with the slow ramp up. I like vaping at lower wattage so maybe that’s why, if you like high wattage maybe exotic coils will be better for you.

Justin L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2018
Racine,WI
Yea like others have stated, keep it simple. I personally like twisted just for a little extra surface area. I’m currently using a 316l ss 22&28 gauge twisted. 4mm id 7/8 wraps. It’s a contact and working well but I usually do spaced coils. AVS has some great ss coils of all sorts. You can do like I did and buy some different exotic coils just to try out. I came to the conclusion that they were no better than a twisted coil and sometimes worse with the slow ramp up. I like vaping at lower wattage so maybe that’s why, if you like high wattage maybe exotic coils will be better for you.
Thank-you!! Is there a YT video you can link that shows what you mean by twisted?

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
22 gauge single works well for me. 24 26 also not a huge difference maybe even better. I thought the same way you did when I got my first rda ended up being the VCC cotton I was using. Switching to cotton bacon made a huge flavor difference. So if your using the cotton that might have came with your rda or just some low end cotton that could be the problem. And that's a ghost inhale rda I believe.

Justin L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2018
Racine,WI
22 gauge single works well for me. 24 26 also not a huge difference maybe even better. I thought the same way you did when I got my first rda ended up being the VCC cotton I was using. Switching to cotton bacon made a huge flavor difference. So if your using the cotton that might have came with your rda or just some low end cotton that could be the problem. And that's a ghost inhale rda I believe.
Yea I actually just ordered cotton bacon prime and this wire, looks like the right stuff. And I can use this too make a twisted coils right it won’t be too thick or anything?
SS 316L - 100 ft. 26 Gauge AWG Stainless Steel Resistance Wire 0.40 mm 26g 100’ 605930535631 | eBay
it's rather simple,secure one end of the wire to something like a nail,the other end in a drill and twist ,thats the short and sweet version
It does look very simple actually, I watched this video so will try this way.

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
Determine the type of vape you like..practice and experiment with different setups. I use SS 316L and SS430 and TI 1 26g and wrap single spaced coils from .3-.9 Ω with rayon or cotton. Once positioned and wicked properly for the particular atty and the temp/watts dialed in for the joose it is off to the races. It just takes some persistance

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
Yea I actually just ordered cotton bacon prime and this wire, looks like the right stuff. And I can use this too make a twisted coils right it won’t be too thick or anything?
SS 316L - 100 ft. 26 Gauge AWG Stainless Steel Resistance Wire 0.40 mm 26g 100’ 605930535631 | eBay

It does look very simple actually, I watched this video so will try this way.

I would heat the wire with a torch or something after twisting and before wrapping a coil. Stainless steel twisted becomes really springy and a little difficult to work with.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
I can't believe you haven't topped the flavor chart in a week, just kiddin. Flavor is a tough nut to crack, atty, air flow, drip tip, coil material, size, wrap, coil height, ohms. It just take some experience, but for starters I would began with a single coil and figure out the air flow of your atty. Remember usually less air makes more flavor, more air makes clouds.

A simple clapton wire 26/36 SS316L 2.5mm 6 wrap will put you at a .6Ω and firm not tight wick will get you started.

Last edited:

Justin L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2018
Racine,WI
I can't believe you haven't topped the flavor chart in a week, just kiddin. Flavor is a tough nut to crack, atty, air flow, drip tip, coil material, size, wrap, coil height, ohms. It just take some experience, but for starters I would began with a single coil and figure out the air flow of your atty. Remember usually less air makes more flavor, more air makes clouds.
Lol I wish. I realize it’s going to take a lot. But i heard i shouldn’t use just 1 coil on this atty (inhale ghost rda) supposedly has best performance using dual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread