Recycling used plastic bottles to store liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

1/2 fast

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
SW Ohio
Using mostly Kayfuns and Russians I reuse plastic bottles that I can put “needle” caps on on to refill my tanks. Haven’t yet found a way to refill them with a dropper from a glass bottle.

I rinse the plastic bottles out with hot water and let sit with no cap to air out several times then fill from the glass dropper bottles. Been doing this for years and haven’t noticed a problem yet. YMMV of course depending on the juice you use.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Using mostly Kayfuns and Russians I reuse plastic bottles that I can put “needle” caps on on to refill my tanks. Haven’t yet found a way to refill them with a dropper from a glass bottle.

I rinse the plastic bottles out with hot water and let sit with no cap to air out several times then fill from the glass dropper bottles. Been doing this for years and haven’t noticed a problem yet. YMMV of course depending on the juice you use.
I use almost exclusively glass. I do use one plastic bottle with a needle cap that I carry in my purse and I rinse with hot water as well and if I feel it is getting "funky" I chuck it..

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
How would you clean a plastic bottle thoroughly, to eradicate any previous smell or physical trace
of the liquid it held previously?

Ya know... Plastic Bottles are pretty Cheap to Buy. And Glass Bottles aren't all that much more.

So for the Price of 1 Pack of Cigarettes, you could get a Bunch of New Plastic Bottles. Or a Few Glass Bottles that could be used an Infinite Numbers of times.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Provided you exercise good care and judgement with the caps, of course. LOL, I mention that for the clumsy that stumble among us.

Even after mis-threading a few caps, it's still cheaper. Trying to find a place where I can get some good, inexpensive 90 ml or 120 ml bottles, and open to suggestions. Now that I'm DIY with ease, I'd really like some larger bottles (amber preferably) that won't break the bank.

By all rights with my fine motor tremor I should be using those squeeze bottles with the needle top points, but I just plain don't love plastic. (Except for my drinking glasses, which I reluctantly use because you give me enough time, I will drop a glass).

I wonder if they make pyrex drinking glasses? All my plates are pyrex and those hold up great.

Anna

s.Charles

Unresolved Status
Feb 3, 2018
www.eliquids.ml
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Provided you exercise good care and judgement with the caps, of course. LOL, I mention that for the clumsy that stumble among us.

Even after mis-threading a few caps, it's still cheaper. Trying to find a place where I can get some good, inexpensive 90 ml or 120 ml bottles, and open to suggestions. Now that I'm DIY with ease, I'd really like some larger bottles (amber preferably) that won't break the bank.

By all rights with my fine motor tremor I should be using those squeeze bottles with the needle top points, but I just plain don't love plastic. (Except for my drinking glasses, which I reluctantly use because you give me enough time, I will drop a glass).

I wonder if they make pyrex drinking glasses? All my plates are pyrex and those hold up great.

Anna

Anna I bought my larger glass bottles to store nicotine in at my freedom smokes. I thought the price was good.

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/unflavored-nicotine-mixing-supplies/bottles-caps.html

As far as op I just cleaned out some 20 ml plastic bottles yesterday with hot water and Dawn. And let air dry overnight. Just reused them for today’s experiments lol!

I prefer the plastic squeeze bottles for my mixes. It’s easier for me since I have MS and my hands tremble on occasion. It’s so much easier to refill than using an eye dropper imo.

sara

• Useful

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Cumulo Vapus - If you're wanting to use recycled plastic bottles, use LDPE, HDPE, or PP...because they don't leech plastic's chemicals into their contents. They're the bottles that are translucent, not totally clear and see-through. They're fine for reuse numerous times.

As mentioned by someone else, vinegar is good to clean them with, and personally, I've found that white vinegar has a less pungent odor. I've also used baking soda and hot tap water to clean a variety of bottles in the past.

PET bottles though, which ARE the totally clear ones (like plastic Coke bottles, etc.)...are manufactured for 1-time use only, as they have not been found to be leech-free. Quite a few vendors sell their eliquids, nic base, flavorings, etc. in PET bottles. I personally never reuse them because of the leeching potential.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
From Care2 Healthy Living website regarding which plastics are considered safe. LOTS of false information out there.

Attachments

• E4FEF885-23B9-4C7C-A11D-B9750E5189A3.jpeg
    E4FEF885-23B9-4C7C-A11D-B9750E5189A3.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 37

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I found this article informative; and I appreciated the external links (throughout) for supporting documentation.

As for washing bottles that were originally used for other than e-liquids:
--I would not re-use any container that did not have food safe contents.
--For those that did; I have washed with: hot water, vinegar, Dawn dish soap, pure grain alcohol (ethyl alcohol), or baking soda (one at a time; not all at once;)). It might require two or more before I was comfortable using them for e-liquid.
--I respect your desire to minimize waste @Cumulo Vapus, by re-purposing potentially usable items, but if you have any doubts to the item's safety... don't.

For containers that originally had commercial e-liquid; I personally find (usually) a thorough hot water rince is sufficient.

That's my :2c:
:D

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North

~snip~

When I was using Kayfuns, Lemos, and Orchids, I filled them with a syringe with an appropriate size Luer Lock needle. Just draw some from a glass bottle and "inject" it into the screw hole.

Last edited:

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I use mostly glass, and have a bunch from store-bought juice, but I still have some plastic. I rinse mine and fill with clean tap water and let them sit with the cap off. It is moderately effective, but some smell lingers, so I do what another person suggested and use the bottles for like flavors.

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
I use mostly glass, and have a bunch from store-bought juice, but I still have some plastic. I rinse mine and fill with clean tap water and let them sit with the cap off. It is moderately effective, but some smell lingers, so I do what another person suggested and use the bottles for like flavors.
me exactly. I am re-using and re-using all 120mls bottles that I bought full of ejuice and I just wash thoroughly in a soap bath and extra extra rinse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread