Red Oak (Johnson Creek) Solstice - Very interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2009
Admittedly, I'm a bit of a Red Oak junkie. So, I didn't give a second thought to adding Solstice to my cart, even though I'm not really a fruity or menthol fan.

If you're not familiar, here's the JC description:
"Perfectly suited for both the warm sunny day and for sitting around the campfire when the sun goes down. We start with fresh juicy watermelon then add a splash of raspberry and honeydew, and finish it off with a clean, crisp cooling ice.
This special Seasonal Flavor will only be available for a limited time, and only in 15mL size."

So, it arrived today, and I filled up a fresh carto and dropped it in to my V3. Similar to Valencia, the difference between 3.7V and 6V makes this a chameleon in terms of flavor.

At 3.7V
The watermelon and raspberry are definitely present, but not overpowering at all. I didn't really detect much in the way of honeydew or "cooling ice", though.

Very, very mellow tasting with a surprising nicotine kick. I checked the bottle to make sure they weren't selling Solstice as a 24mg.

Vapor production was about what you'd expect from Red Oak if you're already familiar with the rest of the line, and throat hit was a touch sharper than Tennessee Cured, but on par with Valencia.

Overall, much nicer and a little more "real" than fruit flavors I've tried from Dekang and VaporBomb.

At 6V
WOW! Now that's some cooling ice!

Solstice at 6V is so complex, you really need to think about it for a couple of minutes before you take in all of its nuances.

Right off the bat, you get hit hard with watermelon and raspberry, much more intense than 3.7V, but oddly, not burnt or strange tasting. It's the same flavor but more of it. In and out, there's a definite menthol feeling, but it tastes more minty than menthol on the exhale. As soon as the mint goes away, just a touch of honeydew stops by to say "Hi!".

Seriously, if Willy Wonka was developing juice, this would be a prototype.

Vapor production is awesome. Better than any other Red Oak juice I can think of, and I've tried almost all of them. Throat hit is similarly great.

Notes
A few things I noticed here...

Right off the bat, this smells like no other Red Oak juice. It's fruity and clean at the same time.

Exhaled vapor left my room smelling kind of nice, actually. It definitely lingers, and if you're planning on going stealth, leave this one at home.

For not liking menthol or fruit, this was really smooth, and a definite keeper. There's no way I'd go all day with this one, but it's a wonderful mixer.

If you haven't tried Red Oak before, now may be the time to try, before they run out.

Phreaker

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I started vaping in Dec so they didn't have this, but it's back. I just got it last night and was wondering what others though. I really like it. It reminds me of those "cooling berry" gums. It's not overpowering and the touch of cooling is really nice. I got my Trio with 2 Tennessee Cured and then added this. Normally I get two TCs and a Valencia. Their Red Oak line has turned into my favorite e-liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread