Reducing metallic/burnt taste

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've come to realize that the best way to reduce that metallic taste when vaping is to both "top off" and drip at the same time (I'm using a generic penstyle here).

At first I tried just topping off the carts, but found the vapour to be thin and have a sub-optimal taste. Then I tried dripping alone. The first few puffs are nice but then if you keep vaping, towards the end it tastes burnt and raunchy. Sneaks up on you fast.

But combining the two works really nice IMO. The drips will instantly provide amazingly rich, intense, and voluminous clouds for the first bit, then the cart will seamlessly kick in to handle the later puffs once the drips have depleted.

Now of course, the draw will be a bit more difficult using this method, but one gets used to that and it's well worth it. Additionally, more juice may be used up as well but not by much.

Another nice benefit is that it doesn't require as much frequent juice filling
with this double-action, compared to either method alone.

Anyhow, that's my tip :)

satake

Nov 24, 2008
MT-USA
I use this method......it works! I've also found that using a syringe to fill carts from the bottom up seems to help. The small (orange top) juice bottles seem to "float" liquid on the cart media and most of smokers/vapers aren't patient enough to let it soak in and top it off again. I push the needle through the white stuff until it hits the bottom and then SLOWLY fill it up

Zach

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2008
Detroit, Michigan, USA
The only time i top off AND drip is when i know the atomizer is completely dry. I have two atomizers that i cycle, when i use one, i'm cleaning and draining the other with isopropyl alcohol.
When i take the atomizer out of the shotglass i clean/drain it in, i drip 3-4 drops on the atomizer, then top up the cartridge.
Otherwise i just top up the cartridge. I find if i drip then i get too much juice and the atomizer is flooded.

This is on a 901, may be different on a pen or other style cig.

I,ve got 2 brand new atomisers that have a burnt taste and poor vapor production anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Have you tried dripping onto them? Sounds like it's not receiving enough juice for some reason.

Perhaps they're also dirty - even new atomizers can get dirty/clogged fairly quickly.

What I do is first microwave a cup of water to a near boil, then place my atomizers inside and swirl around with a few drops of dishsoap. Then after a few minutes of soaking, run them under warm water and vigourously shake the remaining gunk out by covering both ends with my fingers. Works wonders.

Some people actually boil the atomizers directly but... that seems a bit more risky to me.

Or maybe you're just buying crappy atomizers, who knows?

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
Any idea how this dripping would work with say.... the Smoke51 disposable type cartridges that "contain" the atomizer within it ??

I ask because:

1) I don't find the flavors very flavorable (strong enough) in the first place.

2) After cutting one open, its design is VERY simplistic. A heating fillament passing thru a wad.

3) Removing the wad itself to soak will ruin the fillament, as will attempting to "manipulate" it in any way.

Just curious, as I have a sampler pack order on its way from Johnsons Creek to experiment with.

Fedor

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
I used to find that the taste after a cleaning cycle diminishes after every cleaning cycle. What i mean is, it gets better after every cleaning cycle. The taste is not as bad. I drip on it each time it happens and basically live with it as after a few cycles, the taste basically goes away after about 10 puffs.

My new M201 and M402 however, does not have a cleaning cycle at all. For those that are really bothered by the cycle taste, you might wanna try this e-cig. See if my review helps.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-reviews/4523-m201-402-my-dream-e-cigs-4.html

Zach

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2008
Detroit, Michigan, USA
I just recently cleaned my atomizers with a battery pack that i soldered to a battery connector. I was pretty amazed at what came out.

What i did was, put the battery pack on, dip the cartridge end of the atomizer in a shotglass of water, then flip the on switch and dip the atomizer several times in the water. What happened was a bunch of juice poured out, and after dipping a few times some grey/black chunks came out. When i sucked on the atomizer after i took it off the battery, there was no flavor. It had tasted pretty burned before.

I plugged the atomizer into a new battery and it works like new. You could simulate this by putting the LED end of the battery in your mouth, dipping the atomizer in water and lightly blowing several times. Just be careful and don't dip the atomizer too far into the water, i'm not sure if that would interfere with the electronics or the finicky pressure switch inside the battery.

I CANT ACCEPT ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR WELL-BEING OR CONDONE USING THIS TECHNIQUE

spyderuk

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2008
UK
I have been topping off carts with 2 drops and then I just pop 1 drop in the att to get it going. Works well on my 901, and suits the way I like to vape.

I have just had my Janty Banana delivered so I thought I would drip in my spare att. Low vapor, att getting very warm fast. Lack of juice? I dripped 3 drops, then another 3. Stille the same. Hmm, maybe this primer stuff wants burning off a little.

Nice banana when it did come through though.

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Any idea how this dripping would work with say.... the Smoke51 disposable type cartridges that "contain" the atomizer within it ??

I ask because:

1) I don't find the flavors very flavorable (strong enough) in the first place.

2) After cutting one open, its design is VERY simplistic. A heating fillament passing thru a wad.

3) Removing the wad itself to soak will ruin the fillament, as will attempting to "manipulate" it in any way.

Just curious, as I have a sampler pack order on its way from Johnsons Creek to experiment with.

You can just drip onto the coil of fabric, trying to avoid the tube in the center which contains the heating element. Go slow, and let each drop soak in before dripping the next. I would only drip 5 drops or so at a time if topping off; 10 drops the first time if refilling a dry one and then 5 at a time after that.

My results have been mixed, though. SOmetimes it works fine, other times you get little or no vapor, it just stops working altogether, or it just spits liquid into your mouth. And even if it works, usually in just a few hours it starts to spit nasty brown liquid, and it's time to toss it.

Eyespy has had better luck refilling than I have had, though. Maybe he has better tips.

Taelon

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2008
DE-Germany
What i did was, put the battery pack on, dip the cartridge end of the atomizer in a shotglass of water, then flip the on switch and dip the atomizer several times in the water. What happened was a bunch of juice poured out, and after dipping a few times some grey/black chunks came out. When i sucked on the atomizer after i took it off the battery, there was no flavor. It had tasted pretty burned before.

Yes, you must clean it (daily if possible) or it will go this way:
w ww.e-rauchen-forum.de/showthread.php?tid=446&pid=2631#pid2631
But I prefer isopropylalcohol and household steamcleaner ;)

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
I'm sorry Leaford, I had forgot that I ask a question in this post and never got back to it.

So, Thank-You for your response by the way, I received my JC shipment and had just gone ahead and experimented myself with a little cautious common sense and testing.

I found the same thing you mentioned after thinking that leaving them to absorb overnight would be enough to reduce the chance of getting a sputter of juice in the mouth when drawing.

Although I attempted to avoid the center hole with the dropper it was difficult to keep aim and some surely went into that hole.

I went as far as to allow a careless dripping disregarding the hole of one of the cartriges as an experiment and set that it asside separately. Lets just say..... it only took a light draw before it went in the trash, lol.

The other cartridges I had slow dripped about 10 drips each, and they have been varied in longevity.

So overall, they are very inconsistant so far to plan how many or which ones to carry throughout the day.

I'm still just learning and experimenting to see if I find a common ground to identify the what's and how's affecting the difference. And I'll continue to do so simply because I love the opportunity of having wonderful different tasts to choose from.

I appologize to the OP for taking this post off course slightly.

-Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread