Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
i think its smok g2 or g4. im using a smok mag 225w . but it keeps saying no atomizer. i found the tank in restaraunt bathroom. my freemax tank works fine. i just want to get rid of the spring coil thing and put a regular coil in it.
Heh. “Regular coil”.
The spring thing IS a regular coil. Some SMOK attys have changeable decks where you can put in either a coil cartridge (your idea of “regular” coil) or use an RTA coil. IF that particular atty has a removable deck (we still don’t know because we don’t know which model it is) you may be able to simply unscrew the deck leaving a connection for a SMOK coil cartridge. That particular model of coil cartridge may no longer be made though which would explain why the original owner was using an RTA deck to begin with.

As for the “no atomizer” problem it means an electrical connection is no longer being made. Most likely the “spring” coil broke. They do need to be replaced periodically though they generally last months instead of days. There could also be dirt somewhere blocking a connection. You did find it in the garbage so cleaning it is probably a good idea to begin with.

Coil cartridge generally actually have one of those “springs” inside them. The only difference between that coil deck and a coil cartridge is cartridges are designed to be non user serviceable so they can keep you buying their branded parts. That thing is designed to be easily user serviceable so you’re free of spending large amounts of money replacing what amounts to an entire deck every time the wick gets dirty.

deadfly00

Apr 13, 2019
Heh. “Regular coil”.
The spring thing IS a regular coil. Some SMOK attys have changeable decks where you can put in either a coil cartridge (your idea of “regular” coil) or use an RTA coil. IF that particular atty has a removable deck (we still don’t know because we don’t know which model it is) you may be able to simply unscrew the deck leaving a connection for a SMOK coil cartridge. That particular model of coil cartridge may no longer be made though which would explain why the original owner was using an RTA deck to begin with.

As for the “no atomizer” problem it means an electrical connection is no longer being made. Most likely the “spring” coil broke. They do need to be replaced periodically though they generally last months instead of days. There could also be dirt somewhere blocking a connection. You did find it in the garbage so cleaning it is probably a good idea to begin with.

Coil cartridge generally actually have one of those “springs” inside them. The only difference between that coil deck and a coil cartridge is cartridges are designed to be non user serviceable so they can keep you buying their branded parts. That thing is designed to be easily user serviceable so you’re free of spending large amounts of money replacing what amounts to an entire deck every time the wick gets dirty.

deadfly00

Apr 13, 2019
see?. this is why i joined this forum! i had no idea about any of this.
it was on counter in the bathroom full of juice. maybe i'll look into rebuilds if its cheaper. i already make my own juice. why not my tanks too? the tank just says 'designed by smok 0137' on the bottom. i looked around on line but the closest one i found was the rta tf g2/g4 thing. so you think the mag 225 is sufficient enough to handle a rebuild tank? thanks guys.

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
The Smok Mag has a really poor press fit 510 connector, we don't bring them into the shop anymore due to the high number of returns. The "No Atomizer" error is something you should lovingly embrace, as you will see it very often. I'd sell the Smok Mag and use whatever money you can get for it to buy something else. ;)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
The Smok Mag has a really poor press fit 510 connector, we don't bring them into the shop anymore due to the high number of returns. The "No Atomizer" error is something you should lovingly embrace, as you will see it very often. I'd sell the Smok Mag and use whatever money you can get for it to buy something else. ;)
elegantly restrained response

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
see?. this is why i joined this forum! i had no idea about any of this.
it was on counter in the bathroom full of juice. maybe i'll look into rebuilds if its cheaper. i already make my own juice. why not my tanks too? the tank just says 'designed by smok 0137' on the bottom. i looked around on line but the closest one i found was the rta tf g2/g4 thing. so you think the mag 225 is sufficient enough to handle a rebuild tank? thanks guys.
Rebuidable attys are a lot less money but slightly more work. An RTA is generally more expensive than a coil cartridge tank (though these days they’re about the same)
The cost savings come from reducing a proprietary device to non proprietary components, and throwing away less. The part of a coil cartridge that wears out by far the fastest is the cotton. Cotton actually wears out a bit faster in RBAs than in coil tanks. 2 days frequently. Cotton is (or can be anyway) a cheap commodity product. Cost less than a penny per wick. The coil can be bought pre wound and measured for about a buck, or you can wind your own for maybe a nickel in wire. Wire is a commodity product. These can last months depending on wire type and diameter.
To wrap your own coils all you need is a spool of wire (this is the single instance in vaping where eBay actually IS good), a rod of a known diameter (though merely consistent diameter of around the right size can work), something to cut the wire with, which often means a small wirecutter (though a pair of nail clippers can work) and that’s it.

My general rule of thumb is if you’re going to vape for more than a year, an RTA will be cheaper.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I am going to actually recommend that you DO stick to drop in tanks for now. Not smok though, their tanks are better than the mods but you can do better.

Honestly, check around? The Uwell Crown original still gets good reviews, vapresso makes some rather pleasant cloudy tanks, per user reports. Do better.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread