Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
We lost our good friend, Bobby Ivie (aka, bivie), on Monday night. Needless to say, this was most unwelcome news.

Bobby came into our vape world on September 3, 2012. Exactly one week after the birth of THE BIG THREAD. We recognized him by his Ten Years After album cover from their Ssssh record. Alvin Lee was his favorite guitarist. That avatar changed several times, mostly zombie stuff and even a portrait of Ronald Reagan. But he ended where he started...with Alvin Lee.

Bobby was an accomplished musician and made a professional career in writing (not-music). But I knew him for two other things. The first was the Bobby who made me laugh like so few I have ever come across, real or virtual. I don't know what it was about his humor. It hit me between the eyes. I'd light up any time I saw him make a post because I knew there would be something in it that would make me laugh. There were times I'd come close to spitting my Mountain Dew all over my monitor. He could be so serious then suddenly with one phrase have me wetting my pants. I often wondered how God could make somebody so funny. What a gift!!! Maybe some people don't find "turn signal fluid" funny, but I did. And whenever I think of Bobby I think of that auto mechanics conversation he had with Frank (aka 73, RIP). In Bobby's memory, I'm going to take a bottle of brake fluid and change the name to "Turn Signal Fluid" and keep it in my garage on the same shelf as the rest of my automotive supplies. I hope lots of people ask me about it so I can tell them about my friend.

Oddly, "turn signal fluid" was also the other side of Bobby I got to know. The more serious side. He never professed to know everything. In fact, he was a very sweet and humble man. Bobby knew a lot about auto mechanics. But he would make fun of himself just so people knew he wasn't better than them. What better way than to make a fool of himself making people believe he thinks there is such a thing as turn signal fluid. It was vintage Bobby. To know Bobby is to know he was smarter than all of us but you would never know. He didn't want us to know.

There was one other thing Bobby didn't want us to know. Sadly, Bobby suffered from chronic depression. It was a constant battle for him. He revealed this to me late one night. He often wrote me long letters. That's when I got to know Bobby and what a wonderful human being he was. My respect for Bobby was limitless. What I discovered was this brilliantly funny man was also a warrior. One can only imagine the demons he battled every day of his life. I wasn't sure what to do. I just wanted to make sure he didn't feel alone. I know I'm not God and I have certain human talents but they did not include any expertise in depression. I thought a short while and asked myself what I could do to help my friend. It was obvious. I thought of Sue (our Hula). Sue was often online late at night...as was Bobby. I knew she would be able to keep Bobby company and pay attention to him. But more so, I knew Hula had a gargantuan heart and she would understand Bobby's malady. And there are just some things a woman can do better than a man. They have a tenderness that can penetrate a man's heart a little better than another man can do. Sue was the perfect person to help. I wrote Sue explaining the situation and she embraced the challenge without hesitation. From that point forward, Sue made it her priority to keep Bobby close to her. I know they established a dear relationship. It's not always easy to know everything about someone, but let me tell you, Sue is a sweet lady. I know she hurts for Bobby.

I know many of us here have fond memories of our friend. Many of us got close to Bobby. He meant a lot to us. He slowly faded from the thread. He had trouble getting access to the internet and was consumed with moving back to Arizona. But those who knew Bobby will never forget him. Please leave your remembrances of our dear Bobby on this thread. Perhaps we can get them to his family so they know what a wonderful human being he was to so many people. Bobby had a deep faith and I know he is with Jesus now. But it has to be known he left his print on this temporal beach we call Earth and no amount of tidal waves will erase that. Not ever.

God Bless your sweet soul Bobby. We miss you. Rest in peace, Friend.

i-9br8FRk-M.jpg
i-8fKGKZZ-L.jpg

i-nDSZpFf-L.jpg
i-47wM3Hz-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kkay59

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
When I first was invited to the original thread, Bivie was already established here. I have a tendency to use phrases and Bivie would take those phrases and make them literal. I'll never forget the night I said I was ..... :oops: he had fun with that one :laugh: As did others in the Army.

I would marvel at his whit and I loved watching the exchanges between Hula and Bivie. Many a night all Hula would do is ask 'Where's my manly man?' And sure enough, Biv would pop up just a couple of posts later. We are all friends but there are special relationships within these friendships. I witnessed this with Hula and Biv.

Thinking back to the past, Biv intimidated me at first. I wasn't sure how to take him. Was he making fun of me? Was he just teasing? It was just Biv being Biv. He treated everyone with the same humor. :)

Biv hadn't posted on the thread in a very long time and he was/is missed. I thank God we did have him with us for the time we did. His presence made the place shine just a bit brighter when he was on. <~~~~ He would've had a field day with that phrase. <~~ and that phrase. :lol:

Biv, keep Z (Phil) and 73 (Frank) company in the Heavenly Lounge. We miss you guys...

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
I only knew Bobby through this forum, and he will always be "Bivie" to me. I will always remember him for his razor sharp wit and his ability to turn anything into something funny.

But we all knew he had another side to him - a serious side. That serious side was kind and empathetic, but he hid it behind his wit and humor. He was the kind of guy that I would have loved to hang out with, and I'm sure a lot of others here felt the same way.

As we get older, I think a lot of us wonder whether our lives here on Earth have amounted to a warm bucket of spit. I only knew Bivie for a short time and only in a small way. But I can say that he was a positive influence around here in that short window of time we knew him, so I can only imagine how much he influenced and affected the lives of others who knew him longer and more fully.

Bobby, I will always think of you as a friend even though I never met you in the flesh. I miss you, although I'm happy you are with the Lord. Godspeed my friend.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
I can't begin to express my sorrow at Bivster's passing. Bronze's amazing summary of an amazing man says everything. Biv, Phil, Chak and I constituted a large part of the late night crowd and it was a riotous wonderful time indeed. Biv was THE "Manly Man Doing Manly Things" and he was always "finer than frog hair" at least on the exterior. Inside though he was a very serious and exceptionally sensitive soul with a strong faith in God. I remember him telling me one time to "Shake it off. Rub dirt in it" something I suspect he tried to do often, sometimes succeeding and sometimes not as he battled the demon of depression. I shall miss you very much Biv, but I know I cry for myself, as you are in a better place. Forever in my heart. God Bless You Bobby. Rest in Peace.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkay59

Iowa Gal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Central Iowa
I'll always remember the humor..and enjoyed getting up in the morning and reading the late night banter. We've built a wonderful group of friends on this forum and Bivie was a big part of it. For those that have never experienced the situation it's hard to understand how close you can come by sharing your life with friends through the computer, but I can attest to it's power. Bivie will be greatly missed, but I am consoled knowing he is at home with the Lord.

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
He was one of our originals. You'll be missed biv, you'll be missed. Rest in peace my friend.

On a side note, I'm pretty sick of these kind of threads. I love you guys, you need to stop doing this to me. I guess the majority of us being older and ex-smokers doesn't make us the healthiest group around. :unsure:

Bivie was a huge contributor to the Heather's Heavenly Vapes Army and he is going to be missed. I feel so bad for his friends and family because I know they are going to miss him too. I remember he loved his pet bird, he was a devoted Christian, he loved his Mom, he loved guitar and he could really play, he was military, an excellent writer, and funny as hell. He spent a lot of time with me in private messages helping me with DIY vaping. Just a very nice guy who was well loved around these parts. I hope his friends and family can eventually find peace with his passing. His family will be in my thoughts and I want to give them a big *hug*. We all lost a good friend. And I take it that Bivie passed on Cinco de Mayo which is so fitting for him to go out on a fun happy day. Rock On Bivie!

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
It was a privilege and an honour to post with Biv on the night shift here on the Big Thread (that wasn't so big back then). Hula, Biv, Stat, Ice Poet, and an occasional appearance by Burly the camaraderie we shared really made the difference in those early days of stopping the analogs. Biv's sharp wit and conning mind helped take your mind off your troubles or at least make lighter burden of them so you could carry on. You will be missed brother, we'll meet again I'm sure, in that great vaping lounge in heaven. God's speed!

My prayers and hope for strength go out to Bobby's family and friends. Draw pleasure from the fact that he was a well loved and respected Big Brother to many newcomers to the ECF community.

Last edited:

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
As some of you know now, I've created a Facebook account like I swore I would never do. It's actually been fun, I've got another place to talk to you guys and I've found some old and dear friends I'd lost along the way.

Bear with me I have a point.

Facebook throws up potential friends for you with a button for friend request. At first it's rather dumb, and you don't actually know many/any of the suggestions it makes, but as you make friends the suggestions become full of people you actually know. One such suggestion today was, guess who, bivie. Just for a second I got excited and was about to click friend request. Then I remembered.

What a cruel, cruel moment.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
As some of you know now, I've created a Facebook account like I swore I would never do. It's actually been fun, I've got another place to talk to you guys and I've found some old and dear friends I'd lost along the way.

Bear with me I have a point.

Facebook throws up potential friends for you with a button for friend request. At first it's rather dumb, and you don't actually know many/any of the suggestions it makes, but as you make friends the suggestions become full of people you actually know. One such suggestion today was, guess who, bivie. Just for a second I got excited and was about to click friend request. Then I remembered.

What a cruel, cruel moment.

I hate when that happens :cry: I'm sorry.

I'm sorry for so many different reasons. That we have lost people, that we are reminded of those losses, that it is a cruel moment. At the same time, it shows that we are immortalized and we have touched other lives in our brief existence in this crazy world.

I think about the ones that we have lost and the ones that no longer visit ECF whenever I go to my profile page. There is a revolving friends list and every once in a while those will show for a brief time while I am on that page. It gives me pause and I stop for a moment to think about them.

I even did it with You, GT. I would wonder where you had gone to and if you were ok. I am glad that you call me a friend. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread