Remember all the fuss over the Smok mechanical mod with no vent holes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokerplayer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hope this helps

From the house of hybrids faq:

Q ~ Is the Zenesis vented for battery safety?
A~ The Zenesis PV is not traditionally vented with standard holes but the battery end has safety features that are important to note:
~ There is no spring holding the battery in contact, so when the button is not
depressed, there is no electrical connection. Springs in a PV can represent risk of unwanted connection.
~ The switch mechanism has air space designed into it; in the event of a battery that vents, the gasses will pass through the air space and out the sides between the button and the switch housing. The gasses will cause the air channel to increase with pressure. This is by design.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    And I call BS on that:

The Zen 2 comes with a spring in it.

Using a simple black iron gas line pressure guage in place of the 510 connector cap, mine only dropped from 120psi to about 80psi in an hour. The more the pressure ... the better it seals. The switch will not hold a vacuum, and it seals under pressure. There would have to be air slots in the plastic insulator in order for gasses to escape past the connector screw/washer. Gasses have to escape past there before they can escape from between the switch halves.
    (it's a cheap fix ZEN, so why don't you just do it!!?)

Q ~ Is the Zenesis vented for battery safety?
    A~ The Zenesis PV is not traditionally vented with standard holes but the battery end has safety features that are important to note:
    ~ There is no spring holding the battery in contact, so when the button is not
    depressed, there is no electrical connection. Springs in a PV can represent risk of unwanted connection.
    ~ The switch mechanism has air space designed into it; in the event of a battery that vents, the gasses will pass through the air space and out the sides between the button and the switch housing. The gasses will cause the air channel to increase with pressure. This is by design.

The above statement from ZEN is almost as stupid as them saying that the spring somehow magically limits the PV to +1.5 ohm coils. (as stated in the forums) ......... the poor connection does that!

Last edited:

Chopper71

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 26, 2011
    Broadway,Virginia
    I just got mine yesterday and was worried about a vent hole as welll.So I just drilled one out near the bottom.Seriously thinking about drilling another near the top.To me safety comes first before beauty.I would drill out the most beautiful device on this planet,if safety was an issue.Do what YOU think is safe,I'm sure there are some that will say"Um its safe go a head and use it".I did mine for my own peace of mind.Not saying this is the best way to vent it,just my own personal opinion.

Picture80_zpsf2f4ef9e.jpg

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    I just got mine yesterday and was worried about a vent hole as welll.So I just drilled one out near the bottom.Seriously thinking about drilling another near the top.To me safety comes first before beauty.I would drill out the most beautiful device on this planet,if safety was an issue.Do what YOU think is safe,I'm sure there are some that will say"Um its safe go a head and use it".I did mine for my own peace of mind.Not saying this is the best way to vent it,just my own personal opinion.

Picture80_zpsf2f4ef9e.jpg

Cool. I'd drill a few more because batteries swell when they get hot/vent. I think ECF has some pretty...stern...suggestions on vent SLOTS if you want to review them also.

piruned

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 30, 2012
    huntsville, al
    I noticed this too. It made me shake my head. SOOOOO I used a balloon. LOL

There is no air escaping anywhere I could see. If it was, it was such a slow rate, that it wouldn't make a difference if you had battery failure. I am waiting to see if it is possible to get a kick ring extention made for mine, and possibly getting venting drilled into this. If not, then I am probably going to check into what the word is on my "lifetime warranty" being void if I drill it out myself on the main tube.

Zen is a very smart guy. I don't see how or why this was over looked.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread