Red wrap on AW IMR 18650 peeling off

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
so on one of my AW IMR 18650 the red wrapping looks like it got so hot that it shrunk itself and about a dime size worth of metal is showing, is this safe to keep using? the battery seemed warm but not hot enough to really melt the wrapper. its exposed near the negative side. My coil inside aerotank was not showing any ohm reading but i didnt know that and was trying to fire it, i plugged the aerotank into ohm reader and it didnt show anything, then plugged battery into a volts reader and didnt show anything, i changed coil and the tank is working fine. but i don't know if i should use the battery, currently using a different 18650 just fine. by the way these were bought from rtdvaper and im using a omnitester reader, thanks guys!

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
I would not keep using it and dispose of it properly.

yeah i guess it would be better to buy another for 10$ just to be safe, also im not going to be using the volt reader on the omnitester i dont wanna risk anymore batteries. gunna use my vamo for checking volts i guess. sigh.

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
If a battery starts to get hot- especially hot enough to melt the shrink wrap, I can't imagine it is safe to use...

my batteries were getting hot from the volt reader, which is strange i dunno why its doing that. also i didnt think they were hot enough to melt the wrap, it kinda looks like it peeled but i didnt find any wrapping

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
my batteries were getting hot from the volt reader, which is strange i dunno why its doing that. also i didnt think they were hot enough to melt the wrap, it kinda looks like it peeled but i didnt find any wrapping

It might be ok but for $7-$10 to prevent damage to you or your device, it's money well spent IMHO.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Get it rewrapped at a local vape shop, if you cannot find a shop to rewrap it buy some battery wrap tubing and use a heat gun, I do it all of the time.

(18650 Battery) 29.5MM Φ18.5MM PVC HEAT SHRINK TUBING

i have a couple of batteries with torn wrappings. so i bought some heat-shrink tubing. just as im about to locate a heat gun, it dawns on me that im about to shoot some very hot air at my battery. is this safe? i was under the impression that batteries cant take extreme heat like a heat gun throws. perhaps there is a safe distance that the heat gun can be at from the battery and cause it to be safe. please advise. thanks :)

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
so i figured it out after ruining a second aw imr 18650, the coil in my aerotank wasn't reading any ohms. when i would fire it i wouldnt get a hit and battery would become hot to the touch after 1 quick attempt at a hit. kinda mad i have 2 ruined 18650s. i guess ill buy some wrap. well its 18350s for now, and i replaced the coil in aerotank and all is good.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
so i figured it out after ruining a second aw imr 18650, the coil in my aerotank wasn't reading any ohms. when i would fire it i wouldnt get a hit and battery would become hot to the touch after 1 quick attempt at a hit. kinda mad i have 2 ruined 18650s. i guess ill buy some wrap. well its 18350s for now, and i replaced the coil in aerotank and all is good.
Dude, you've got a serious short somewhere in your setup. I don't know if its the coil in your tank or somewhere in your mod, but you shouldn't be blowing two batteries in a row. Something's really wrong here.

A battery should never get warm to touch. If it is, you are either over-stressing the battery or there's a short in the setup. I personally would never use a battery again once it has gotten warm to touch. Irreversable internal damage to the cathodes can occur making it unsafe. It's not worth the risk IMHO.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
i have a couple of batteries with torn wrappings. so i bought some heat-shrink tubing. just as im about to locate a heat gun, it dawns on me that im about to shoot some very hot air at my battery. is this safe? i was under the impression that batteries cant take extreme heat like a heat gun throws. perhaps there is a safe distance that the heat gun can be at from the battery and cause it to be safe. please advise. thanks :)

how do you think the batteries we buy get wrapped in the first place?

if you do it fast enough and remove the heat applied and let it cool quickly, it shouldn't do any damage.

keeping a moist sponge around might help in the event you apply heat a smidge too long to one area.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
how do you think the batteries we buy get wrapped in the first place?

if you do it fast enough and remove the heat applied and let it cool quickly, it shouldn't do any damage.

keeping a moist sponge around might help in the event you apply heat a smidge too long to one area.

Awesome. Thanks for the tips.

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Dude, you've got a serious short somewhere in your setup. I don't know if its the coil in your tank or somewhere in your mod, but you shouldn't be blowing two batteries in a row. Something's really wrong here.

A battery should never get warm to touch. If it is, you are either over-stressing the battery or there's a short in the setup. I personally would never use a battery again once it has gotten warm to touch. Irreversable internal damage to the cathodes can occur making it unsafe. It's not worth the risk IMHO.

bumping this for anyone else who had this problem or searching for solution, it was the coil in my aerotank that had a short. sucks that it was a stock coil, but its a lesson learned!! i also believe that my volt reader on my omnitester stopped working at the same time so it was harder for me to narrow down which it was that was causing the problem. but it was the coil in my aerotank, besides two damaged batteries i gained some knowledge so not a complete loss imo! ill either have them rewrapped or just buy some new ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread