Reds busted for smokey celebration of first playoff appearance in 15 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's get one thing straight. I'm not a huge fan of baseball. But I do enjoy watching my hometown Minnesota Twins do well. This year, they are kicking some serious tuchus. But then, they've been doing that a lot. Playoff appearances are nothing new for the Twins. Winning a few series might be nice, but that's for a different thread.

The Cincinnati Reds however, have not been so lucky. They haven't seen the post-season world since 1995. A few days ago, however, that all changed. They clinched the NL Central and made the city of Cincy proud.

So, in a fit of unbridled joy and excitement, they retired to the club house and started spraying champagne everywhere. Reds Owner Bob Castellini passed out some victory cigars and many lit them up and started puffing.

And that's when the complaints started.

From other players who were there? No.
From members of the media who where there? No.
From stadium staff who was there? No.

The complaints came from 5 people who were sitting at home and watching on TV. They called the health department and complained that the Reds were in violation of Ohio's indoor smoking ban.

Seriously. As if they were watching an episode of "Survivor" and were calling in to vote off the villain du' jour, these people took it upon themselves to hop on their high horses and waggle the fingers via remote control.

I am reminded of a line from National Lampoon's Animal House when Dean Wormer is screaming at the Deltas following the disciplinary hearing. He shouts "NO MORE FUN OF ANY KIND". Yep. That's what we appear to have here. Smoking and smokers have been demonized to the point that there are some people sitting at home (possibly sucking down their 4th martini or polishing off their third bag of Fritos) thinking they have been appointed by God to pass judgment every time they see someone doing the naughty.

Sheesh. I remember when "doing the naughty" referred to premarital sex.

And really, you have to think that these are probably the same people who chant "quit or die" when the even hear the word cigarette. It doesn't matter how little harm is involved in various smoking cessation therapies, quit or die! It doesn't matter that harm can be significantly reduced thanks to new products and technologies, quit or die!

Here's another take on it. From Yahoo's sports blogs...
Busted! Reds reported after smoking victory cigars in clubhouse - Big League Stew - MLB. - Yahoo! Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread